Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:05 AM

Help talking to my roommate about her cats pooping everywhere

Hi everyone. I need some advice. I should preface this by saying that I never had a cat or any other pet that did not live in a tank/box, and I've never had to put a pet down, so I can't relate to how hard that can be, but...

my roommate's cats (Bob and Sam, around 16 yr old males) are driving me crazy. I've lived with her for almost a year, and during that year on average the cats would pee/puke/vomit (the vomit being from them eating her plants, not illness) somewhere about once a week. I thought it was gross, but she would clean it quickly and after she cleaned it I wouldn't smell anything, so that was fine. Last month it was the peeing that was really bad (Bob would constantly go by the front door). That seems to have stopped, but now its poop. This past week, every day I've woken up to poop near my bedroom door. Today was the worst, with a big poop smear outside my door (I'm guessing from scooting to clean itself), as well as "presents" in about five other places throughout the house. And it smells AWFUL. This is probably why I'm not feeling particularly sympathetic today, but I'm trying.
It mostly happens overnight/early morning, but sometimes during the day as well. Do they make kitty diapers? lol

Sam has had I think 3 UTIs this year, and Bob has several health issues and is on several medications. The last time she took Bob to the vet, the vet said it was time to think about putting Bob down, but my roommate isn't ready to do that yet.

I feel like this:

So I guess I'm asking how to approach my roommate about maybe containing the cats to one area of the house, at least overnight? I know this morning she grumbled to herself that she's tired of cleaning poop, but she doesn't seem to do anything to discipline them or prevent them from going all over the house (last week, Bob peed on her bed/pillow two days in a row, but she continues to let him up on the bed).
Another issue is the smell. The house is really starting to smell bad, but my roommate is sensitive to candles and air-fresheners, so I can't even use those other than in my bedroom. Any suggestions on cleaners or sprays that will get rid of the smell but don't have a scent? The house is owned by my roommate, so I feel weird telling her how to clean her house b/c I'm grossed out by cat feces everywhere, but I am paying to live there and I don't think it's my responsibility to have to clean up after her cats.
My other concern is how much longer Bob will live if she doesn't put him down. She's going on vacation for a week later this month and I'm paranoid that he's going to die while she's gone and I won't know what to do.

I hope my questions didn't offend anyone as that was not my intent; to me all of the vet visits/medication/clean up doesn't seem worth it to have a cat (in fact I had always thought of getting a cat when I had my own place, but this experience has turned me off of ever getting a pet that doesn't live in a tank or a cage), but these cats are her babies, so I'm trying to see her point of view of the situation. I am just afraid I'm going to step in poop one morning and blow up. I also have less than two months left of living with her, so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and suck it up.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc. extremely welcome!
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizw212 View Post
Hi everyone. I need some advice. I should preface this by saying that I never had a cat or any other pet that did not live in a tank/box, and I've never had to put a pet down, so I can't relate to how hard that can be, but...

my roommate's cats (Bob and Sam, around 16 yr old males) are driving me crazy. I've lived with her for almost a year, and during that year on average the cats would pee/puke/vomit (the vomit being from them eating her plants, not illness) somewhere about once a week. I thought it was gross, but she would clean it quickly and after she cleaned it I wouldn't smell anything, so that was fine. Last month it was the peeing that was really bad (Bob would constantly go by the front door). That seems to have stopped, but now its poop. This past week, every day I've woken up to poop near my bedroom door. Today was the worst, with a big poop smear outside my door (I'm guessing from scooting to clean itself), as well as "presents" in about five other places throughout the house. And it smells AWFUL. This is probably why I'm not feeling particularly sympathetic today, but I'm trying.
It mostly happens overnight/early morning, but sometimes during the day as well. Do they make kitty diapers? lol

Sam has had I think 3 UTIs this year, and Bob has several health issues and is on several medications. The last time she took Bob to the vet, the vet said it was time to think about putting Bob down, but my roommate isn't ready to do that yet.

I feel like this:

So I guess I'm asking how to approach my roommate about maybe containing the cats to one area of the house, at least overnight? I know this morning she grumbled to herself that she's tired of cleaning poop, but she doesn't seem to do anything to discipline them or prevent them from going all over the house (last week, Bob peed on her bed/pillow two days in a row, but she continues to let him up on the bed).
Another issue is the smell. The house is really starting to smell bad, but my roommate is sensitive to candles and air-fresheners, so I can't even use those other than in my bedroom. Any suggestions on cleaners or sprays that will get rid of the smell but don't have a scent? The house is owned by my roommate, so I feel weird telling her how to clean her house b/c I'm grossed out by cat feces everywhere, but I am paying to live there and I don't think it's my responsibility to have to clean up after her cats.
My other concern is how much longer Bob will live if she doesn't put him down. She's going on vacation for a week later this month and I'm paranoid that he's going to die while she's gone and I won't know what to do.

I hope my questions didn't offend anyone as that was not my intent; to me all of the vet visits/medication/clean up doesn't seem worth it to have a cat (in fact I had always thought of getting a cat when I had my own place, but this experience has turned me off of ever getting a pet that doesn't live in a tank or a cage), but these cats are her babies, so I'm trying to see her point of view of the situation. I am just afraid I'm going to step in poop one morning and blow up. I also have less than two months left of living with her, so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and suck it up.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc. extremely welcome!
The first thing you should it get rid of all the plants or put them where the cats can't get to them. They're making the cat sick . is the littler box be cleaned out enough, cats hates to use a dirty littler box. I feel real bad for the cats , they're old and their bodies seem to be be slowly shuting down . You should tell your roommate how you feel about her leaving the cats for a week with you, they're not your responsibility and you should not have clean up after the cats. I don't think it fair to leave the cats for a week when your roommate know how you feel about them. You have a rights to feel the way you do. I hope the cats are not in any pain , your roommate should see if the vet board pets and leave her cats there , this way the cats can get any medical attention they may need when she out of town for a week. If a cat stop drinking or eating it could get an IV right away.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:40 AM

You might also suggest a second or even third litterbox.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

What are Bob's health conditions, and what medications does he take?

What do the cats eat?

How many litter boxes are there and where are they located? How often are they scooped?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:22 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bob and Sam have been better about using the litterbox. I think my roommate finally got more forceful (i don't know if that's the right word) with yelling at them when they didn't use it and praising them when they did.

There are two litterboxes; I think it's called Breeze (it uses pellets, not litter).

Bob has several issues; I don't know what all of the medications are, but one is for his heart, one is for his kidneys (which causes inappetance), one is for increasing his appectite, and there's one more that I don't know what it's for. They both take medicam, and Bob also receives fluids through an IV a few times a week to keep him hydrated.
Old June 10th, 2012, 11:22 AM

oh, and they both eat wet food and the plants have been moved outside, so that's not really an issue.
Old June 10th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I think my roommate finally got more forceful (i don't know if that's the right word) with yelling at them when they didn't use it
So not a good idea. Yelling at cats only increases their anxiety over the situation. Praising them is for sure great, but the yelling part could backfire.

Quote:
There are two litterboxes; I think it's called Breeze (it uses pellets, not litter).
Pellet litters don't tend to be well accepted by cats (having said that, I do use pellets - as well as a finer clumping litter - for my kitties but they were raised on it and they also have the option to choose something else if they don't feel like walking on such a coarse material).

The biggest problem with the Breeze system is that the pellets need to be replaced very frequently or else they retain urine odours. Cats are more sensitive to these odours and may decide they'd rather not walk through pee-infused pellets in order use the loo. I would highly recommend your roommate at least provide the cats with one more box containing a fine, unscented clumping litter. Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract might be a good choice for the time-being.

Quote:
They both take medicam,
Woa. Are you telling me that Bob, with known renal issues, is taking an NSAID that is contraindicated for use in cats with renal issues (and can in fact, CAUSE renal failure)???? There is even a black box warning by the FDA on administering oral Metacam to healthy cats, nevermind sick ones. What are Bob and Sam taking Metacam for anyway?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 10th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
So not a good idea. Yelling at cats only increases their anxiety over the situation. Praising them is for sure great, but the yelling part could backfire.

Pellet litters don't tend to be well accepted by cats (having said that, I do use pellets - as well as a finer clumping litter - for my kitties but they were raised on it and they also have the option to choose something else if they don't feel like walking on such a coarse material).

The biggest problem with the Breeze system is that the pellets need to be replaced very frequently or else they retain urine odours. Cats are more sensitive to these odours and may decide they'd rather not walk through pee-infused pellets in order use the loo. I would highly recommend your roommate at least provide the cats with one more box containing a fine, unscented clumping litter. Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract might be a good choice for the time-being.

Woa. Are you telling me that Bob, with known renal issues, is taking an NSAID that is contraindicated for use in cats with renal issues (and can in fact, CAUSE renal failure)???? There is even a black box warning by the FDA on administering oral Metacam to healthy cats, nevermind sick ones. What are Bob and Sam taking Metacam for anyway?
I agree with you that yelling at the cat is a bad idea and the cat has no idea why it being yelled at. This could made the cat be more fearful of people and not want to use the littler box if anyone is near it. I really feel bad for the cats after reading this.

Tags
old age, pee, poop, put down, vomit