Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM

New Member with sick dog trying not to panic

Hi! I am a new member and this is my first post. I have 2 dogs I adopted from a shelter last year. The one that is sick is Tucker a fox terrier mix who loves to eat pillows and stuffed toys. Subsequently he developed a partially blocked intestine last week which became obvious when he started to vomit Wednseday night. I took him to the vet Thursday and he was given a shot that they told me would settle his stomach. Friday he was worse - poor thing couldn't stand and wouldn't go out to pee so I took him back to the vet and they took an x-ray and said he had a partial blockage. Today the vet called and said to bring him home and see how he does but I am very worried - he does not look "right". They gave me Metronidazole 250mg to give him orally twice a day and I gave him his first dose around 5pm today. He now seems very tired, hasn't really moved from the spot he's been in for a couple hours and his heart seems to beating rather fast and hard but he's not panting - it kind of looks like his heart is beating irregularly - you can see his stomach or chest going up and down kind of awkwardly or with a wiggle to it like jello - if that makes sense. They told me to call on Wednesday and report how he is doing but I think I may call tomorrow instead - but can someone just advise if this seems Ok - I have a feeling I am not going to be able to sleep tonight b/c I am so worried about him. They cautioned me not to let him drink too much water today and he went straight to the water dish when we got home and gulped quite a bit down before I could pick the bowl up - so I am afraid maybe the water is causing some bloating or other problems??

Is 250mg 2x daily the standard dose of metronidazole for dogs - he weighs 26lbs.

I read in a older post where a member suggested plain yogurt be given as in addition to the metro as well to help the digestive tract replenish good bacteria - is that still a good recommendation - he loves any type of dairy so I am sure he would love it.

Any help or suggestions or reassurance would be appreciated. I guess I have the new dog owner jitters and a fear of not being a good "mommy". Thanks.

PS sorry for the long post.