Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 1st, 2012, 12:01 PM

My dog won't stop peeing on her bed!

My 2 year old beagle (whom we've had for 1 year, previously she was an outdoor dog at night) won't stop peeing on her bed at night! At first we thought it might be medical, but after a vet visit, she appears to be completely healthy. So we've narrowed it down to a behavior issue.

Every morning when we wake up, her bed is soiled. It's very rare that it's not. We usually let her out around 11:00 or midnight and we are up by 5:30 or 6 am. We've tried taking away her water after supper (which I feel awful about!), taking away her bed as punishment (so she found a towel in our bathroom and made it into a bed...which she peed on), and taking her out at 3 am for a mid-night pee. Nothing has worked. We are at our wits end as we are constantly buying/washing beds and blankets, and our laminate floor is now ruined! We love her dearly and will keep her forever, but we need HELP!
Old June 1st, 2012, 01:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is your beagle spayed? Did the vet mention anything about spay incontinence? It's a condition in spayed dogs that results in a weak bladder. They usually don't even notice they're dribbling and most often you notice it in the morning when they get up and you see the puddle.

If that's what it is, it can be treated with estrogens or with phenylpropanolamine quite successfully.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn55 View Post
My 2 year old beagle (whom we've had for 1 year, previously she was an outdoor dog at night) won't stop peeing on her bed at night! At first we thought it might be medical, but after a vet visit, she appears to be completely healthy. So we've narrowed it down to a behavior issue.

Every morning when we wake up, her bed is soiled. It's very rare that it's not. We usually let her out around 11:00 or midnight and we are up by 5:30 or 6 am. We've tried taking away her water after supper (which I feel awful about!), taking away her bed as punishment (so she found a towel in our bathroom and made it into a bed...which she peed on), and taking her out at 3 am for a mid-night pee. Nothing has worked. We are at our wits end as we are constantly buying/washing beds and blankets, and our laminate floor is now ruined! We love her dearly and will keep her forever, but we need HELP!
Your dog does not know you took her bed away as a punishment , dogs do not reason like people. I really think it's a health issues , Blackbear idea should to looked into or dog may need a MRI to see if she has any wrong with her bladder, like a tumor , I hope that is not the case
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm with Hazel. Speak to your vet about incontinence. I believe the little pink estrogen pill is called Stilbestrol (or very close) and it is very inexpensive. I had one of my girls on it for a long time. You use it for about six months or so and then go off it for six months or until they start to leak again. Starts off with one pill a day for a week then one a week. Very cost effective and effective for dogs with incontinence issues, which is what your dog's problem sounds like. Good luck with this. And no, your dog does not understand why you took her bed away. That said, leave her with a towel so you can clean it regularly until you get this resolved and then make sure you get her a new bed. The old one will smell like urine even if you can't smell it and it could be giving her the wrong message.
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:22 PM

They sell pee pads at pet stores, why not try to put one down beside her bed at night? They are puppy training pads but I use them at night because mine always have to pee in the middle of the night. Its easy to train them to go on it.
Old June 1st, 2012, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

If she is looking for a place to pee, then it isn't spay incontinence. Spay incontinence is a leaking while sleeping.

Honestly - it sounds like she has a UTI. I would get her rechecked and put on antibiotics.
Old June 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM

Our dog would pee on her bed and herself during while sleeping. She was put on the estrogen pill, and had no problems after that.
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:24 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Options...
1. She has incontinence issues.
2. She is not soiling but licking her paws and leaving a large wet spot on the bed which looks like he peed (our dogs do this).
3. She is intentionally peeing to mark her 'stuff' and needs to learn that nothing belongs to her. Taking the bed away does not translate to a punishment in her mind.
4. She isn't truly house trained - see #3.

Solutions...
1. Vet intervention.
2. Not a problem.
3. She needs to be re-trained to be properly house trained, and/or get a doggie diaper for her to wear at night so you aren't worried about washing so many beds.

Just some thoughts. Good luck.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

LR - it sounded to me like the OPs dog took the towel to make a bed out of it and then pee'd on it. My lab is a comfort hound and will search out something to sleep on always. They took her bed away and the made a bed out of a towel she said.