Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 18th, 2007, 08:01 PM

agression on walk

Hi,

I have a 2 1/2 years old female beagle which i got 1 year ago. I know little about her past life except that she was an active puppy and she was pushing the leash a lot.

Now i have a big problem when i walk her and she sees other dog she goes crazy , jumping in the air trying to escape the leash barking and if i let her go she attack. She doesnt hurt but i really dont like it.

When i take her to the dog park witout a leash shes much better. She only attack with a reason.

Please help me! tell me advices what should i do with her!
And i dont have any money for taking her to obediance class
Old June 30th, 2007, 10:57 AM

You have to train her...

Firs of all, she has to see you as the pack leader... check out this for starters.

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
http://www.nomorehomelesspets.org/be.../dog/nilif.htm

Also, are you walking your dog or the dog is walking you?

You need to assert your leadership on the walk. Go where you want, when you want and at the speed that you decide.

When you see a dog and she starts acting up. Turn around and walk the opposite direction. When she settles down. Turn again and repeat exercise. Eventually she will get it. If she acts up, you will turn around.

The most important thing is patience and dedication... However. I will encourage you to find a professional trainer and have him look at the dog. See what he has to say...

Good luck.
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Though I think practicing NILIF is always a good foundation, I don't think that leash reactivity is necessarily tied to a leadership issue.

What has worked well with one of my dogs was to first find his comfort zone, meaning the distance at which he could still see dogs but was calm enough to be able to pay attention to me and not react. We would walk around a park where lots of dogs played, but on the otherside of the street to start.

Every time he would se a dog, he get a bunch of treats (tiny, tiny treats). Once he got the idea that dog=treat and would offer eye contact, I put a word to it. We just practiced that for a while until he was reliably looking to me for treats and understood the command.

After that we started closing the distance between us and other dogs. You need to go slowly though, if you start to notice your dog getting worked up, you've gone to fast.

We would also carry treats on all our walks, so that if we ran into a dog unexpectedly, we could be consistant about seeing a dog, giving the command, then rewarding with a treat.

Once he got to the point where he could be fairly close to other dog and still respond reliably to my asking for his attention we basically phased the treats out almost all together.

A few other things that helped was "talking" him through walking by another dog, basically saying anything, but it acted as an attention holder.

If we're ever in an area with alot of dogs and I notice that Streets is getting a bit overly focused on the other dogs, I find that practicing basic commands helps him relax.

Hope that helps.