Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 28th, 2008, 02:39 PM

Changing dog food

Ok I will start off with I'm a bad mom. Peanut has always eaten Pedigree Sugar has eaten it since she came to live with us. My very good friend informed me I was feeding my dogs junk ,got me some sample packs of EVO said I should switch my dogs over, they both like the food so I want to switch.
This is a good food right? She feeds it to her Rotti along with a raw diet. If I switch do I have to feed raw too? I'm still a bit lost when it comes to the B.A.R.F diet. I just want my dogs to eat better / healthier. Do I have to do the switch slowly or can I just start feeding them the new food?
When I spoke to our soon to be trainer (they start classes in Sept.) she also to me to get my dogs off the garbage food, and on to a better healthier diet.
I also want to start making my own treats instead of store bought are there cook books for dog treats? If so which ones should I be looking for?
Please help as I am very lost here.
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Oh don't say that you're a bad mom! You didn't know any better, all the marketing and commercials these huge companies put on don't give people the truth about what's in the pets food and a lot of people don't know! The important thing is that you're looking to do something about it after knowing the truth.

You don't have HAVE to feed Raw, you do what's comfortable for you and your dogs...if you do, don't feed raw and kibble in the same meal...some ppl to one meal raw and the next kibble - do whatever works for you...I used to feed raw years ago but if I can find a suitable kibble for Kali then I won't bother going that route. Not enough freezer room at my house!

Some dogs are OK to switch right over to a new food, but others have a sensitive stomach and will have diarrhea...switch them over slowly, with Kali I did 25% of the new food for 3-4 days, 50% for the next 3-4 days, 75% 3-4 days, then 100% after...she seemed OK with this transition but every dog is different, the first time I switched her food she got major runs so I took it slowly last time...

For treats, I usually give Kali a mixture of carrots, apples, etc., but I have a Lab so almost anything I have is edible and considered a treat...
Old July 28th, 2008, 03:15 PM
-

I agree with everything szelynn said.

This is my favourite homemade treat and it is so super easy:

Salmon Treats

1 large can (15 1/2 oz.) salmon
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 to 4 tablespoons flour

Mash salmon with bones and juice. Add baking powder and enough flour for texture. Spread onto cookie sheet. Score into whatever size you want pieces to be. Bake at 350 degrees about 45 minutes until golden. Store in fridge.

There are also alot of recipes on the Recipes for Pets forum here:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Also, if you do a google search for dog treats you will get a kajillion responses.
Old July 29th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Thanks very much ,I will be going out today to get some EVO.
Also going to try some recipes.
I do have another question I read garlic is not good for dogs. So why do a lot of the recipes call for garlic powder?
Old July 30th, 2008, 08:20 AM

I believe a little garlic is OK, but not a lot...