Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 28th, 2014, 10:39 AM

Unhappy Dog is neurotic

I inherited a Papillon last year from my sister last year, who passed away. He is now 4 yrs. old. He was very spoiled, and was not socialized. From the time I brought him home, he has not slept through the night without waking us up when he hears the smallest sounds. He barks and whimpers until we have to get out of of bed to take him outside. When we do, he runs around the backyard, breathing heavy. He terrorizes my 10 year old cat, chasing and barking uncontrollably at him. We have tried on numerous occasions to get them together, but if we don't hold the dog or keep them separated, I am worried he will hurt my cat. He hyper-ventilates every time he sees the cat. My other cat ran away from home because of my dog's behavior towards him. I was hoping after a year and a half here, he would get used to the cat and calm down at night, but it has not changed. He also barks excessively..... I am not sure what to do. He has disrupted this household to the point where I am exhausted and noone in the household is happy with him. I promised my sister I would take him, so this is very difficult.
Old November 28th, 2014, 11:38 AM

Hi mominssf
First off, my condolences on the loss of your sister.
You have complied with your sisters wishes in taking on her beloved dog especially with the challenges it brings to you and your family. Just want to say good for you for persevering as this little dogs behaviour does sound neurotic. I also have a Papillon with prior severe issues due to her past life and can happily tell you that after 2 1/2 years with us has settled into a happy little dog. I would recommend you find a reputable behavioural dog trainer and follow their directions to the letter. There is hope to bring any dog back from whatever issues they lived with. Mine was severe neglect and yours was severe spoiling and indulgence but that doesn't have to continue. You just need professional guidance at this point and I know from experience that dogs that come to us with severe issues are the most rewarding challenge (although I know it doesn't feel like that now).