Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 5th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Lori

PS, The Lactulose does not seem to agree with him.....as soon as he swallows it he throws it up...I just put a call in to the vet about the Miralax & the Senna.
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:15 PM

I have an appointment for Lexus after work today. She hasn't had a stool in 5days. She has not been straining or in pain from what I can see. I am hoping when I go home to pick her up there will be a huge present in the litterbox for me.

I am considering going the senna/accupuncture route. I will speak to my vet about senna today as well and a vegetable based laxative. I also have a call into a holistic vet. I would like to try something more natural. I would think that the senna ones in the store would have added ingredients that aren't great for cats? I don't think the lactulose is working now and I know there is a chance that the holistic route may not work either. I am hell bent on finding something that works for her. I am trying to stay positive although I didn't sleep very well lastnight worrying about her....
Old January 5th, 2009, 01:42 PM
Lori

"I am hell bent on finding something that works for her. I am trying to stay positive although I didn't sleep very well lastnight worrying about her.... "

Believe me I know the feeling:sad: I just went and bought some various Wellness food.....quite a few people have mentioned it. Tyler just sniffed it & looked at me like "what the heck is this?" & walked away....my other cat ate it though, she's not as finicky as he is. I have other flavors so I'll try again later.Still waiting on the vet about the Miralax & Senocot......scratch that she just called, she's going to look up Miralax & Senna and see what a dose should be for him and if he can have Senna, she'll call me back......this is how I feel right now......
Old January 5th, 2009, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Tyler just sniffed it & looked at me like "what the heck is this?" & walked away....
The best thing to do when introducing a new food to a cat is to introduce it very slowly. Or kitty may get a very upset stomach. Try adding a small amount of wellness into his food for a couple of days and slowly start uping the amount of wellness and decreasing his normal food. Hopefully then he will eat the wellness and not get too much of an upset stomach.
Old January 5th, 2009, 04:08 PM
-

I also have a cat that gets constipated in winter, every year he is at the Vet's regarding his constipation sometimes spending 2 or 3 days there. He has already been this winter for two nights. When I give him his canned food I mix quite a bit of water and make it souplike, it's a good way for him to have water intake. He is also managing on Lactulose daily, 1 or 2 times and 1 pill of cisipride. Also to his wet food I add 1/4 tspn of Physillium Husk, like I said so far so good, even if it is in the middle of the kitchen floor
Old January 5th, 2009, 07:22 PM

I had a nice long talk with my vet today and he does not think Lexus is anywhere near a megacolon. The symptoms just aren't there. And by feeling her he said there was not a huge amount of hard build up and her colon was not enlarged. He said we just have to find something that helps keep her regular and tolerable. We may have to try a bunch of different things but we should be able to find something that works for her. He gave her an enema. He is going to speak with the homeopath at his vet clinic to see what she recommends. I am not sure she is as qualified as the holistic vet I was recommended to but I will see what she has to say. A holistic vet and a homeopathy have a bit of a different approach to treating pets. After speaking to the vet I am wondering if your cat is a candidate for physiotherapy or accupuncture because of the fractured pelvis. This is one major cause of constipation in cats. I am also starting to believe some of Lexus's constipation issues are because of being kept indoors for the winter (she is an indoor cat but she is allowed free roam of my backyard until winter - she stays in the totally enclosed backyard!). That and her stressful personality. Her problems really started to escalate late fall. But it also could have escalated due to me putting her on a raw diet? IBS and many of the other bowel movement problems in humans are very commonly caused due to stress. THe enema cost $36.50. But she had to be sedated and examed so that added on to the cost of course
The vet wants me to stop worrying so much unless she stops eating and is really lethargic. He said she is fine. I just have to find something that works for her
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Lori

Well that is good news!! I don't have a homepathic or holistic vet near me, the closest I've found is about a 3hr drive......nothing can be easy!! I know I'm supposed to introduce new food slowly but just wanted to see if he would be interested in something new....he was very interested in the Wellness dry, I let him have just a few pieces. Tyler never had a fractured pelvis he's just un-lucky I guess....he does have Megacolon.
I got the Miralax and managed to get him to take some in a little milk, I know he did not get the full dose so I will mix a little more with water and use a syringe, I'm really hoping this helps him....even a little
Continued good luck & health with your girl....hopefully tonight you'll sleep better
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Just out of curiousity, do you make your own raw? Too much calcium (bone) in the raw can cause constipation in cats.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Love4himiesJust out of curiousity, do you make your own raw? Too much calcium (bone) in the raw can cause constipation in cats
Yes, I do make my own raw. I have heard that too much bone can cause constipation also. I have been starting to feed her the bare minimum of bone. I have also started to up the fattier meats and a bit more liver. Now that she is cleaned out we will see how this works. Although I have been feeding her mostly meat for a while now I am going to try a few different approaches to help keep her regular
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I was thinking that you could add cut up cat grass to help her too.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:51 AM

I know her and my other cat love to eat the grass in the summer. And they both end up throwing it up . I have heard it is supposed to help the stomach. Does it help with the bowels as well? I honestly would love to use something more natural for her....
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Natalia - how is your kitty doing? Any changes for the better?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Lori

I have a question about Cisapride....sorry I couldn't find the thread
I got in touch with a pet pharmacy & they offer it in many forms....one that interested me was in gel form....it's applied to the inside of the ear & absorbed through the skin. Has anyone tried this method? or maybe offer your opinion on it.....Thanks
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
I know her and my other cat love to eat the grass in the summer. And they both end up throwing it up . I have heard it is supposed to help the stomach. Does it help with the bowels as well? I honestly would love to use something more natural for her....
I think if you cut it with sissors in tiny pieces it should stay in their stomach OK.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 6th, 2009, 03:16 PM

I have never heard to use grass to help relieve constipation before Where have you heard this from?
Old January 6th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
I have never heard to use grass to help relieve constipation before Where have you heard this from?
It is called "FIBRE".

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 6th, 2009, 03:40 PM

I am aware that fibre can aid in relieving constipation. But not one person (including my vet) has recommended grass as a fibre for constipation? Have you heard or used grass as a constipation relief in cats? I would be interested in learning more.
Old January 6th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I don't understand what you are looking for, specific scientific studies? I just used some logic that grass has fibre, most kitties like grass so the smell won't put them off, and it is part of their natural diet. Long pieces will make them vomit so the pieces have to be very tiny.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM

I was only interested in knowing where you have heard that grass helps relieve constipation in cats? In all the research (or advice given to me) I have never heard of relieving constipation with grass. I have heard it is good for a cats stomach every once in a while. I was interested in learning because I am trying to control my cats constipation that's all.
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Lori

I started Tyler on Miralax on Monday night & last night to my surprise he did a nice big poop! It was also softer than it has been in a long time
I'm hoping the Miralax is the trick for Tyler that works....also am ordering 10mg Cisapride from an online pharmacy,the price difference is incredible,I'm getting 90 pills for the price of 40 from the vet. Thanks for all the great advice!
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I started Tyler on Miralax on Monday night & last night to my surprise he did a nice big poop! It was also softer than it has been in a long time
Yay I am so happy! I will keep my fingers crossed that this will be the trick for Tyler! Please keep us updated. Miralax and Cisipride may be the trick for him.

I went to a holistic vet lastnight and left very positive on getting this constipation under control and not just covered over
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Lori

Quote:
Yay I am so happy! I will keep my fingers crossed that this will be the trick for Tyler! Please keep us updated. Miralax and Cisipride may be the trick for him.

I went to a holistic vet lastnight and left very positive on getting this constipation under control and not just covered over
Thanks I'm glad you got some encoureging info from the holistic vet...I'll keep my fingers crossed for you
Tyler was actually playing with a paper ball & terrorizing my female cat Bella last night!! he got in trouble from me but I'll take it as a good sign
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Tyler was actually playing with a paper ball & terrorizing my female cat Bella last night!! he got in trouble from me but I'll take it as a good sign:clap

HAHAHA - I have to laugh because my other cat Bishop (male) does this to Lexus sometimes too....he gets into these moods and bugs Lexus and she screams....Bishop knows now what "bedroom" means that word is used when he is a bad boy and is a time out But sometimes I think Lexus is the instigater They are so much like little kids
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Lori

Quote:
HAHAHA - I have to laugh because my other cat Bishop (male) does this to Lexus sometimes too....he gets into these moods and bugs Lexus and she screams....Bishop knows now what "bedroom" means that word is used when he is a bad boy and is a time out But sometimes I think Lexus is the instigater They are so much like little kids
Yes they are!
Old January 8th, 2009, 11:28 AM

How are you giving the Miralax to your cat?
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

A word of caution about any laxative. They should only be used occasionally, not long term as they can cause dependency. It also takes water from the intestine to absorb into the stool to soften it, so make sure your kitties are only on canned food and perhaps add a couple of teaspoons of water just to make sure.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 8th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Lori

Quote:
How are you giving the Miralax to your cat?
I am mixing it with his wet food and some water.....I make it ALMOST soupy
He went again tonight....2x.....both times good size poops.....so that makes Tues. & tonight. Can't even remember the last time he pooped without 4-5 days in between. I'm shocked!! I am however going to cut back on his dose of the Miralax(the vet said 3/4 tspn 2x a day) his 2nd poop tonight was pretty soft......I don't want to go from hard as a rock poop to just the opposite. He still gets his Cisapride 3x a day & I let him have a liitle Wellness dry food (he loves his dry)...........am I doing OK?
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Lori

PS....He is a good water drinker too......
Old January 8th, 2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Please do not do anything as drastic as putting your cat to sleep b/c of the mega colon. Please check out this group for support http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Feline_Megacolon/

3 weeks ago my vet put my cat under a mild anasthesia, applied an anema and cleaned out a huge blockage. Although my cat has constipation issues (not a megacolon that I am aware of) and she has stools every 3-4days. The vet says this is okay as long as she is not straining, in pain, throwing up, and the stools are not super hard. He is happy as long as the stools are abundant when she does have a stool. But he has told me that if she goes to 5 days without a stool than I have to bring her in. I have lost many hours of sleep worrying about her but I am coming to terms with the fact that she is normal in every other aspect except her pooping habits. I also am starting to believe that maybe some cats are just more speradic in their bowel movements.

Is your cat straining or in pain after 2 days with no bowel movement? If not, than maybe it is time to find another vet. Get a 2nd or 3rd opinion. I would not be able to afford taking my cat in to the vet every couple of days either. This has never been an option with my vet. He has told me to call him when I get concerned and he will make the decision if I should bring her in or not. He also told me that the stool softner "Lactulose" can be bought over the counter at a pharmacy. I save 5-6 times the amount I would spend paying for this at a vets office.

My cat would start to strain within 2-3 days when he doesnt have a bowel movement.. As of right now, my cat is doing great!
I have been feeding him Only wet-food with some water and pumkin to it and also i am giving him a stool softener once a day of 2 mls. the vet though had said to give him 3mls 2-3 times daily. I don’t want my cat to end up relying on the stool softener, i just want it to be around when he needs that extra little help because I don’t want his muscles to become weakened from not being used as much. should i be giving the softener more frequently as the vet had said? or stick to what im doing now?? also, I paid $20 for a 200mg liquid bottle, is that a normal price range? or should i buy one from a pharmacy? and if so which brand should i look for? and specific ingredients i want and dont want?

So things are looking good for now... he's in no pain has a bowel movement a day, eats and drinks plenty...

Thank you for all your help!
Old January 9th, 2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I have been feeding him Only wet-food with some water and pumkin to it and also i am giving him a stool softener once a day of 2 mls. the vet though had said to give him 3mls 2-3 times daily. I don’t want my cat to end up relying on the stool softener, i just want it to be around when he needs that extra little help because I don’t want his muscles to become weakened from not being used as much. should i be giving the softener more frequently as the vet had said? or stick to what im doing now?? also, I paid $20 for a 200mg liquid bottle, is that a normal price range? or should i buy one from a pharmacy? and if so which brand should i look for? and specific ingredients i want and dont want?

So things are looking good for now... he's in no pain has a bowel movement a day, eats and drinks plenty...
Woohoo sounds like your cat is doing much better. Having a bowel movement everyday day is great. I am happy you are getting this under control. And it is good to know that if he starts to go less frequent that you can up the dose to see if it helps!

What is the name of the stool softner you are giving your cat?