Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Unhappy Tumor on 13 year old mutt

I have a 13 1/2 retriever lab mix she has had a tumor so some time now we have taken her to the vet multiple times and they have said with her age she may not make it through the anesthesia. Up to about a 4 days ago its began to weep and she has some how managed to lick a hole into it. I will be taking her to the vet on Monday but am wanting another opinion on what to do or what i could actually be.
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:04 PM
-

Perhaps you should ask your vet to take a needle aspirate biopsy from the centre of the lump to analyze it. It may be a fat lipoma, a cyst of some sort, a benign or malignant tumour ~ cells from the lump need to taken and viewed under a microscope to determine what it is and whether it is serious.

In the mean time, you should put a E-Collar on your dog to prevent her from doing further damage to herself by licking. Let us know how you make out!

Last edited by mummummum; October 19th, 2007 at 09:07 PM.
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

I second mummummumm's advice... get an e-collar on asap. Things get nasty quick with these things, chances are you are probably already dealing with infection. My Chloe was 12 1/2 when she had surgery to have something similar removed, the advice I got was as long as there blood work is good, no heart, kidney, etc. troubles, there was no reason not to consider surgery. Hope it's all good.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old October 21st, 2007, 08:50 PM

Thanks for the advice we got here the e-collar but she manages to lick it with it even on. We've been cleaning it with peroxide and rapped it with gauze, we change it daily as well as let it air out sometimes. But on Monday I'm going to take her into the vet to get it checked out.
Old October 21st, 2007, 11:00 PM
-

While you are thre pick up a LARGE e-collar. They are about 14-16 inches in depth and there is no way in hannah she could lick her even a front paw with one of these on.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM

It sad to say but we had to put Roxie to sleep. The surgeon said that she had fluids in her lungs and with her age it most likely wouldn't heal correctly or not heal at all. It also seem that it was effecting her hind legs, so we didn't want her to suffer with going through surgery and it not work or not making it through the surgery.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
-

I am so sorry to hear about Roxie. My condolences to you and your family.
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:20 AM

Sweet Roxie

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:32 AM
-

I'm sorry for your loss but can't help but wonder if the outcome might have been different if you got better advice earlier on about an older dog's ability to withstand surgery. Nonetheless, she a a long life with people who clearly loved her