Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old March 25th, 2005, 10:30 PM

Wink I need some help on breeding my mini daschund?

I have two daschunds male and female. When i bought them i was told they where both miniatures. The male who is 6 years weighs about 15 lbs. the female is almost two years old is about 8 lbs. My concern is if the male would be to big to breed with my female. If anyone could help answer my question i would greatly appreciate it.
Old March 25th, 2005, 10:36 PM

Am I rude if I ask why you are breeding them?
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:03 PM

Well, technically speaking 'where there's a will there's a way'
However, ethically speaking.... are they registered dogs?
Do you show them in any recognized fields? ie: obedience, conformation, agility?
Do they carry any titles in those fields?
Have you had them health tested and cleared for any and all hereditary genetic disorders that the breed might suffer?
Purebred dog breeders breed their animals for the betterment of the breed, they do not keep all animals and breed them. They only keep a select few and show them to championship, then breed. If they don't meet that quality, they don't breed.
So, why are you breeding these two dogs again? To better the breed? or 'cuz you can' ?
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:11 PM
Senior Contributor

First of all, your male is oversized and out of standard. That alone is reason NOT to breed him.

Plus everything that wjranch said.
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with with other posters wrote - but this is also a question for your vet. I have had a lot of experience with mini Dachshunds - have had 7 - 4 at one time - and all were minis. Unless your 15 lb. pup is overweight, he is not a mini. Other question I must ask since my 2 main guys went through the pain and eventual heartbreak of worst case scenario Dachshund disc disease - both back and neck and Stages I and II - if either of your dogs has suffered a back/neck event, please do not breed the dog. Also, before any breeding takes place would also suggest complete X-rays of both prospective parents to determine level if calcification, if any - would be surprised if there isn't some - even if you are fortunate not to have suffered an event to date -and I hope you haven't and never will. I know that in Germany they are trying to breed Dachshunds with shorter backs to help alleviate the increase in disc disease but I don't think much progress has been made. This is a hot topic for me because Dachshunds were and always will be the dogs of my life - and I will never be able to have another one. But again, please speak with your vet. Sorry for the lecture.
Old March 26th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I say ditto to what Lucky said. Reputable breeding occurs only with purebred dogs who are bred soley for the love of the breed and to improve the standard. This does not seem to apply here. Have them s/n and enjoy them as pets. And if you are interested in the breed, look for a show quality dog and get involved, find a mentor - good breeding is hard work for no money - it costs YOU money actually- you have to love it!
Old March 26th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

SnowDancer - don't apologize! You are giving good information and sound, knowledgeable advice!
Old March 26th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Lucky, Was caught at a sensitive time. My little guy would have turned 8 on April 2 - and worse, he died April 16, 2004 - 10 months to the day of his middle of the night emergency back surgery at Guelph. Just to add an ironic twist, our American Eskimo pup will turn one year old on - April 2. I have been pointing this out to him. He has sensed my special bond with Dachshunds we meet and is trying to become an Eskie/Hound. Now if only he would respect the word "ouch" - at least when it comes from me. There had better be a Rainbow Bridge because I am counting on it. My husband thinks I am morbid, but these 2 guys were my family and not a day goes by that I don't think of them. And, I never made a decision they didn't agree.