Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 8th, 2011, 11:37 PM

Question It's down to two choices...pen or muzzle.

Well update on Thor's destructive ways...
He's chewed half way thru a lap top cord(I now remember to put that up when I'm not home).
He chewed ALL the way thru my bf's ethernet cable for his xbox360.
He's destroyed one of my favorite summer shoes(didn't even get to wear em this year either! ugh!)
He's made FOUR holes in the carpet.
He's chewed the bottom of one of my kitchen table chairs.
He's stained my carpet in more places then I care to admit!(He hasn't even hit the pad ONCE in the last 3 days, after being like 95% trained to the pad...so wtf!?)
Basically if it was just the staining of the carpet I could deal with it(we plan to buy a steam cleaner)....but he chews ANYTHING you happen to forget down, or anything the cat knocks down to him....my shoes, well he managed to squeeze thru a hole I didn't notice in the gate where it met the wall, went into my walk in closet, and ya...kinda glad it was just ONE pair...altho figures it would be the ones I liked the most!
It's not due to lack of toys...he has about $150 worth in toys...I've tried everything from rubber, to rope, to plastic, to stuffed. Seems destroying things are WAY more fun.
So bf and I talked...we can't allow this much longer....so going to talk to the vet weds, and see the pros and cons about a muzzle on a little guy his age. That way he can still run free, but can't do damage.
Altho with a muzzle on, it means he can't play like he's use to....so I'll admit, I'm leaning towards transforming our gates into a puppy pen(they're metal cube thingys...lol)....so recommendations on pen sizes?
With the amount of cubes I have, if I go 2 ft high(he's learning to jump a little now, so gotta go higher then I have now for gates to be safe...he hasn't jumped them yet, but will soon I think)...I can make a cage about 5ft by 5ft....would that be ok for a 5 month old jack/pappillon??
I wish I could keep him free range in the living room/kitchen...but I can't, not without risking my home or things...and not without risking his health...cause one of these days what he destroys could hurt him!
I'm at a loss what to do anymore....I love him to death, but he's DESTROYING everything!
Angie
And it's not due to lack of exercise...I play approx an hr with him each night, AND we take approx an hr walk each night(he usually tuckers at the 45 min to hr mark).
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:46 PM
-

Muzzling a dog for extended periods is not a good idea. It's simply too dangerous. If he vomits he may choke. he cannot drink with a muzzle on. He could get the muzzle caught on something. Excessive rubbing/ abrading his snout etc. etc. .....

Creating a puppy-proofed, hazard-free zone with X-pens or jerry-rigging with gates is a good idea!

Some breeds/ dogs are more prone to chew and mouth than others ~ you may just have the "pick of the litter there". Some where in Pets is a thread about our destructo-puppies/ kitties and all the household goods we have gone thru with them.

I know the puppy-years are tough. Hang in there!
Old April 9th, 2011, 12:00 AM

Thats what I thought....hense why the bf and I just had the discussion of a pen. Not sure exactly where yet tho...debate is between the dining area, or in the living room(with it being lined fully in puppy pads)...in the dining area means moving our table to the spare room for now(which the bf is bawking at)....so he wants the living room.
I just know we have to decide by sunday....as that's when it'll be resurrected...as bf is home the next 2 days, so no need for Thor to be in it...as when we're home, besides the not going on the pad, he's good as gold! He knows better. We just look at him, and he stops dead...lol
I just thought I had it bad enough with 1 cat that LOVES wires....if you leave head phones, phone chargers, etc(anything with smaller wires) she destroys them!...and another cat that LOVES to eat your bread, oatmeal,pasta, etc(anything with a plastic bag)....and now I have a puppy that destroys everything they miss....sigh...only me!
lol it's laugh, or cry...and frankly, I'd rather laugh...cause yes, they try my patience, and can surely make me wanna cry sometimes, but at the end of the day, when all climb into bed with us, you can't help but smile at your family, and love we all share.
Angie
Old April 9th, 2011, 12:40 AM
-

Well there you go Thor ~ we haven't had a thread like that in awhile. Why don't you start us off? I will warn you though.. a "Things My Animals Have Destructo'd" is NOT for the faint of heart but it is good for the funny bone. Mine got a darn near an entire couch.
Old April 9th, 2011, 12:44 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor's Pet View Post
Thats what I thought....hense why the bf and I just had the discussion of a pen. Not sure exactly where yet tho...debate is between the dining area, or in the living room(with it being lined fully in puppy pads)..
Washrooms and laundry rooms are often a good option as they are tiled/ concrete and easy to clean with nothing to chew but metal/ porcelain.
Old April 9th, 2011, 02:40 AM

There is also the option of a crate and you can get one a little bigger than he would need as an adult. Cord chewing can lead to electrocution, not to mention the risk of ingesting a foreing object with his chewing and destruction. Protect your puppy! Long periods of crating are not idea, but it's a lot safer than eating everything in your home, plus they are great for traveling and other big changes in their lives. Good luck.
Old April 9th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi

I see u mentioned him peeing on carpets. I was told when I got Mindy last year that to dogs who are pee pad trained a carpet to them looks like a huge pee pad. So that is why Thor is probably peeing on the carpets.

I know for cats if they chew on wires u can spray a bitter apple on them and they usually leave them alone...I don't know about dogs.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)