Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 16th, 2010, 05:41 PM

Raw bones?

Where do you feed your dog raw bones? I mean not on teh carpet right? Do you feed on a blanket on the ground or in the kitchen and mop and bleach after?

Where do you give your dog it's bones? I can't outside cause we live in an apartment. Balcony okay?
Old April 16th, 2010, 05:57 PM

I give raw bones and they end up on the carpet, which is dirty anyway and is a rental, I don't question what is growing on it. I will try and get a carpet cleaner.
But for people who obviously care about the state of their home, I would recommend a non-absorbent surface that can be cleaned after, kitchen floor, balcony would be fine, or a blanket covered area that can be washed. A dilute bleach or similar cleaner would remove bacteria afterwards.
Outside is always a great option in good weather, if you have access to a fenced area.
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Balcony is fine. Scruff eats them in the backyard. He's so used to that, if I try to give him one in the kitchen he'll sit at the back door until I let him outside.
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I give mine outside at first and let the dogs clean off the meaty stuff out there and then they're allowed to bring them inside. By then the outside of the bone is cleaned off and it's just marrow in them. I don't find the raw bones to be any more messy than the smoked bones I used to give the dogs as treats. The smoked ones smelled yummy but they were really greasy and the carpet would sometimes get slick with it and then the dogs would want to lick the carpet.

I've heard of some people giving raw bones in the bathtub or shower and then just washing it down afterward.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Brina either has hers outside on the deck or grass, but if she is inside then its on her bed, (double cover) that you just unzip and wash once aweek with our bedding.
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Well yesterday I gave Luna her first raw anything, it was a turkey neck.

I've never seen her enjoy anything as much as that! She ate it on the balcony cause I can bleach it down today. But I'm definitely giving raw treats instead of cooked bones. $1 compared to $8....
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:06 PM
-

I give the Bassets their raw bones either in the yard or in the back room adjoining the kitchen...they are not allowed in the living part of the house with them...Jack (JRT) gets his in the basement or the yard. I don't trust what he would be like in close confines with the others