Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 4th, 2012, 08:43 PM

Coyote Dog Encounters

I can't believe what happened on our walk tonight.

There is a quarry behind our house where we often bring our dogs for offleash walks. It is a pretty busy spot with machinery during the day, bordered by a highway on one side and with people on quads often going back there.

While I know there are deer who often come out in the field behind the house and have seen coyote tracks I never thought one would be brazen enough to come out when we were back there.

The dogs generally stay pretty close. They might run into the bushes a bit if they hear a bird or something but don't go too far away. One is more independent (I think she got a few more of the JRT genes), she doesn't always come back as readily as the others. Usually I'll keep walking and whistle for her and as I get farther away she'll come hurrying back.

Tonight there was 4 of us walking with 4 dogs. We had been there awhile and were on our way back to the house. So it's not like the noise we were making was unexpected or anything. So my dog decides to go into some raspberry bushes where she sometimes chases squirrels. We keep walking a ways, but then i heard her bark, which she will do if her leash catches on something, so i started back to get her. We were just around a slight bend in the road, as I went back around I saw the bushes at the edge of the road move so I knew she was caught closeby. As I am walking to get her..maybe 20 feet away..a coyote comes out of the bushes right beside her...like RIGHT beside her.

According to my husband who was around the corner, because I don't really remember what I did, I just used my mean stern voice I use when dogs are getting into something they shouldn't and the coyote was gone in a flash. Meanwhile, I was trying to untangle my dog from the bush and my other two dogs ran up, and while we have worked on emergency comes, I scared my smaller dog by my tone of voice and at first he wasn't going to let me near him to catch his leash. I was scared they were going to go after it. But I managed to get all the leashes. Fortunately Bean was caught on the bush by her leash, she would be the one more inclined to chase the coyote while ignoring me.

I was just very surprised that a coyote would dare to come out with 4 people there.

I also learned a few things about myself. That I actually CAN be calm in an emergency and that I would have been willing to rip that coyote in half with my bare hands if I had gotten close enough.

I guess as much as i hate the dog park we will be going there for our adventures from now on.
Old May 4th, 2012, 09:11 PM

They can be very brave, even in daylight. A couple of years ago our Border Collie was at our neighbors house, and he looked out his window and saw her with a coyote, sniffing each other and acting like they were best friends.
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, they will come out in daytime. I've seen them too, some quite close. They don't worry me but I don't want my dog to chase them. My biggest fear, frankly, is the idiot neighbour I caught hunting coyotes, without legal permission, on property I have permission to walk my dog on. With a 22.

I would like to urge you though, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE

DON't let your dogs run loose with the leash dragging. You see what happens, it can get caught in bushes. She'd be well and truly trapped and a sitting duck if a coyote did want to be so bold. Your dog couldn't even try to run away.

The leash could snag as she runs and break her neck.

On another site one poster's dog got a very, very badly broken leg when her playmate's long line tangled around her leg. I won't let my dog play if another is dragging a leash.
Old May 5th, 2012, 04:25 PM

I would like to do it with NO leashes and have, but one dog can be hand shy and have been in situation before where there was a dumptruck coming and I could get other two to come but she wouldn't get close enough to me to catch her collar. And we specifically worked on this in class but she just is too cagey sometimes. And in this case she knew if I caught her she couldn't chase the dumptruck so she avoided me. And as she ran around the corner attempting to bite the dumptrucks tires..I was preparing myself to pick up a flat dog.

In 2 years that was only one incident but after that i decided the only way i could let them "offleash" would be to leave a short 4 foot leash on their harness.

The occasional hangup on the raspberry bush is usually only inconvenient.

While dogs have worked on emergency come and i would like them to come 100%, I can't guarantee a terrier's response 100% of the time.
Old May 8th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Hi Linda, just curious who your vet is? I have a border collie who neeeds a tooth extracted and the best price i've found was $725. I understand you are near buffalo as am I. She is a new addition to my family and I would like to get her fixed up soon.

Thanks

Joe
Old May 9th, 2012, 09:12 AM

Where did this happen ... ?