Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 9th, 2013, 08:05 PM

Cat diagnosed with CRF

Hello everyone. I know this is a Canadian site and I'm posting from Chile, South America, so I hope it's okay! Anyway, I'm here because today my 8 year old female, indoor/outdoor(yard) cat was diagnosed with CRF. Here's the story:
It all started in mid-January when I noticed my cat, who once was told to be overweight at 10 lbs, started losing weight. She looked skinnier, but her healthy attitute was still there: eating, drinking, pooping and peeing normally, playing, sleeping, etc...Also, it's still summer over here and some days have been terribly hot, I thought it could be related to that. I called her vet and asked if it was normal she had dropped from 9 lbs to 6 lbs during this time, and he said yes. Since she was her normal self, I didn't worry that much. But this last monday or tuesday (can't really tell) she stopped pooping, still peeing though. She pees and poops once a day normally. Wednesday she stopped eating. She started looking lethargic. So her vet came to see her Thursday and said it was probably a hairball that wasn't allowing the poop to come out. I wasn't satisfied with his answer, so I looked for another vet, a new one, recommended by him, since he was out of town. I took her there Friday and the vet was really worried, said she was extremely dehydrated and that it was probably CRF. I couldn't believe it. I kept my cool while being there, but when I got home I cried because I've read info about CRF and it doesn't look very good. Also, she's only 8, most cases I've read are about much older cats. Anyway, he started IV treatment on her, took blood samples and removed her poop. Also, he told me she has gingivitis.
Today I went to see her and she looked very good, her eyes were bright again, she looked like her old happy self, but with an IV. He even removed a rotten tooth. But the vet didn't have good news: she was diagnosed with CRF. Her creatinine and BUN levels are high, which he tells me means she has kidney failure. He prescribed Hill's k/d (dry or/and wet), which she was eating and seemed to love, and told me she could mantain a healthy life even with this condition.
I can't deny the blood tests results, but he told me that cats with CRF pee a lot, and my cat didn't pee that much, only two or three times a day in the last two days. Also, I understand that cats who pee a lot change places to pee because their litter is dirty with pee. Not the case here.
Does any of you guys have a cat with CRF? What are your experiences or thoughts? I was also reading about cats who eat toxic plants that experience high levels of creatinine. Perhaps my cat lost weight because she had a rotten tooth? Any ideas?
Thanks so much.
Danny
Old March 9th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I can't give you good news, Danny, as we have lost a cat at just 9 with CRF, but others here are much more knowledgeable on the subject and have had more cats than I do. I just wanted to welcome you. I am from Australia so where you live doesn't matter, just don't think anyone is ignoring your post if there is a time difference between there and Canada. I'm sure you will get helpful advice shortly.
Old March 10th, 2013, 12:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Danny, though I wish it were under better circumstances. So sorry to hear about your cat.

With luck, one of our more experienced cat gurus will be chiming in soon, but here's a thread by one member who has experience with CRF in cats, just in case you haven't already seen it: Early Stage Kidney Failure in Cat. It's a long thread, but it's chock full of information.

I hope your kitty is with you a long time!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 10th, 2013, 02:23 AM

How was your cat doing at home in the days after IV treatment? Did she seem cranky, weak, extra thirsty?

Has your vet recommended regular fluid treatment yet or just going with food as of now?

Cats diagnosed with CRF can live happily for years when managed well, as did my girl for 4 years after diagnosis until cancer got her.

Do you have a copy of the blood work results? Did your vet also do a urinalysis?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 10th, 2013, 07:58 AM

Thank you all for your kind welcome. My cat is still at the vet's receiving IV treatment, but I did see her yesterday (saturday) and she looked much better, she was eating and that really cheered up since I haven't seen her eat since last Wednesday. It was herself again and although she has this disease, I'm happy to see her that well. I'm supposed to call the vet in a while to see how she is. She's no longer dehydrated, as the vet showed me with the pulling skin trick, that was also very good to see. Tomorrow (monday) at noon I'm bringing her home. I already bought her food Hill's K/D (dry) and plan to buy the wet version as well. That's all he prescribed, and of course, water at all times, which she has always had. I'll see how she behaves and whether she pees a lot, which I didn't see while she was still here.
Her creatinine was at 4.7 and her BUN was 60, which the vet told me could be that high due to dehydration. No, he did not do urinalysis.
I have a question about her feeding though: I know Hill's K/D is low in protein. Is that okay? Do I need to also feed her meat, chicken to compensate this low intake of protein?
I hope I can enjoy her company for many years as well, I'll do everything I can to make her feel healthy and comfy.

Last edited by uhadmeatmeowoof; March 10th, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old March 11th, 2013, 12:18 AM

I would be more inclined to find a food with better quality ingredients such as:

By Nature Organics Turkey & Turkey Liver, Chicken & Chicken Liver, Turkey & Chicken, Chicken & Mackerel, Beef & Beef Liver

Innova Flex Beef & Barley Stew
Evo 95% Chicken & Turkey

Felidae Platinum
Felidae Cat & Kitten
Felidae Grain Free

Merricks Before Grain 96% Beef
Merricks Before Grain 96% Turkey

Merricks Cowboy Cookout
Merricks Thanksgiving Day Dinner

Halo Spots Stew Wholesome Chicken
Halo Spots Stew Wholesome Turkey

Wellness Turkey, Chicken, Beef & Chicken, Beef & Salmon, Kitten, Wellness Core Chicken Turkey & Chicken Liver (other flavours are too high in phos)

Holistic Select Turkey & Barley
Holistic Select Duck & Chicken

Many more choices listed here http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food...od_data_tables

Hopefully you have some of these or similar quality foods available to you in Chile

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying