Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 12th, 2009, 03:58 PM

Question TICKS! Worms! What do I use?: Revolution? Heartguard? Frontline? Advant. Multi?

I have one 17 lbs indoor cat and one 10.5 lbs miniature pinscher. Last year, I had them both on Revolution (vet recommendation). I never had a problem with fleas/ticks on my cat, but I did find about 5-10 ticks on my dog after she’d come in from being outside…and 2 on me! We have a small yard with a bit of overhang from the woods behind.

Here’s my situation/dilemma: Our local newspaper just reported that the ticks are supposed to be horrible this year in Missouri. Way worse than in the past. From what I read on the Revolution website, their product only protects against ticks on dogs, specifically American Dog Ticks. Missouri has the American Dog Tick, Brown Dog Tick & Lone Star Tick. With 4 million deer, I'm sure we have deer ticks too!Revolution for Cats does not protect against ticks.

I’ve been looking for a product or combination of products that will protect my dog and cat from: fleas, ticks, heartworms, other internal parasites, ear mites, etc. However, it seems that everything overlaps in one area or another and I don’t want to use too much and OD! I've attached a spreadsheet that I've been using to try to keep track/differentiate all the products.

Any suggestions for the dog and cat? What's your preference?

One other question: When I apply the Revolution on the dog, I have a hard time parting the fur and getting the medicine all the way to the skin. It always seems like the fur soaks it up since the fur is so close to the skin. Is the Revo still working even though it isn’t all getting to the skin? It turns white and flaky on the fur.

As usual, thank you in advance for any help. You all are great on here. I’ve gained a lot of knowledge from reading past posts! I searched, but couldn’t find an answer to this one.

Sorry this is sooo long!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Animal Meds.pdf (9.5 KB, 195 views)
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I cannot answer your question,but I am sure someone else can.
We really do not have a Tick-problem here,but I've seen the awful looking things in other places.
I use only Advantage on my 3 cats and only for 2 month,mostly for fleas.
Love your pics,who is the little guy with your kitty?
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:10 PM

LOL, that's my other furkid. Java the min pin when she was only 8 weeks old! So innocent then. Now she's a little stinker. Thank you for the info!
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

There's a new product out called Vectra 3D that you might want to ask your vet about. Problem is, it's so new your vet probably hasn't heard of it yet, but maybe they can contact Summit VetPharm and get some info. There is a cat product as well which is geared towards fleas only, but the Vectra 3D for dogs also repells and kills ticks, lice, mites, mosquitoes, and sand flies.

More info: http://traciehotchner.com/blog/?p=405

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler

Last edited by sugarcatmom; May 12th, 2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

We have a huge tick problem here. So far there is no tick killer for cats like there is for dogs. Please don't use dog revolution on cats as it can kill your cat.

I keep a look out for ticks on my cats and we have some tick pullers that we purchased from the vet. Fortunately, Lyme disease is not a problem for cats as it is for dogs and humans.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

This is what I just read, might be worth considering.

One last point: If deer ticks and Lyme disease are present where you live, you may want to consider administering a Lyme vaccine to your dog to provide that extra protection. Your veterinarian can tell you if this extra precaution is a good idea for your area.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We have lots of ticks in the area and use Frontline Plus on our dogs. It's not 100% but it's the best we've found so far. We only have dogs, though, not cats. The Frontline Plus is good against a variety of ticks (we have wood and deer ticks here), fleas, flea eggs, and a number of internal parasites. Not sure if they have a similar product for kitties, though.

As happycats suggests, the Lyme vaccine might be worth looking into if Lyme's disease is endemic in your area. We've had no problems with Lyme's since we've begun vaccinating against it--however, anaplasmosis has been a problem, and ehrlichiosis is also common around here. I think babesiosis is also found in MO? All these are tick-borne and your dog should be checked once a year for exposure--and sooner if any symptoms (unexplained lameness, rotating lameness, lethargy, fever, etc) appear. There is a 4DX snap test put out by Idexx that tests for heartworm, Lyme's, anaplasmosis and ehrlichiosis--costs about $65 and the results are while-you-wait.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the replies and advice.

Sugarcatmom, I will have to ask my vet about the Vectra 3D.

Love4himies, dont' worry, I've never used a dog product on my cat! That would be deadly! I've only used Revolution for Cats on my cat. I useRevolution for Dogs, on my min pin.

I also do a tick check on the animals at night. What tick tool do you use? I've been looking at the Tick Twister and Tick Key. Thought about purchasing the twister because it has pretty good reviews.

Happycats, I will have to ask the vet about the lyme vac. He's never mentioned it. I did read this: Lyme disease is currently causing significant concerns in the northeastern United States. Although Missourians should be informed about the disease, its occurrence in Missouri has yet to be medically documented. In the eastern United States it is spread primarily by the deer tick (Ixodes dammini) that does not occur in Missouri. Presumably the disease can also be spread by the American dog tick (Dermacentor variables), and the lone star tick (Amblyomma amercanum), both of which occur here. Missourians should not overreact to this potential threat but continue to minimize their contact with any tick-born disease. I wonder how old this article is though... no date. So now I wonder.

Regardless, thank you to all for your advice!
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:26 PM

Hazel, I must have been replying to the other posts when you left yours.

I think I need to look into that 4D snap test. I'm surprised it's only $65 +/-. That's not too bad considering it's checking for so much. I kind of wonder why my vet and the Humane Society never mentioned the lyme vac. or this test.

I think for the ticks/fleas, Frontline looks the best. Now I just need to find one that takes care of the worms!

There is a Frontline for cats, too!

Thank you!
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:03 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Frontline is supposed to protect against whipworms, hookworms and a few others. Nothing is 100%, though--and the 'worm load' was so large one year that it overwhelmed the effects of the Frontline. However, Merial made good and paid for the treatment in the dogs that tested positive for hookworms It did teach us, though, that you have to be vigilant even when using a topical.

The Lyme's vaccine isn't usually recommended unless there is a lot of Lyme's disease in your area. The vaccine is safer than it used to be but does have risks (as all vaccines do) and it seems to be effective in only about 80% of the animals vaccinated (or at least that seems about the right ratio for the dogs we've owned ).

The snap test has been around for quite a while, but doesn't seem to be widely used except in areas where tick disease is very common We just happen to live in Tick Central. Oh. Joy. Whoopee.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 19th, 2009, 12:42 AM

Is Vectra for cats available in Canada yet?

Is Vectra for cats available in Canada yet?

I will be asking our vet about it, but I was wondering if anyone has tried it yet and what you thought. Also wondering what is the price range might be.

Thanks

~ Twocents, Ontario, Canada