Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old April 28th, 2013, 03:33 PM

New around here...

Hi everyone,

I'm new here so does someone mind explaining how this works?

I'm looking for a dog but I also want to hear all about members pets and the tips and tricks they've learned over the years
Old April 28th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

What kind of lifestyle do you have , you should try to find a breed that fix in your lifestyle.

http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org....html#rightdog
Old April 28th, 2013, 10:08 PM

hello and welcome
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:24 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome to the forum!
I Agree with Barkingdog big time on the lifestyle match.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 29th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Once you know what breed of dog suits your lifestyle and what health concerns are prevalent in the breed my tip is to either rescue from a shelter or go to a reputable breeder who does all the breed club suggested clearances, proves the dogs in some way and offers a good health guarantee. Please, no pet stores or BYB.

Have you had a dog before? If not, it's going to be a bit like learning a new language. But such fun, welcome.
Old April 29th, 2013, 09:26 PM

Thank you guys for such a warm welcome

I live a some what lazy lifestyle with about an hour of activity a day but not one of those athletic personalities that are constantly on the go. I'd also like a some what smaller dog, not everyone in our family is in agreement about the size of the dog (if it was up to me I'd go with a German Shepherd) so around 20-30lbs is about as big as we're okay with. So knowing that... does anyone have an idea of a breed that would suit these needs?

I completely agree with Longblades which is why I'm looking for a rescued dog because there's so many amazing dogs out there who need a second chance.

I haven't had a dog before but I've always wanted one. I don't know how to describe WHY I want a dog so much but as fellow dog lovers I'm sure you all understand my reasons without needing to describe it.
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

German Shepherds are very intelligent and high energy dogs and would not be the best dog for person with a lazy lifestyle . They can get bored very easy and need to have a place to run . They're great family dogs, we had one in my family and as a kid and I knew nothing about training dogs but being a smart dog I was able to train our dog to sit and stay. It would not be fair to get a dog that won't be able to live it lifestyle. There are a lot of web sites on line that tell you all about a dog bred. when I got Marty I check out the a dog bred to see if we would be a good match.
Old April 30th, 2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by it'spuppylove View Post
Thank you guys for such a warm welcome

I live a some what lazy lifestyle with about an hour of activity a day but not one of those athletic personalities that are constantly on the go. I'd also like a some what smaller dog, not everyone in our family is in agreement about the size of the dog (if it was up to me I'd go with a German Shepherd) so around 20-30lbs is about as big as we're okay with. So knowing that... does anyone have an idea of a breed that would suit these needs?

I completely agree with Longblades which is why I'm looking for a rescued dog because there's so many amazing dogs out there who need a second chance.

I haven't had a dog before but I've always wanted one. I don't know how to describe WHY I want a dog so much but as fellow dog lovers I'm sure you all understand my reasons without needing to describe it.
Since you are considering a rescue (which is awesome by the way!) maybe if you go to some of the rescue sites in your area you can talk to the people there and maybe they can work with you to assess what dog will fit best with your lifestyle, also maybe you can do some volunteering with them and get to know some of the dogs too, considering that you have never had one, maybe that will give you some idea of what you really want.

I will say take your time and do your research, don't get a dog by impulse, they are a joy for sure, but they are also a lot of work and you should be ready for all the responsibility

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi