Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 9th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Owned by Saints

Dog has clicking joints - Answered by Dr. Van Lienden

When my Saint pup was 6 months old he started having clicking hips. My vet did not think it was HD. Although I know clicking hips are one of the symptoms.

He's now 10 months and I've continued to hear the click daily for those 4 months. I assumed the sound was still coming from his hips. But I got him to lay down and I rotated both hips around and heard nothing.. So for the heck of it I rotated his 'ankles/wrists' On all 4 legs. And they click. I couldn't hear the click but I could feel it. I think that's where the sound is coming from now.

I just got off the phone with my vet and X-rays are about $150 plus tax. Including exam and 2 different x-ray views. That's sedating him also since I doubt he would hold still. So regardless I'm going to get his hips checked after Christmas.. but this clicking ankle/wrist thing has me stumped.

I did a search and couldn't find any info on clicking ankles/wrists. Anyone know of a reason/condition as to why they would click?

Thanks
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:03 PM

Maybe the ligaments are too long, but there's nothing wrong with the acetabulum? You know what I mean? I'm a very loose jointed person and I crinkle and crackle all day long.

All I know is there was a yeller lab at our park with clicking hips and she got the whole HD workup and had nothing visible (they wanted to use her as a rescue doggy and this was a problem for that).
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Honest Contributor

rayne, have you talked to your boy's breeder about this? they are the best resource for all health & temperament issues and should be your 2nd phone call after the vet (or even your 1st!).

:king:

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Owned by Saints

I haven't called the breeder.. She is a former friend.. Technically a BYB. Both parents are clear of HD, and ED. But I'm not sure about the rest of the line. She won't even talk to me.. I gave her heck because she is planning another litter when she promised that Bubba's parents were going to be spayed/neutered since she decided not to show either one of them.

It's really a long story that started with good intention.. but sadly I can't rely on her.

Prin, Bubba wrists do seem loose.. I can move them side to side easier than his ankles. And the front do seem a bit more noisy.

Last edited by RaYne; December 9th, 2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Honest Contributor

sorry to hear about that... the ex-friend... sigh

have you joined a Saint forum? i participate on two akita forums and the info there is invaluable: many breeders usually are on board to help answer questions so you may get good answers and insights there? every breed has its particular ticks and tocks so speaking with your peers can be enlightening and very supportive.

just a thought...

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Owned by Saints

I do post on a large breed forum. But I haven't found any devoted strictly to Saints.

But I did get my question answered on the other forum.. Basically the clicking is due to a lack of synovial fluid in the joints. Why that happens I don't know. But since Bubba is still young it is easily fixed with the use of Glucosamine & Chondroitin. Left untreated from what I've read it can eventually turn into degenerative arthritis or it could be the onset of arthritis.

I'm going to get my vet to check for degenerative arthritis when I get Bubba's hips X-rayed. Better safe than sorry.. And I'm going to start adding Glucosamine & Chondroitin and Vitamin C to Bubba's diet.
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:31 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

You can most likely add all that you need to his diet by using Missing Link with Glucosamine Chondroitin not the regular one. Our vet took a look at it and the levels are where they need to be. Just a suggestion.
Old December 20th, 2005, 09:46 AM
Administrator

This may be an indication of joint laxity or a developmental problem, or it may be unremarkable. Have you ever cracked your knuckles? The source of that sound is the sudden release of air bubbles in a joint space. No harm in the cracking sound, but it can be dramatic.

If there is any lameness in your puppy or reluctance to walk/play/run/jump then have her examined and possibly radiographed (x-rays) to see if there is an underlying cause for the clicking noises.

At the very least I would make certain that you are feeding an adult diet to such a large puppy, avoid puppy chow in large and giant breeds after four months of age. Slower growth reduces developmental problems, and the puppy will reach normal size within the two-year mark.

Dr. Van Lienden

Dr. Raymond Van Lienden DVM
The Animal Clinic of Clifton
12702 Chapel Road, Clifton
Virginia, U.S.A. 20124
703-802-0490
Old November 8th, 2006, 06:10 AM

Smile Clicking jonts

I have a 8 month old Chow Chow who also has clicking joints. He has had it for a couple of months. I have had all the xrays done & it showed the joints as being good. He seems to be stiff when he gets up fron his naps. The vet has told me that it is basically growing pains. Because he is growing so fast.He should grow out of this by 18 months. He has been off puppy food since 6 months. My breader suggested that I give him Glucosamine & Chrondroitin, as she has had this issue with 2 of her larger males. It seems to help with the clicking & stiffness