Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 21st, 2005, 11:47 PM

Question Need Help With Neuter

I have decided to keep Simba, my brothers dog. After 2 weeks of finacial bouncin around, I have got him neutered. He looks like hes wearing a big satilite dish . But how long is he supposed wear it, The vet said for about 2 weeks. Is that right?? I dont know that why i was asking. Also he got into yogurt. My daughter was feeding it to him when i was chaanging my other daughters diaper. Will it hurt him?? I dont know. Please help, and are potatoes safe to give to dogs??
Old February 21st, 2005, 11:55 PM

I'm so glad simba gets to stay with you, he's gonna be so happy with you. I'v never had a dog where an e-collar, our vet only has us use them if the dog is licking at the incision so that i am unsure of. I'm also unsure of the potatos i don't think they would hurt him but i'm not sure so better wait for someone else on that. as far as yogurt plain unflavored yogurt is actully good for dogs, if he got some flavored it's not a big deal as long as it wasn't like a whole lot i would imagine. I'd love to see some more pics of him.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:00 AM

He was licking the incision thats when we went back to the vet and got the cone thing. And it was plain yogurt, i am a health food finatic . I only give my daughter plain yogurt cuz its better for her on alot of ways.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 12:06 AM

sorry this is probably a stupid question but it's been a long time since i had a male dog neutered, does he have stitches? if he does then the cone probably has to stay on until they come out so he doesn't rip them out (candi did this when she got spayed ) and a lot of people actully give a teaspoon of plain yogurt in their dogs food, helps with giving them bennifical bacteria (or something like that). good to raise your daughters healthy, i'm like the least healthy person in the world. lol.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:17 AM

Around 7 days, when the stitches heal and the incision is closed. If he is not interested in licking then you can take the cone off too.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:42 AM

You can also get cream from the vet to put on the wound that makes it taste awful. Ozzy would not walk with an e-collar but was a licker so we got the cream. It was funny, he had his lamp shade on and would walk towards the wall and just stand there facing the wall. He did this for about 10 mins so we went back to the vet and asked for another solution to his licking. I have a tube upstairs and will check the name but I am sure your vet will know what it is. I know I will have to use it on Dexter because he too is a licker
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:14 AM

I will have to ask the vet what the cream is, thank you for your responses
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Yogourt is just fine! Plain yogourt is even really good for Simba. Some people tend to add it into the dogs weekly diet. Don't worry about that.

And potatoes as well. If they are boiled or baked are just fine. Try to let him have just plain potatoes.

Glad you're keeping Simba! I hope everything works ouf for you guys! Please stick around!!!
Old February 22nd, 2005, 09:55 AM

Potatoes

When I was learning about BARF diets a few years ago I read that potatoes are hard to digest for dogs and because of the plant (lily?) family that potatoes are from, which is toxic to dogs, they shouldn't be eaten.

Lisa.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:36 AM
Furless/Furred/Feathered

Only raw chunks of un-cooked potatoes would be hard to digest due to the shorter digestive tract in dogs. Cooked, mashed, just not in large quantities is fine (he must have gotten into some I take it?). I am glad you have Simba and great to hear he's doing well. Hugs to you and yours .
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so glad you are keeping Simba I am sure that would have made Doug very happy to know that Simba is safe and loved. I have posted a few links for you about toxic and non toxic veggies and fruits. Yogurt is great I give Buddy 2 tablespoons everyday but it must have asidopholous (sp) in it for it to be worthwhile. There is some good info for you below and you know that we are always here for any questions or pictures (hint hint) that you might have. Good luck and having Simba with you is like having a little bit of Doug with you in your home

http://www.diamondpaws.com/health/barfveg.htm

http://hattrick-dals.home.att.net/Diet.html

http://www.dogworksinc.com/main/dogtalk/fruits&veg.htm

also ather good info on here for things like porcupine quills it is a good quick reference guide
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Performance Spaniels

When my puppy had a uti I was told to feed her half a cup of yogurt with active bacteria every day for 2 weeks (along with her prescription). A little bit of yogurt would be harmless.
Old February 25th, 2005, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for keeping Simba!! He sounds like a great dog, and good for you for doing his neuter right away!

Yogurt is great on a regular basis, and if he doesn't like the e-collar,(everyone laughs when I suggest this) but try putting a t-shirt on him, through his back paws and knot it at the waist. Soft, white, 100% cotton, much nicer than an e-collar for him!!

Now brace yourself, here come the "thong" comments.....hee hee hee