Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm hoping something I found helps Oksana

I'm having what I believe is Ideopathic Cystitis with Oksana. I'm still waiting for the results of her bout this time around, but back in November all of her tests came back normal. She did have a little bacteria in her urine, so she was on anti-biotics for a couple of weeks.

Last week, she again had the same issue. I found something I'm hoping helps called Tract Ease. It's an herbal formula.

Here's what it has:

The following high quality herbs were selected for this tincture:

* Couchgrass Root (Triticum repens) is an excellent urinary tract tonic, with disinfectant, soothing, and anti-inflammatory properties. It has been used traditionally to help with inflammatory urinary conditions, and as a mild diuretic. Couchgrass may help eliminate kidney stones and crystals, and may benefit cats with urinary tract disorders.
* Ginger Root (Zingiber officinalis) has been demonstrated in modern research to be a powerful antioxidant and to have strong anti-inflammatory effects, and has also shown evidence of anti-microbial properties.
* Goldenseal Root (Hydrastis canadensis) has been widely used for its tonic and astringent properties and to help protect membranes throughout the body. Goldenseal is thought to help inhibit the action of pathogens in the urinary tract.
* Juniper Berry (Juniperus communis) has been used worldwide to help with a wide array of health issues, including inflammatory bladder conditons and other pathogenic urinary tract issues. Juniper is known to stimulate the kidneys to increase the flow of urine to help the kidneys eliminate waste materials, and it may be useful as a urinary antiseptic.
* Lobelia Herb (Lobelia inflata) may help ease congestion throughout the body, can help relieve stress, and helps to enhance and synergize the formula.
* Marshmallow Root (Althaea officinalis) is considered to be a safe and versatile herb for use with pets for its mucilaginous (lubricating) properties, and it may help to protect and soothe inflamed tissues in the urinary tract.
* Parsley Root (Petroselium crispum) is another widely used, versatile herb, used for its diuretic effects and ability to increase urine output. Parsley also has antiseptic properties which accounts for its traditional use with pathogenic urinary tract issues.
* Uva Ursi Leaf (Arctostaphylos uva ursi) contains a high percentage of tannins, which provide powerful astringent effects to help tone mucous membranes and help stop bleeding. Uva Ursi also contains compounds that may be active against a wide array of pathogens, and has a long history of use for urinary tract issues.

This product was made in an FDA-approved facility using human-grade ingredients.

I just got my bottle today and began giving it not only to Oksana, but to the others. From what I read on the site and in the reviews, it can be used as a maintenance therapy, to help keep the urinary tract healthy.

Since I've been home, I've been splitting the gangs food in 3. Tonight I put some drops in their mid afternoon meal and just a little while ago in their evening meal. Thankfully, Oksana ate her food so she got it in her and so did the others.

I'm really hoping this helps keep this issue at bay. She's had it twice now in the past 2 months and I can't imagine that's good for her to keep having this recurring issue. She's 2 years old, and I really want to keep not only her but the others from getting any kidney issues.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

AG it sounds good! at least for the little knowledge i have at the moment.

Having said that I also wonder about the diagnosis of Ideopathic Cystitis in general. I know quite a few people over the course of the last year including my 2 that have been given this as a diagnosis. Now I dont want to say perhaps its not true but cats seem to be given this if they certain symptoms. For example inappropriate urination with my 2?? and what bothers me is that in all cases the conclusion was reached only after something was found in a urine test and the cat is then treated with an antibiotic....if that fails then it seems to be that the cat has a behavioural issues and of course the diagnosis of Ideopathic Cystitus..followed by some form of behavioural drug??

I guess what I am saying is that it seems to be a conclusion drawn in cats pretty frequently these days?? sort of like be sterotyped??

I hope Oksana feels better with the remedy! I will be anxious to see if it helps my 2. I broke down and re-ordered some Feliway again???

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston, I believe Oksana's may be stress related. I know you all may know the issues with Vlad and his bullying. I think it might be part of what her issue is. Stress can really do a number on health, be it human or animal.

I don't want to keep giving her anti-biotics, and she's not a big water drinker so I'm really hoping something preventative helps.

She had her first bout in mid November, and then again last Wednesday. So I'll be posting in about another couple of weeks or month. I'm praying she'll be free of any problems.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old December 31st, 2009, 10:18 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

It's funny isn't it? Cats are so darned stoic that they won't tell you when something's wrong - you have to watch them like a hawk to figure out that they've broken a leg; at the same time, stress will knock their health into next week! They can walk around purring with a urinary tract infection that MUST be killing them but they GOT the urinary tract infection because they were stressed out about some change in your household that you aren't even aware of!

Oh well. I wish you luck AG. I really hope the Tract Ease makes a difference!
Old December 31st, 2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjesak View Post
It's funny isn't it? Cats are so darned stoic that they won't tell you when something's wrong - you have to watch them like a hawk to figure out that they've broken a leg; at the same time, stress will knock their health into next week! They can walk around purring with a urinary tract infection that MUST be killing them but they GOT the urinary tract infection because they were stressed out about some change in your household that you aren't even aware of!

Oh well. I wish you luck AG. I really hope the Tract Ease makes a difference!
You know, I don't think people realize what delicate creatures they really are. People think they can just fend for themselves, but they can't.

I'm hoping this helps her too. So far, since I'm splitting their meals a little more, they've all been eating smaller meals, and finishing them. Oksana is actually finishing her food, which makes me happy because i know she's also eating the drops.

I'm giving everyone drops even though they have not shown any problems. But, since it's a natural product and can be used for ongoing bladder health, I figure it can't hurt.

Old January 1st, 2010, 09:32 PM

Hi I hope your new supplement works! My male cat got frequent uti's until I switched him to technical indoor urinary trac health food. He was on high quality holistic food before this and I hesitated to change it to something I consider lesser quality, but he has not had a single infection since. Something you may want to consider if you haven't already! Good luck and I hope your new find works, if it does maybe I will try it and get my cat back on a higher quality holistic food!
Old January 1st, 2010, 10:16 PM
~Cat Servent~

Poor Oksana... havin trouble again. Hope the stuff you found works. Would love to know if it does, might be handy to have around for Smoke.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old January 1st, 2010, 11:02 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Stress can do some nasty stuff to kitties. You have a good vet who seems to know what she's talking about. I noticed in your other thread you talked to her about the drops you have Oskana on. I'm sure she would tell you if they would hurt Oskana. Good luck!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll let you guys know if this helps.

14+, I'm very lucky that their usual vet is always open to trying different things and even natural products. She also suggested we put Vlad on something too, which I'm going to order next time I get paid. Something to keep Oksana a little less stressed, and him from being so forceful with everyone.