Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 7th, 2005, 01:59 PM

Miniature Schnauzer puppy

Hi, I am new here, and hopefully you can help me with a wealth of knowledge and tips.

I have my heart set on getting a puppy for our family. I am looking for a miniature schnauzer puppy, as this breed seems most compatible. We are a family of 4 with no pets (although I have owned dogs and a cat before)

I have emailed and called a few breedeers, but none have litters right now. Does anyone know of someone with a litter in the GTA area? Willing to travel further if price is good. I guess I am also looking for puppies that are not over the $900 mark.

Anyone with info?

Thanks,
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know about breeders, but if you'd consider adopting, there are 581 schnauzers (some miniature) on petfinder:
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...oung&preview=1
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:12 PM

Sounds like you want you pup right away. It may seem hard, but sometimes you just have to wait for the puppies. Make sure you buy from a reputable breeder, and I am sure even if you have to wait awhile it will be worth it in the end.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

If your heart is set on a miniature schnauzer, then you would be best off waiting for a REPUTABLE breeder to have a good litter for you to get a pup from. I have known several schnauzers and none of them were especially good with children.
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I am in the same boat as LR, I too have not seen any great with kids, although there might be a few out there. You can always see if there is an adult through pet finder that has been raised with kids, at least you will know.
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:24 PM

Not good with children? I have been a bit of research on the web, and have narrowed it down to a schnauzer because the breeders say they are good with young children.
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM

The breed profile on this website say they should be good with children. My cousin has a Minature Shnauzer, and it is great with her children who are 4 and 7. The dog was around since before the children where even born. Maybe it really does depend on how much exposure to children the dog will get as a pup.

I own a JRT, and they don't have the greatest reputation for being around kids. I made sure I socialized Roxy around children from day one. She is now very good. If they bug her, she know she is supposed to walk away. Obviously I would never let a child mistreat my dog, and I keep a close eye when my neice Trin wants to play with the doggie.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.

Last edited by Roxy's_MA; October 7th, 2005 at 02:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivers
Not good with children? I have been a bit of research on the web, and have narrowed it down to a schnauzer because the breeders say they are good with young children.
This is a very important reason to make sure that you get a pup from a REPUTABLE breeder. Besides the beauty contests, the parents need to have all tests for genetic issues run and temperment testing done on the parents. And be ready to wait for the right pup.

DH and I had a schnauzer some 8 years ago. We rehomed it before our son was born because she would not let anyone touch DH without biting them. This included my daughters. It was not a risk I was willing to take with an infant in the house.
Old October 7th, 2005, 02:18 PM

I have looked there, but I think none are near where I live, unleass I am mistaken. A puppy would be ideal, though.