Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 9th, 2003, 10:36 PM

Dog anxiety

I have a 6 1/2 year old black lab/hound mix that I have had since she was 5 weeks old.

I can leave the house to go to work or attend other activities and she doesn't seem to care. But about six months ago I had to go away for a few days and my usual dog sitter wasn't available so I put her into a boarding kennel. She went with no problems and when I picked her up she seemed really happy.

Since that time I have put her into the kennel about 4 more times and each time her behavior has gotten worse. She doesn't want to go with the staff and fights to get back to me. I left the office quickly so she couldn't see me but even when she was in the yard she was still giving the staff a hard time.

I pack her bed and some toys for her when I bring her so she will have some comforts from home. It got so bad this last time that the staff had to discontinue her daily walks because once she got out into the yard and she saw the gate she would try to get to it. Unfortunatley this last time she dragged the poor handler, who had fallen to the ground, accross the yard to the gate, which was over 100 yards.

When I pick her up she seems fine, maybe a little excited to see me, but fine. I can bring her home and when I leave her she's fine.

I don't know what to do to calm her down without making things worse for her. I go away maybe once a month and I don't have the luxury of having a dog sitter attend the house anymore. The kennel suggested some type of sedative like gravol but I am not very comfortable doping up my dog so I can go away. I would really like some suggestions to help my dog and I with this. Thanks
Old March 12th, 2003, 11:33 PM

Hi,

I must say that I think you should try another kennel.

In my opinion the kennel staff should MAKE your dog feel comfortable, either with food rewards, praise etc.

The fact that your dog has not habituated, in my mind suggests that the kennel or particular kennel staff is not the best one around.

Herman