Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 20th, 2008, 07:15 AM

Need advice on Sugars eye problem

A little info before I go ahead. For those who do not know or remember Sugar is a mill rescue dog. I have had her over a month now, she came to me with an ulcer in her right eye. We have to put drops in 2x a day ,this is very traumatic for her she nips at us and the dropper, she must be muzzled for this. She does not trust us anymore ,after drops I hold her and try to comfort her she will pant for a long time after getting her drops. Sugar had a check-up Thursday for her eye our vet said there has been little to no improvement so he changed drops. If this round of meds do nothing her eye will have to be removed ,but if it works she will continue drops for life. Friends have said it would be better to have the eye removed due to the fact that the daily dose is causing so much trauma and interfering with her trust of humans. Other friends said she will just get use to the daily dosing. I am so lost and fear she will never trust us. I should add she gets her favorite treats only after her drops. Please help us.
Old July 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM

Hard to say what to do since some dogs (& cats) will get used to an "uncomfortable" procedure with time, however some react worse over time.

Have you tried Rescue Remedy to help calm her down before applying the meds?

I'd say see how it goes first, before deciding, with this round of drops - when's the next check up?
Try the Rescue Remedy, if that doesn't calm her somewhat during med time by her next visit then maybe discuss surgery options

How does Sugar act around you the rest of the day? Is she showing fear-aggression at times other than med time?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 21st, 2008, 09:58 AM
-

No advice for you Lotus, only hope the situation improves for you and Sugar, she is such a sweetie

Last edited by Chris21711; July 22nd, 2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old July 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM

Sugar sees the vet on Thursday morning. Our vet is going to explain the risks involved with the removal of the eye. I have told him what she goes through each time I give her the drops.
We were making great progress with her but now see runs when we come near:sad: won't let us pet her anymore, on a good note she still follows me everywhere.
Doing the treatments are so bad she defecates and urinates when I put drops in her eye shakes so bad I feel sorry for her.(also guilty because I'm the cause of her fear) :sad:I hate having to put her through this. If she were a dog that I raised from a pup yes things would likely be different but given her past she must think I'm no different than her last home.
Old July 22nd, 2008, 12:00 AM

Given that kind of reaction, IMO she probably won't get use to the treatments I would discuss in detail the surgery incl risks/outcome/side effects/recovery & rehab

for Sugar

Old July 25th, 2008, 06:56 AM

Went to see the vet yesterday , Sugar will keep her eye. Dr showed me a different way to apply the drops and it seems to work less traumatic for her. Also said she is spoiled(bad 2 year old) and knows if she cries and fusses I will give in to her Dr. said it is time she learns we are boss.(sounds cruel don't it) She has been with us over a month and should know she has a good home HS predicted her age at 2-3 years our Dr. predicts her age at 1-1.5 years saying malnutrition does wonders to the oral health. Also explained the ulcer is high in the eye so she still has some sight and may regain more once inflammation is down He also said we should find a good school and enroll both my dogs once again saying my dogs are spoiled rotten and they know it. I will follow his advice , I have already spoke to a few friends about the classes they take their dogs to, most are on summer holidays.
Vet holds a lot of hope that Sugar will be a good dog, he also suggested I attach a leash to us both and take her where ever we go and Peanut too. Peanut likes to bark a lot and the leash thing will help with this as he will be close enough to get the "NO BARK" command to him also said more humane than the bark collars. This was the longest I have ever been in the vet office good thing he charges visit not by the hour.
Let me know what you think about the info the vet has given; will it help or a waste of time They will start school in the fall. I know it will be helpful.
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I don't know anything about training a dog, but have heard of very well doggie educated members discussing this and not allowing your dog to be boss. I am sure they will be along shortly to give you advice.

I did want to say I am glad Sugar will be keeping her eye

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Question Peanut is 5 can a dog be too old for school?
Old July 25th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

a dog is really NEVER too old to learn.
Old July 25th, 2008, 10:20 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We inherited a springer spaniel at the age of 5 and she was sharp as a tack--took to learning the new stuff with no problems. So I think you'll have good success with Peanut--and Peanut will enjoy it too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM

A Little Late

Hey Lotus, sorry for the late reply... but if your little one needs her eye taken out don't worry... she will never remember she had two to begin with.

Gizmo is doing great and having one less eye hasn't slowed him down at all. He is even picking fights with Tonka again. We have started splitting them up during the day because we don't want anything to happen to the other eye.

And no one even notices that he is missing an eye until they get real close and pet his hair away from his eyes.

I do not regret my dicision to have Gizmo's eye removed. He was back to normal with in two days.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old July 26th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Lotus - good to hear the Vet thinks she can keep the eye & her sight isn't too affected I'm glad she is better with you applying the drops in a different way.

Training is good at all ages, a dog is never too old to learn something new

Old July 27th, 2008, 05:36 AM

Thanks for all the good information and support. Sugar has been doing great I know it's only been a few days but you can really see how the drops are helping. My Daughter came for a visit and even commented on how good the eye looks. We took her to the park for her first real walk ,thought I would have to carry her most of the way while hubby walked Peanut. To my surprise she walked the whole way she was so proud tail up and prancing it was so cute.
Old July 27th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Sounds like everything is going great

Please do take her as soon as you can to obedience school, I'm sure it will help improve her "spoiled" temperment & give her some much needed self confidence

Old July 28th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Peanut and Sugar will be starting school in September Spoke to trainer on the phone(1hr) today ,she gave me pointers to get started before we start school. She sounds very good came highly recommended by our friends.
Old July 28th, 2008, 11:20 PM

sounds great!