Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old July 8th, 2007, 03:00 PM

Origen - We have a winner!

The little yorkie likes the Adult Origen formula (charley eats anything so he wasn't really a concern, but he does love it) ! Woohoo! I had bought a little bag on Friday to test it out, and he was still excited to see the bag this morning, so today we went out and bought a 'real' size bag.

The only store I can find that stocks it regularly is quite a pain to get to, so when its time for the next bag (didn't buy lots in case the little snob changes his mind), I was thinking of buying more than one... So where does one store dog food? Would the 'storage' under the stairs to the basement be a good place?
Old July 8th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Half Way To Crazy

I have to agree that Oregien is great Bree really like the food. as for storing it, I keep in it it's regual bag and put the bag in a storage container in my kitchen..
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:41 PM
-

WOO HOO.....glad Orijen is a winner at your house. And, it's always great when all the dogs in the house like the same food.

You can store it under the stairs but make sure you keep it in the original bag tightly rolled up so no air gets in. You'll have to put something heavy on top of the bag because it won't stay rolled tight by itself. You can then put the bag inside a plastic container if you want but never pour the dog food out of the bag and into the plastic container.
Old July 8th, 2007, 07:52 PM

storing dog food

You can then put the bag inside a plastic container if you want but never pour the dog food out of the bag and into the plastic container.<quote>

Umm, I've been pouring food out from the big bag into a plastic container (for neat storage and pouring). Is this a bad idea?

Laurie
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:09 PM

Oops, should have been more clear. I keep the open bags close at hand. I actually pay extra and buy the smaller bags, because at less than 3/4 combined per day, the two dogs don't finish a bog off all that quickly. I was talking about where to store the new, not yet open bags. But by the sounds of it, cool dark places, aka under the stairs, works well.
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Umm, I've been pouring food out from the big bag into a plastic container (for neat storage and pouring). Is this a bad idea?

Laurie[/QUOTE]

On another forum site posters recommended keeping the bag for the following reasons:
1. The plastic container may not be food grade.
2. To protect the kibble from light and getting stale
3. just in case you need to take the food back.
4. you don't have to clean the plastic bin as thoroughly due to less spillage.
Old July 9th, 2007, 11:08 AM

I took keep opened bags in plastic buckets because then I can be sure it is an air-tight spot and not go bad as fast. We keep it in the dark corner of our laundry room that always stays nice and cool. Oh ya, I also got the buckets from work (I work at a restaraunt) which originally held mayonaise (the mayo we buy comes in these huge buckets for the salads we make) and once all the mayonaise is used, the bucket gets sent through our industrial dishwasher and thats where I got mine. Once a month i take my buckets back and send it through the industrial dishwasher for a good thorough cleaning.

I'm glad Orijen has worked so well for you!!! I too, am very happy with it!