Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM

Question Costco's grain-free?

SOrry to start a new thread, but I did not want the TJ.

Has anyone tried this kibble yet? I am feeding Orijen right now, and would just like something a tiny bit nicer on my wallet. i dont beleive that these two kibbles are of same quality, but how much of a difference are they in quality? ie. on a a scale of 1-10 (1 being 'ol roy and 10 being orijen, or something like that)
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:42 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I can't seem to find a guaranteed or typical analysis online about it so I am going to check it out today when I head over there. I am nervous that the price is so cheap because it is a cheap food. Has anyone had experience with this food yet?
To my mind the life of a lamb is no less precious then that of a human being....I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty by man -Mahatma Ghandi
Old January 31st, 2010, 04:27 PM
Live well, laugh often

This food was recently discussed here .

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....tco+grain+free
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:15 AM

Oh my goodness, i t takes a lot to post on these blogs. I feel the need to do so b/c I was having the same question that many bloggers on many different dog sites are having. The question is...What's the story with the Costco ($30) grain free salmon meal by Pelican Bay, dog food?
I felt like I scrutinized the dog food world before I chose a dog food for my shepherd. I am the finicky one. I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg but I did want quality. Here is what I found:
I compared all the ingredients with the high-end food that was originally recommended to me, ie..Taste of the Wild and a few others. Nonethless, the ingredients with the Pelican Bay Costco food were quite comparable. Not to mention it was $30 for 30lbs.
I took the chance. After 2.5 months, my dog starting snubbing the food and acting aloof. Not sure if dislike was the case but I decided to switch the food to see if his behavior changed. What I can say is that I saw these differences since I did switch his food to a high-end brand: stool was more solid, less stinky (a lot!), and he has been tempted to snack on his poo a lot less.
Here's the deal to all those folks wondering about this food. I am unsure if it is good or bad but I can say I have seen positive changes in my shepherd's waste.
One last thing that I thought was odd about this food (Pelican Bay Grain Free Salmon Meal)... they have no website for this food??I couldn't find any info on the net. Is that weird to anyone else??
Old January 20th, 2011, 09:11 AM

I have heard lots of talk about this food lately and have been wondering about it myself.

@ katty5256 - I was at the Costco in Moncton less then a month ago and they weren't carrying the food there yet. Apparently not all costco stores are carrying yet as they are doing market research to see how it goes over. If it is there could you let me know as I would like to try it on some of mine and see how they do on it. Thanks.

Danae de Italica Terrae (Cane Corso) ~ 2 years
U2 de Italica Terrae (Cane Corso) ~ 4 years
Black Shadow's Sequoia ~ 16 mths
Black Shadow's Rowan ~ 16 mths
VonBrenden's Golden Cyrus (Rottweiler) ~ 8 years
Raine (Domestic Shorthair) ~ 11 years
Hi-Jinx (Domestic Shorthair) ~ 5 years

http://www.blackshadowcanecorso.com/

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
- Eleanor Roosevelt