Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 15th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Bluebear

Should I spay when test come back saying dog is sick

Hello my Female Great Pyrenees/husky dog is 15 months old this weekend. I am tentatively booked for a spaying this Wednesday. Her test came back with 3 high areas.

Urea 11.2
Creatinine 166
White cell count 19.6

She has had the white cell count problem since I got her at 14 weeks. They feed her a weird type of greasy meat. She also had crystals. We got the crystals under control and she is on cranberry extract pills now and seems good there. (she is not licking anymore). I put her on a lower protein food as I was feeding her orijen. She is on innova now. Her fecal came back negative and her pee still shows white cell count and it seems to vary with the test. We have had a lot of them maybe 5.

The test comments also mention pre-renal need usg to verify. Is she really sick.

My question is: Is it safe to spay her when she is in this condition.

Should I wait and maybe do anther test in a couple weeks. The vet say's they will be putting fluids through her when they have her in surgery for her kidney's. Also they will take another in house blood test. I'm worried. She goes into her second heat in November so I feel I have time. Need some expert advice. Thanks
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:15 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I don't know how out of normal those readings are, but if the vet suspects there's an infection or kidney problems, I think I'd want to pin down the cause before spaying. The only exception would be if the vet suspects a uterine infection--in which case it should be done asap.

The USG will tell you more about the kidney health and I'd ask the vet a lot of questions about all the results before deciding about the surgery.

for your dog!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Bluebear

Spaying

Thanks Hazelrunpack. I'm very worried. The vet tell's me if I wait and she goes through heat again. She has been through one already. The vet say's that she will have a more percentage rate on getting breast cancer. Is that like a percentage of us human's getting cancer. Cause, if so I don't feel the vet should jump the gun so quickly. You wouldn't happen to know what the test would show if she had uterine infection. Is that the white blood cell's.

The norm-high end for Urea is 2.5-9.6 and dakota was 11.2

The creatinine norm is 35-159 and she was 166

The white cell count norm is 4.0-15.0 and she is 19.6. Seem's pretty high to me. I get very confused when they say she sick yet then throw at me that if I let her go through heat again she may get breast cancer. Is that a low percentage like 0% if you get them spayed before first heat
10% if after first heat
20% if after second heat.

Thanks very much for the quick reply.
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I've heard that each heat increases the chance of breast cancer by 10%...now does that mean after the first heat it's 10% increase, and the total percentage increase after the second heat is 20%; or does that mean 10% after the first heat, 10.1% total after the second? I've never been able to get a clear answer on that.

However, if she's got an underlying illness, you may have no choice but to wait. Unless it's an emergency (like a uterine infection), our vets won't do surgery on a sick dog. So you need to talk to the vet to see where he thinks the infection might be, if they suspect one. You also need to ask about the creatinine and urea being higher than normal. Could this be due to the stresses of fighting an infection or do the vets suspect some underlying problem with the kidneys?

Don't be afraid to ask lots of questions and if you don't understand the answers, either ask more questions, or find a vet that's willing to spend the time to help you understand.

I think as long as you have a little time before Dakota's next heat, you can afford to spend the next week or so figuring out exactly what's wrong with her before subjecting her to the stresses of surgery. And that means getting those questions answered.

As for a test for uterine infections, I'm not sure there are any. Sometimes the infection causes a discharge from the vagina, but sometimes the infection is contained solely inside the uterus. The second type is very dangerous. If your vet suspects this is what she has, then she needs to be spayed as soon as possible.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Bluebear

Thank you very much. I cancelled her spaying and I have decided to go to Mill Bay Chris Forbes vet for Dakota. I need an expert and someone who will fix her before wanting to spay her. The vet she goes to has done nothing in regards to her white blood cell count and it's been one year now. Also with 3 dogs she has been getting confused saying things that she should have already knew like dakota had already gone through heat back in may this year and she forgot saying that maybe she should go through heat and it would get rid of her white cell count. I said she already went through it then she say's well then if I don't spay her before the second she will get cancer and that the cell count is not a worry.

Again thanks for the quick reply. You have a great day Hazelrunpack.
Old September 15th, 2009, 03:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Watch her closely, bluebear. If she gets lethargic or goes off her food, treat it as an emergency and get her in to a vet quickly. But it sounds like this is an ongoing problem if it's been a year? I'd be inclined to go for the second opinion, too, I think!

Good luck, bluebear. Let us know what you find out!

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Bluebear

Update

Hi: Just an update on Dakota. She is doing good now. I had her spayed 3 weeks ago. After her first blood test and information received, I took her off of Orijen and put her on innova for lower protein. I also switched her water to reverse osmosis. Her second test came back much better and only had 2 areas of white cell count abnormal. I had her spayed and I am noticing now that her hair is growing back and she is not shedding even 1/10 that she was. I'm very happy there. I thought she may go bald. She is looking very fluffy after her bath this time also. They had checked her stomach while in surgery because she was sick the day of the blood work and an area came back abnormal which did not show abnormal the last test. They said it could have been because she was sick that day and said they would just look at her stomach while in there. She is going for more blood work this thursday and urine to see how things turned out. Hopefully the white cell count she has been fighting is now gone. I feel having her spayed was for the better for her health. Maybe she had something wrong there also.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:56 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

White cell counts can be elevated even if no actual infection is present. If something was irritated then the body would produce more white cells. It could be that if she had crystals before that her urethea (sp?) was irritated.

Kidney problems are scary. I lost a 19 month old newf to total kidney failure. However, once whatever is hurting the kidneys is resolved, the kidney can regain a normal level of function - assuming of course that no permanent damage was done. And the body can survive with just 25% of the kidney function remaining. As far as decreasing the protein levels in the diet, there is conflicting information out there on that. Some experts say that high protein causes the kidney's to have to work harder, others say that it's the phosphorus levels that are important. Whichever group you decide to believe, periodic blood work is the best way to keep an eye on what the kidneys are doing.
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm glad the surgery went so well, bluebear. I hope everything else resolves for her, as well

Thanks for the update!

Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Bluebear

Dakota

Hi: Just like to thank everyone. Dakota's test came back good. Her urine showed a bit of white cells but nothing to worry about. I will keep up on the blood work yearly for sure and maybe twice a year. Thanks again for the reply's greatly appreciate them.

Last edited by bluebear; October 23rd, 2009 at 05:13 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Glad to hear that she's doing so well, bluebear!! Thanks for the update!