Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:08 PM

Question how do i get rid of the smell of cat pee

We had a problem with one of our cats peeing on absolutely everything. Clothes, furniture, the floor, shoes, in my sons toy box, our beds and pillows, the curtains, etc. Anything but the litter box. He was fixed, we tried everything we could think of and every suggestion others could offer. We couldn't get him to stop and eventually had to give him up as it was destroying a lot of our stuff and causing one of our other cats to join in on the behavior. Its been two months since we gave him up, now our problem is getting rid of the smell. I've used a lot of antibacterial febreze which has done a good job on most of the problem area's, but I still smell cat pee when ever I sit on our couch. I'm not sure what else I can use on furniture that would help (our couch is some weird kinda fabric, not vinyl or leather or anything). Any suggestions?
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM

I would suggest using an enzymatic cleaner such as Natures Miracle. If you have a lot of carpet/furniture to cover I would steam clean it all. Make sure you use a steam cleaner approved enzymatic cleanser.
Old September 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyGroove View Post
We couldn't get him to stop and eventually had to give him up
Aww, poor kitty. Did you ever take him to the vet for a check-up?

Try the enzymatic cleaner as Digston suggested, although if the urine has soaked through into the foam, you may never get rid of the smell.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 14th, 2011, 12:52 AM

For any surface (ie floors, trash can, couch etc) homemade enzymatic cleaner: Mix 1 cup water + 1/4 cup isopropyl rubbing alcohol + 1/4 cup white vinegar in a spray bottle spray the affected area blot w/paper towel or clean rag, spray again & leave to dry

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooks View Post
I have some pet cats too.a month ago i adopted a cat who is a kitten but unfortunately suffering from some allergy for few days ago.I need some advise that how can i get my cat free from this allergy permanently.Should i contact any vet ?
Slightly off topic. How do you know it's an allergy? Allergic reactions can take many forms. A vet will be able to rule out any other cause of the symptoms you are seeing. So yea, a vet visit would be beneficial
Old September 14th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Aww, poor kitty. Did you ever take him to the vet for a check-up?
We did before we got him fixed and the vet had said there was nothing wrong physically, that it was a behavior issue and when we got him fixed it should help. Didn't help in the slightest though. I felt so awful about giving him up. He was really a very sweet cat. He went to a one kitty home though, and I think that was probably the problem in the first place. We have 3 other cats besides him.

Thanks for the help you guys! I have no idea why I never thought of steam cleaning the place. That should have been obvious. Now I'm feeling kinda dumb. lol... and that homemade enzymatic cleaner should come in handy for the areas I can't steam clean!