Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM

Question Euthanizing Your Pet When It's Frightened of the Vet

It's a day we all dread and we wish it could happen peacefully at home when it comes time for our beloved pet to pass on. My cat is terrified of the vet and I sadly have to make the decision, very soon, to euthanize her. Knowing realistically it's the kindest way for her to go, I still hate the fact that her last moments will be spent in fear.... I'd truly appreciate any suggestions on how others have made it easier on their pet. You'd think I'd know what's best for my cat since I'm the one who loves her but for some reason I'm at a loss on this one. Thanks.
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My heart goes out to you, I know how hard it is and how hurt you must be making this very difficult decision.

When my cat Lucky was getting ill, I called around and found there are quite a few vets that will come to your home to euthanize.

I wish you strength, during this difficult time.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Compromised account

Firstly, sorry to hear about it, its never an easy choice to make.

As Happycats suggested, why not try to find a vet who would agree to come to your place to do this?
That way your beloved pet could just fall asleep in its home, in your arms, not petrified and nervous.

Good luck in your search and be strong.
Old March 28th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,I was just reading your other post and I am very sorry about your kitty,you obviously love her very much
Like Happy-Cats says,there are many vets that will come to your home,if your own vet does not,but I am sure he will if your kitty is a long-time patient of his.
It's a very,very difficult decision to make,but I hope you can find a peaceful solution for your little girl
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:01 PM

It's been a rough month for us. My daughter's favorite guinea pig died on March 18th three weeks after surgery for a tooth abscess and the week before that we found out my other cat, who is 21, has terminal cancer. Yes, I know we're lucky to have had them for so long but for me it makes it that much harder to say goodbye. 20 years is longer than some marriages! Thanks for your advice. We have a neighbor who is a vet and maybe I"ll ask her to come over. I'd rather be holding my Dillon in my arms, sitting outside in the sunshine when she passes on.

This is a recent photo of Dillon. Doesn't she look wonderful for a 20 year old cat??

Last edited by smithduke; March 28th, 2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old March 28th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Skylar's Farm

What a handsome cat.....I have found that many vets will make house calls, it just costs a bit extra.
If that doesn't work out, maybe they would let you go and pick up a tranquilizer to give him before the vet trip.
Best wishes during this hard time.
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Master of the Drool!

My Thoughts are with you through the terrible time...Hopefully you will be able to get a vet come to you. Be strong.
AHHHH They are a year old already!!!!
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry you're faced with making the decision so soon I hope your neighbor can help you out--especially if your cat knows her.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Absolutely, she does look like a wonderful cat . My heart feels for you .

Can you find a vet that will come to your home? I think that would be better for your kitty and you. I had that done for Snowball and it was well worth the extra money.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Senior Contributor

So sorry to hear about your kitty.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:38 PM

You could also see if the vet would do it in your vehicle if your cat is more comfortable with the car/carrier then the actual vets office.
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:39 PM

This is my problem...tonight she's seems a little bit better. She's eating well, peeing, but I haven't seen her poo. Right now she's next to me on the sofa, laying on a chenille throw (the one in her photo above), purring and curled up as if she's so, so comfortable. Every so often she stretches out her legs (both front and back) like she's any healthy kitty. Her mind is clear and there's nothing wrong with her except for her hind end weakness. Thank you all for listening to me go on and on about my Dillon but I just can't seem to let go just yet. By the way...and I don't mean to bore anyone, but this is how I found Dillon: I was at work (in 1988) and an employee came rushing into the office telling us that a cat was stuck in his engine. He had driven 20 miles to work, in the rain, and as he got close to our office, he heard a wailing sound. The cries sounded like it was an adult cat that was stuck in his car. We opened his drivers side door and saw a tail sticking out from the right front panel. Thinking the SPCA could help us, we called them but they never showed. After about an hour of hearing this cat scream, she suddenly went silent. We used a crow bar to pry open the front panel and out popped this little, teeny, tiny kitten. She was no more than 5 weeks old and covered in so much grease that we had no idea what color she was. The only thing I saw were these HUGE green eyes staring back at me. I rushed her off to the vet and as they say, the rest is history. Dillon and I bonded immediately! I remember when my Mom died and I was crying, Dillon jumped onto my chest and touched my face with her paws as if to stop me from crying. She would always get upset whenever I raised my voice, or seemed sad or angry. So... that's it. I thought it would be nice for you to know the Dillon that I've come to love so dearly. Everyone has a "Dillon" in their lives and I thank you for all your support. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again!

Last edited by smithduke; March 28th, 2009 at 11:51 PM.
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Live well, laugh often

Dillon is beautiful .

Euthanizing is never an easy decision :sad:. I wish you and Dillon peace and an easy journey when the time is right.

Old March 28th, 2009, 11:55 PM

Thank you! That means a lot to me!
Old March 29th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What a wonderful story. It seems that cats pick us, not the other way around.

What does your vet suggest?

If Dillon's bad days outnumber his good days, then it is time, you will know.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

Dillon is a beautiful cat and does look good for 20 years old.i agree with happycats and find a vet that will come to your home.

It's a very hard desicion to let our beloved pets go to the bridge.my thoughts and prayers go out to you.
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

What a great story,Dillon was a lucky kitty,she was just meant to be yours
I would not be in a hurry to euthanize and I am sure you are not,as long as she has a good quality life.
It's often said,they will tell you,when it's time,but that's mostly not the case.
Animals have the strength to endure pain the way no human can,but usually you can tell by behavior when things get too hard to live with for them.
She's a beautiful old girl
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Chico, you're right. Dillon seems happy so we're not in a rush and just enjoying spending time with her. One thing I noticed is that her drinking has increased dramatically and in turn causes her to urinate a lot. Maybe I'm grasping at straws but I'm wondering (hoping ) that for some reason her blood work showed a false negative for diabetes and Dillon is experiencing diabetic neuropathy. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow to see what he thinks.
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I absolutely agree with Chico, do not be in a hurry to euthanize. Your kitty may have some health issues that can be controlled with meds.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 29th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I too agree with Chico....your cat has a way of letting you know when its time. When I lost my cat who was 22 years old...he was fine and painfree and had a good life...but when it was time to go..He really let me know. He did not want his favorite food, sleep in his favorite bed..he just went to hide..and sleep in private...I knew...if your baby still has a good quality of life don;t feel to rushed.
He is beautiful his eyes are those of a very old wise cat...I love the eyes of old cats..they have so much to say.
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Dillian.

Drinking a lot and peeing alot is a sure sign in people that they might have diabeties. I hope the vet can give u good news. And like the others said here, you will know when it is time to let her go.She sounds like she is still having a good life though.

We had our vet come to our house to put asleep one of our dogs, we just had to pay a bit extra. I hope u can find a vet to do a house call when the time comes.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Let's this is something that can be successfully treated and Dillon will have plenty of time left with you.
Maybe the vet did not check out all the options because of her age
Old March 30th, 2009, 12:04 PM

So sorry that your kitty will soon be euthanized. It is such a sad time for any family. You could ask your vet for an oral tranquilizer that you could give her before you bring her in, to make her relax. I am surprised that your vet has not offered this, since he knows that your cat is terrified. This is what they do for people before surgery.
Old March 30th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara View Post
So sorry that your kitty will soon be euthanized. It is such a sad time for any family. You could ask your vet for an oral tranquilizer that you could give her before you bring her in, to make her relax. I am surprised that your vet has not offered this, since he knows that your cat is terrified. This is what they do for people before surgery.
Just a word of caution on this suggestion..... animals are very different than humans when it comes to tranquilizers..... they can have an adverse affect and result in the opposite of what you wished for meaning a cat that is going nuts and hyper instead of quietly calm. We experienced this adverse reaction with our abysinian.
Old March 30th, 2009, 05:15 PM

We're still unable to go forward with euthanizing her. The vet suggested that we see if thyroid medication will help Dillon's weakness. Thanks for all your prayers and hugs! I'll keep you updated.
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:52 PM
-

Good luck with the thyroid medication.
Old March 30th, 2009, 11:24 PM

To everyone who gave hugs, kisses and prayers...thank you for all your support!!!!

My little Doobies is not doing well. She hasn't had a substantial BM in days and she's not able to urinate well. Her abdomen looks distended and she seems very uncomfortable. My hubby and I both agree that it's time to send her to a more peaceful place. She's been my best friend for 20 years and I'll always treasure that!! Rest in peace my Dilly Beans!! I love you so much!!!
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:11 AM

I'm sorry to hear Dillion is not doing well just a thought ~ perhaps she just has a blockage in her colon that needs some help cleaning out. Also has she been checked for urinary tract infection?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:37 AM

I thought the same thing. Would that cause her to lose strength that much?
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,I am a little confused,is Dillon already gone to the bridge
You know her better than anyone here,whatever you and your husband decide,it will be out of love for Dillon

In answer to your earlier question,my Rocky is doing good on his Hyper T meds,but he never lost his ability to move his legs,I really don't think it's related to Hyper T.