Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I found a picture.

Name:  The hummingbird garden and nectar station 8-14-10.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  106.8 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Nice videos. I wish I dared encourage birds to visit but even on a leash DR. Seuss would catch them. Even the dog tries to catch birds, so I have to do my bird photographing away from the house. Looking at these you wouldn't believe I was taking them from beside a major road (albeit early in the morning). Hmm. these are at the top of the thread, maybe Chris can see them.
Attached Images

Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-

Last edited by ownedbycats; August 19th, 2010 at 09:33 AM.
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:32 AM

I've seen this bird almost every morning on my way home from work. Occasionally there is a heron too, but he flew away when I climbed down beside the bridge, (although it might have been the rollerblader that scared him.) The egret moved away, I spent half an hour sitting still, and he gradually came closer. It was cloudy and early so I really had to boost the ISO and the pictures turned out kind of grainy.
Attached Images

Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old August 19th, 2010, 12:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Beautiful egret, ownedbycats! Good fisher, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 19th, 2010, 09:27 PM
You can call me DOG!

Oh wow ownedbycats--those are wonderful pictures. The silhouettes are stunning.

Hazel; I have bushes of tall summer phlox in a flower bed! Maybe next year, I'll go and buy one of those shepherd hookie thing-a-ma-jigs and make a hummer set up around my phlox garden and entice more Todds!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

If you get a shepherd's hook with more than one arm, try hanging planters of red flowers from the extra hooks, klm. In spring, the red will draw them in so they can find your feeders easier

Old August 20th, 2010, 10:47 AM
-

Great pics ownedbycats, I just love those birds
Old August 29th, 2010, 06:35 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

First fall female chestnut-sided warbler

The warblers migration appears to be on--I can hear them giving their locator calls and the occasional male singing, but they're staying so far back in the thickets that I can't see them, much less get a decent shot, most days. However, I lucked out on Saturday and caught this cute little girl. She's a first fall Chestnut-sided warbler. You can tell by the chartreuse cap, gray face, yellow wing bars and the eye-ring, which all identify it as a Chestnut-sided warbler, and by the lack of chestnut on the flank, which identifies it as a first-fall female.

She was, for a warbler, quite obliging, and posed until the mosquitoes scared madame hazel off...

Name:  Chestnut-sided warbler, first fall fem 8-28-10 C1.JPG
Views: 214
Size:  185.4 KB

Name:  Chestnut-sided warbler, first fall fem 8-28-10 D.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  Chestnut-sided warbler, first fall fem 8-28-10 A.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  52.2 KB

Old August 30th, 2010, 11:22 AM
-

I just commented on your fb page about this little girlie

For the last few evening around 6ish about 200 or more Geese have been congregating in one of the fields, I took pics but they look like mere specks
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Red-tailed hawk, moving fast!

You gotta sneak closer, Chris.

I caught this accidentally while trying to take a pic of a plane. It was almost out of the frame by the time I snapped the pic, but I thought it looked kinda cool, so I cropped it and here it is:

Name:  Red-tailed hawk 8-25-10.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  32.9 KB

Old August 30th, 2010, 09:07 PM
You can call me DOG!

Wow! That's a kewl picture Hazel.

I saw an odd sight the other day. A Canadian Goose was heading in an south/easterly direction all by himself. Don't they usually fly in flocks?

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:56 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Storms can separate them...or sometimes they get separated from the flock while foraging. Was he calling plaintively or silent? If silent, he likely knew exactly where he was going and will join up with his family group of flock later. If calling plaintively (and you can't mistake the panicky sadness in the "I'm here--where are you?!" call) then the goose was likely lost.

Old September 18th, 2010, 04:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Now that Chris has her supersonic speed download capability, it's time for more pictures!

I was in the blind one day and this little guy came out of the thickets and landed at the edge of the mown lawn. Very unusual. It's a warbler called an ovenbird. It didn't oblige me by turning around, but you can see the rusty cap bordered by darker lines, light eye ring and the white spotted throat. The chest/belly/flank is whitish with dark spots....looks like a mini-thrush.

Name:  Ovenbird 9-12-10 A.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  108.6 KB

Name:  Ovenbird 9-12-10 B.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  97.6 KB

They arrive here in early spring and have a distinctive 'song': TEACH-er TEACH-er TEACH-er....TEACH-er TEACH-er TEACH-er... For a little guy, he's got a mighty powerful set of pipes.

Old September 18th, 2010, 04:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Tufted titmouse

This was another surprise--a tufted titmouse. There is a small isolated population of this otherwise more southern bird in the Eau Claire/Chippewa Falls area, but we're 40 miles too far east here to see them. And yet, here it was! It's still hanging around. I hope it can find a mate and set up housekeeping here!

This little fella is in molt, so looks kinda scraggly, but definitely a titmouse.

Name:  Tufted titmouse 9-11-10.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  61.8 KB

Name:  Tufted titmouse 9-12-10 B.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  190.2 KB

Name:  Tufted titmouse 9-12-10 D.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  46.2 KB

The song is similar to an ovenbird in that it's often two-syllable but it has a cardinal sort of sound to it. Plus the song is extremely variable! When I would hear something unknown in Eau Claire, my first thought was to look for a titmouse because they're always changing up their song.

Old September 18th, 2010, 04:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Been seeing a lot of migrating thrushes, too, but they're so sneaky... Hard to get a good look or a good picture!

I think these two shots are of the same bird, and I think it's a veery but couldn't swear to it.

Name:  Migrating thrush 9-1-10 A.JPG
Views: 191
Size:  174.6 KB

Name:  Migrating thrush 9-1-10 B.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  63.2 KB

And this one I think is a Swainson's thrush... Hard to tell for sure in the bad light.

Name:  Migrating thrush 8-31-10.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  56.3 KB

Old September 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

An empidonax flycatcher. Empidonax flycatchers are a closely related group that are notoriously difficult to ID unless you can hear them calling. This one was silent, but from the size it might be a Least Flycatcher. If you see one and you want to impress your friends, just tell them it's an empidonax flycatcher...doesn't that sound more impressive than "I don't know"?

Name:  Empidonax 9-2-10 B1.JPG
Views: 175
Size:  185.0 KB

Here's a first fall male rose-breasted grosbeak. One of our local fledglings of the year, I think, since he was pretty unbothered at being close to madame hazel and her clicking camera.

Name:  Rose-breasted grosbeak, first year male 9-11-10 A1.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  51.5 KB

And a molting male eastern towhee:

Name:  Eastern towhee 9-12-10.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  111.2 KB

Old September 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Finally, just because they're nearly gone and I miss them already, some memories of migrating ruby-throated hummingbirds:

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird in the sumac 9-3-10 A.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird in the sumac 9-3-10 B.JPG
Views: 169
Size:  166.7 KB

Name:  Ruby-throated hummingbird in the sumac 9-3-10 C.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  43.8 KB

Old September 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

One last migrant:

Name:  At ease 8-25-10 D.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  118.1 KB

And a few from earlier:

Name:  Hummers at the feeder 7-21-10 G.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  Hummers at the feeder 7-21-10 H1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  31.0 KB

Old September 18th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh Hazel I was going to ask you about the hummingbirds today. I have never seen one past the labour day weekend, but there has been a wee female around. I was worried she didn't know to go south , but she could be one from further up north . I have been keeping my feeder full for her.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I've still got some passing through here, too. The rule of thumb is to keep your feeders up for a week past the last sighting.

Old September 18th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I've still got some passing through here, too. The rule of thumb is to keep your feeders up for a week past the last sighting.
OK, I will do that.

And I do have one bush that hummingbirds like that is in full bloom, so hopefully she is getting some natural nectar from that.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM
-

Great pics Hazel, keep 'em coming

I just put my feeders back out, not too many patrons at the moment though ......the Chippies are packing their chops though and stocking up for winter.

No Hummer sightings in two weeks or so ....that's it I guess until next year.
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:34 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I keep thinking they must be through, Chris, but I saw another one this morning. At this rate, I'll have to make another batch of nectar just to keep the feeder filled for the week after the last sighting!

Old September 19th, 2010, 11:45 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I keep thinking they must be through, Chris, but I saw another one this morning. At this rate, I'll have to make another batch of nectar just to keep the feeder filled for the week after the last sighting!
You live on the Golden Path of Migration Hazel, you're a lucky duck
Old November 27th, 2010, 05:15 PM
You can call me DOG!

Swans are back

I heard a flock of swans returned to my area so I ventured out along the boulevard today to catch a glimpse.

At first, I saw these five little guys freezing their butts off in the river.

Name:  101_3238.JPG
Views: 418
Size:  96.8 KB

I looked down stream and saw a bunch of white blobs and what appeared to be more. Drove down further about a 1/2 mile and holy smokes...was there more!

Name:  101_3240.JPG
Views: 450
Size:  128.7 KB

Had to of been at least 50 of these beautiful creates.

Name:  101_3243.JPG
Views: 364
Size:  100.8 KB

My all time favorite bird.

Old November 27th, 2010, 10:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

These pics are a little bigger than on fb and I can magnify them a bit with my browser--they do look like they're mostly tundra swans, klm Beautiful birds!!!

Old November 27th, 2010, 10:40 PM
You can call me DOG!

Gonna take a trip down the boulevard tomorrow to see if they're still there and bring my good ole' trusty Minolta 35 mm SLR with me.

Quite a site to see in any event. Lots of Sea Gulls, Canadian Geese and the swans.

Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Talking (Merry Christmas, Chris)

Downy woodpecker

Name:  Downy woodpecker 12-16-10.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  75.7 KB

White-breasted nuthatch

Name:  White-breasted nuthatch 12-14-10.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  54.9 KB

One of our many (and I'm talking more than 100) goldfinches:

Name:  American goldfinch 12-14-10 A.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  51.7 KB

Old December 23rd, 2010, 11:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Notice the frost crystals from its breath freezing on its cold little face--it was about -20 F that morning!
Name:  American goldfinch 12-14-10 B1.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  54.4 KB

Some winter finches, Purple Finch and American Goldfinches:
Name:  Winter finches 12-16-10 A.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  63.3 KB

Just a bunch of American Goldfinches.
Name:  Some of the goldfinches 12-16-10 A.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  62.8 KB

Old December 24th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Your pics are so beautiful they belong in a book.

Ummm, how do you keep the squirrels from getting on your bird feeders and eating all your seed?????

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)