Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 30th, 2003, 06:23 PM

Foam insulation ingestion

My portugese water dog ingested some foam insulation. We gave him lots of water. He has continued to drink water but does not want to eat. This is day 3. He is still playful. He vomited a couple times the next day. He has had bowel movements. Eyes are clear and bright Also gave him peptobismol as directed. Any one else ever had this problem?
Old March 31st, 2003, 06:06 PM

Not eating after 3 days?

Not normal. Right? Dogs are supposed to eat. Right?

If this were my pet I'd definitely bring him to a vet or at LEAST call my vet to see what they say.

Who the heck knows what kind of toxic substance he ingested.

Not eating for 3 days is serious, try it sometime.

Sorry for the sarcasm but come on....

Herman
Old March 31st, 2003, 10:51 PM

It's late here, pardon my spelling errors. I also don't have my glasses. =\

The foam insulation is most likely not digested and still sitting there. Pepto bismol isn't going to break down the foam insulation he ate. He probably needs enzymes or something else to break it down so he can pass it from his system - that is, if it's still in his stomach. It could be causing an obstruction of his intestinal tract. That will certainly steal his appetite. He's not impacted since he's pooping out what little he had left in his system before he ate the insulation. He'll eventually stop pooping if he isn't eating. If he doesn't stop pooping, then its either the insulation he's pooping out, or he is in fact eating, just dining out someplace else, given that he obviously doens't mind eating whatever's around. =)

Not eating will make him weak and eventually he'll suffer malnutrition and ultimately starve. He needs to see a vet. He could end up with an obstruction requiring surgery. Get him to vet asap. The foam insulation isn't full of toxins which will poison him, but it certainly isn't "good" for him and certainly it's consistency could cause problems with obstruction, impaction, etc.