Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 19th, 2010, 12:12 AM

Exclamation Dog suddenly doesn't like her food

Hello Just recently my dog wont touch her Wellness Simple soloutions Salmon and rice. I just happen to have a sample bag of Acana Grasslands which i tried and she seems to be eating it.

My Mom has been putting in a little bit of Hills TD with the wellness which we had gotten for free when My dog went to get her teeth cleaned. i am not happy that she was being fed this. So i am wondering now if she knows theres a food she likes better and thats why she stopped eating the Wellness. i have told her to please stop feeding her the TD.

She had been on the Wellness for maybe approximently 2 weeks.

Anyone have any suggestions or advice on this.

Last edited by Ford; January 20th, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old January 19th, 2010, 01:07 PM

Hi Josh83,

Wellness Brand is good, premium quality food

If you have been feeding your dog dry kibble only, you might want to try mixing in some canned soft food of the same brand. Wellness has canned food that can be used as a mixer, or a substitute for kibble entirely. The food intended as a mixer is 95% meat. The first ingredient listed on the label is protein. You have a choice of lamb, chicken, beef, or salmon. Both canned foods are grain free, and of very good quality! You could also try adding in some warm water, or low fat, low sodium chicken broth with cooked carrots, green beans, and skinless, boneless, cooked chicken...

Hopefully, this will encourage your dog to eat his/her meal with gusto!

Good Luck
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:08 AM

It seems like no matter what I do she just won't eat the wellness food. So i have tried her on Acana Grasslands and she seems to like it so I think i am going to be switching her.

She won't touch the wellness.

Any feed back on Acana Grasslands?
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:02 PM

I know next to nothing about Acana Grasslands, and I have only become aware of this brand very recently, because it has been mentioned on this board. I've never seen it in any of my local pet food stores... I am assuming it is a good quality food, or you wouldn't be wanting to switch her to it. You can try doing some internet searches on this brand, if you haven't already.

If you are interested in knowing more about pet food content/ingredients, you might want to check out a food analysis link. This link has been posted in other threads, so you might have to search a little bit on this board for the URL.
Alternatively, you can do basic internet searches under the title (or variation of) "pet food(dog or cat) analysis/nutrition." This site provides a nutritional and content analysis of pet foods from the lesser quality (listed as #1) to the top quality (listed as #6).

I hope this helps...
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:07 PM

Josh83,

Acana is a very good dog food. It is made by Champion Pet Foods which also makes Orijen - but has a lower protein % therefore it is a bit cheaper. It's grain free which is also a huge plus. You should be able to find it at many pet stores.

I fed Acana to my dogs before switching to raw and they did very well on it!!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:23 PM
-

There is quite a few of us on this forum that feed Acana and/or Orijen...there is a bit of difference in the price between the two, but not enough to sway you either way imo. I have been feeding the Acana Grasslands to our dogs for sometime now and they seem to thrive on it. One of my Bassets' gets goopy eyes, but I don't think it is related to the food as the other two dogs don't

I don't know which town you live in, but it seems to be readily available in Global Pet Foods.....They have their own manufacturing plant, which is a plus imo and only use human grade food, another plus, also they are a Canadian company.