Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old March 27th, 2005, 08:15 PM
banned user

New Rescue

Hello All,

We are a new rescue in Ontario and are accepting small breed dogs. Although we are a newly established rescue, we have been involved in animal welfare for many years.

Although we are a small dog rescue, we will not turn away any dog in need if we have a foster spot open. Our website can be viewed at www.kismutt.com

I work in the engineering filed and live in Southwestern Ontario region. My rescue partner is a professional actress and lives in Toronto. I am sure you have seen her on T.V. commercials!! Have you ever seen the commercial "My wrists are on fire"!! LOL

If we can be of assistance to other rescue groups on this forum, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Warmly,
Kimberly Thomas
Linda Prystawska
www.kismutt.com
www.canadanopuppymills.com

Old March 27th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

HI and Welcome to you! Your website it very nice, attractive and well done.

I just have one question - are all dogs over 5 months old spayed and neutered before adoption?

I also have a suggestion which you can feel free to ignore.

I see you take owner surrenders. If you do not already do so, a surrender fee would be a good idea. This will teach people that getting rid of their pets does have a price and it's not totally without consequence. Maybe if it's not completely painless, they may think a little harder next time.

Please feel free to post pics of your adoptable animals anytime!
Old March 27th, 2005, 09:38 PM
banned user

Thanks for the welcome LuckyRescue!

ALL our dogs are speutered before adoption as well as before being placed in foster care. We have a very, very good pediatric spay/neuter vet, and any pups we have are spayed between 12-14 weeks of age. NO pup will leave our rescue before being spuetered.

I should probably note, you probably know me better as foster-in-ON on this forum! I also have the www.canadanopuppymills.com website.

Warmly,
Kimberly

Last edited by Kismutt; March 27th, 2005 at 10:28 PM. Reason: typo
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome. I took a quick look at your site but could not open all of the sections - will try again tomorrow. I have a year old Eskimo pup - adopted at 13 weeks. I did see 2 Eskies on your Home page. Would be very happy to pass on any tips I have learned - we had a bit of a shock despite my considerable research - as I am sure you will be aware or are quickly learning. But I am happy to say our pup has a very sweet disposition - just wish he would recognize the word "ouch" when it applies to anyone but him! I am aware that there was a massive rescue of Eskies in Ontario late last year and that many are abandoned between 8 months and 2 years of age. This will not be happening with our pup - you come to my house - you don't leave. I wish you much success.
Old March 28th, 2005, 12:37 AM
banned user

Thank you for the welcome, Snowdancer! I am a long time volunteer with the OSPCA and work closely with several animal cruelty officers in the puppymill field. I have visited more puppymills than I care to remember.

Unfortunately, Eskies are very popular in the mills. Just recently, I was to a mill that was crossing Eskies with white S. Poodles Pugs to Bostons and Chow's to S.Poodles

We have several dogs in our care right now, but will not be available for adoption for a while yet. They were recently seized from a mill, in southwestern Ontario. They have had to have extensive dental work, some minor surgery etc. When they are a little more socialized we will post them for adoption. However, we have several approved homes already, patiently waiting.

We will only post our adoptive dogs when they are ready to be adopted, hence, why there are no postings at present.

We currently have 2 Shih Tzu females, 1 male Shih Tzu, 1 Peke female, 1 wired haired fox Terrier (preg) , 2 toy poodles and a 55 pound hound! The hound already has an approved home, and will be going to his forever home in 2 weeks Bless his heart!

Warmly,
Kimberly
www.kismutt.com

Last edited by Kismutt; March 28th, 2005 at 12:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old March 28th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

The dogs are very lucky to have you. I haven't been able to look at your application form as yet, but wanted to mention something just in case. We did look at Rescue agencies before buying our pup, but were not "qualified" as we do not have a fenced in yard. Well a fenced in yard would have done little good for all of the years that we had mini Dachshunds - hey, just dig a hole and go under - or climb it - as my 2 special Wonder Wieners were able to do despite extensive back surgery. Then we have the Eskimo and all of the stories of people whose Eskies watched while they constructed 5' fences - only to climb them and tumble off head first in 2 minutes. Our vet of 25 years was appalled that anyone would turn us down. I am glad that you have so many homes lined up - and one for the hound. I love hounds, just too many visits to Guelph Neurosurgery. My Eskie and I have an agreement - I never want to see Guelph again. No doubt he will develop Hip Dysplasia. I am totally against the breeding of pure bred dogs to create the "something poos". I can just imagine the result of an Eskie/Poodle. Probably not that hard to get them together though - Standard Poodles are VERY interested in my guy - and while he does prefer a certain male Bassett, he will make an exception for a Standard Poodle of either sex. We had him neutered at 7 months - too many people with unspayed females were willing to risk it as they felt their dogs were much bigger than mine - right - ever heard of bending over?! Plus for a short guy, my little fellow is pretty darned tall when he stands up. When he goes to his socialization group once a week, he puts his arms around the necks of a couple of Boxers to make himself feel tall. Funny the "biggest" dogs I ever had were my two very benevolent, very Alpha mini Dachshunds - such a presence. I will keep an eye on your site though just in case we should decide to get a second dog - at the moment unlikely - but we could certainly contribute and help out. I laughed at the reference to the burning wrists from the commercial - I type 120 wpm and people were always telling me that would happen one day to me.
Old March 28th, 2005, 10:23 PM
banned user

Snowdancer: Regarding the fenced yard. If references check out to our satisfaction, and we are very satisifed with the home visit etc. etc. we would not turn anyone down because they do not have a fenced yard. Not to worry. There are rescues that have very hard and fast rules, and that is their prerogative.

Warmly,
Kimberly
www.kismutt.com
www.canadanopuppymill.com
Old March 28th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Kismutt. We definitely check out 100% - actually all but one of our Dachshunds came from a couple who used to rescue them and we were scared to death during our evaluation! We have a mutual vet who suggested us to them after our Beagle died at age 19 - there were looking for people who would understand that mini Dachshunds are not "toys" but really big guys in disguise.
Old June 15th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Just curious,
what are the qualifications people have to meet in order to "adopt or rescue" a dog from you.
Old June 15th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

How did you get hold of the OSPCA mill dogs? Did they give them to you?
I thought they usually do their own adoption directly.
Old June 16th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
I think if I remember correctly... Kismutt works with the OSPCA in London area? and has done for 17 years?
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:23 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
I think if I remember correctly... Kismutt works with the OSPCA in London area? and has done for 17 years?
I missed these posts. Yes, thanks for answering BMDLuver.

Last edited by Kismutt; June 16th, 2005 at 10:23 AM. Reason: proxy error
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:34 AM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
Hi Luba,

Your question is a good one.

I am very involved in the puppymill end of things. It is my passion. When dogs are seized I often take them home to rehabilitate. They are the property of the OSPCA. Everything is paid for by the OSPCA. And whatever medical attention they need they get. When the dog is ready for adoption, I take in applications, and between the OSPCA and myself we choose the best home for the dog. And yes, I do home visits.

www.kismutt.com
Old June 16th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'll have to check out your site, tx for the answers. I tried yesterday but wasn't able to bring it up..will try again.

Mills
Old June 16th, 2005, 01:39 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey1
Just curious,
what are the qualifications people have to meet in order to "adopt or rescue" a dog from you.
Sorry, Stacey1....I was sleeping at the wheel and missed this question!

To adopt or foster a dog, all you need is love!! (I am being cheeky). Seriously though, if you can provide a safe, responsible, patient, loving, home and you have a good history with animals, all the rest will fall into place. We would help you with whatever you needed in regards to fostering.

We do require that the main care giver have a driver's license if you were fostering a puppymill dog that was having ongoing appts. at our clinics. Foster Mom's and Dad's do not pay for any medical expenses at all, just providing transporation back and forth to appts.

If you choose to adopt, we certainly provide ongoing support with training, and questions etc.