Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 10th, 2004, 05:08 PM

Nose Problem With Basset Hound

I have two Basset Hounds, one boy and one girl. Casey is my boy and has a problem with his nose. I was wondering if you all could take a look at the picture to see if any of your pets have had the same problem. Casey has had this problem for about a year and has been on antibiotics, but they do not seem to be helping. I have been told that it is Pyodermis. I have not had any luck in finding this on the internet where I could see it in pictures for myself.
Casey's nose did have a pasty mucous that would run and now when you look at his nostril you can almost see the skin pigmentation of a greenish color. I have had the scaling and crusty skin biopsied and have been told that it is pyoderma, but I am also afraid that not all tests are accurate and that this is some type of tumor.
Please take a look at the picture I have attached as reference. As you will see Casey's nose is not normal, because of the graying and the redness aroung the left side of his nose. The right side of his nose is the moist black of a normal dog. I had thought the antibiotics would work, but nothing seems to be doing anything to heal this area.
Any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you!
Attached Images

Old January 10th, 2004, 10:31 PM

The reason you might be having difficulty finding resources for this is because the diagnosis is not really defined. Pyoderma or pyodermas is a polygenic skin disease, which simply means your dog has a disorder that causes a skin problem that produces pus (infection).

What is necessary now is to find out what kind of pyoderma your dog has. It can be bacterial, it can be immuno-related or it can be parasitic (like mange or lice).

Often time, reoccurring pyodermas are a result of a suppressed immune system and are actually secondary indicators of a different problem - like an autoimmune disorder or allergies.

Basset hounds in particular, I believe, are prone to something called Malassezia dermatitis (spelling may be incorrect) and if I remember correctly, it's often present with other immuno-issues like hypothyroidism, diabetes, endocrine problems etc.

The best advice I can give you is to ask your vet for a referral to a canine dermatologist (yes they exist, and no, they don't mainly do skin peels for a deeper looking tan!) to examine the problem in more detail. Barring that, a complete blood panel and endocrine panel would be a good idea, to make sure your dog is not immuno-compromised in some way which could be contributing to the lack of healing of the pyodermic problem.

Good luck.

RDM
Old January 10th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

This post has been made in (3) area's

I understand your interest in wanting responses about your dog but one post is enuf...or things end up getting confusing.
Old January 11th, 2004, 06:35 PM

RDM Thank you!

RDM-
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I really appreciate it when someone writes to me with a response instead of telling me the rules of the site.
Again, I thank you for taking the time to get back to me with information that may help with my dog.
Thnak you!

Luba-
I did post the question in three areas, due to the fact it was a case where someone in each group may know something that concerns my dog. I am glad that I did since a couple of people have replied and provided me with great information.
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:55 PM

Re: RDM Thank you!

Quote:
Originally posted by ntc
RDM-
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my questions. I really appreciate it when someone writes to me with a response instead of telling me the rules of the site.
Again, I thank you for taking the time to get back to me with information that may help with my dog.
Thnak you!
You're very welcome. I hope you figure out the problem, and are able to clear it up.

Good luck

RDM
Old January 11th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sorry didn't mean to be harsh
but folks usually just check for 'new messages' and would have noticed yours!

Glad u got the info u wanted in all three posts
Old January 22nd, 2004, 05:08 AM
Chocolate

Luba's right.

I check all the Discussion Groups....

& it's a little annoying finding the same posts cut & pasted multiple times...

you have nothing to worry about, someone will always get a chance to answer your questions.