Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 12th, 2009, 03:36 AM

dry food!

hi everyone,
my chihuahua has been taking his prescribed kidney diet(dry food) for a few months already, and typically in the past he used to bite/chew onto those dry food before swallowing them. but now, each time i feed him with the dry food, he would practically just swallow them without chewing/biting. i would usually feed him with quite abit of the dry food, and it pains my heart when he just swallow every single one of it very unwillingly.
Should i soften the dry food using hot water first so he can eat it better?
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:37 AM

im afraid if i were to boil them, it may not be good for my chihuahua's heath, or could it have any other bad effects on him??
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I have gobblers also. I just put water in to soften and mash it up. With more water tough you get more pee..

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:43 PM
-

I'm not sure I understand your concern.

Are you worried that he is eating too fast or that he doesn't like his food?

And no, please don't boil it as by doing so you are further processing it and removing what nutrients there might be in the food.

Out of pure curiosity, what are you feeding him and why is he on a prescribed diet?
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:34 AM

oh im sorry if i didnt make my words clear enough!
he's in a prescribed diet because a couple of months back, i brought him to the vet and did the usual annual checkout,and the test revealed that blood urea nitorgen and creatinine levels are abit high and that it might reflect some kidney problems.
and im certainly concerned,that's why i've no choice but to put him on a strict diet everyday. im concerned if he is having a hard time eating those big and solid dry food,because he would just pratically swallow them in without even chewing/biting.
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:37 AM

that is why i thought of boiling them so he can eat it easier.since they're all now soft and easier to eat.
and im really confused,because on one hand, i couldn't bear him just swallowing them(which is just like eating pills), but on the other hand, i've to keep in mind that he takes in the sufficient nutrients he needs in order to improve on him condition?
how?
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:07 AM

please reply someone
thank you!
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM

Location: Back in the Styx outside of a town you've never heard of.
Dry food is a massive breeding ground for bacteria. As such, I dont' recommend you add water to it. Have you considered swapping him to a high quality canned? It is easier to digest, easier on the kidneys because of the high moisture content, and generally just better overall.
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Dog-tastic!

Our dog was almost choking herself by consuming her dry food too fast. Now, we just spray it with water and put it in the microwave for 30 seconds. It warms and softens it. It doesn't come out too hot, so the dog doesn't burn itself when eating.
Old April 17th, 2009, 09:07 AM

You don't mention the age of your dog. Is he elderly? If so, he may have some dental issues that could cause him to have pain chewing the larger kibble. Dental problems can also affect the other organs.

I went through kidney failure, so I'll gladly lend you my shoulder. You could try putting warm (not boiling) water over the kibble and letting it stand 20-30 minutes. Different foods absorb more water than others. I would not try more than a 1 to 1 food/water ratio, but you may be able to do less. Only do this to as much food as your dog will eat at one time. You don't want to leave the soggy stuff around all day. My vet told me that some older dogs don't have as strong a sense of smell. Moistening the kibble or adding some warmed canned food to the kibble, can often make the food smell better and encourage them to eat.

You could also try to find an appropriate wet food. With kidney problems it is important to keep the dog hydrated, so getting extra moisture into him isn't really a bad thing. One other thing you could try, but I don't know how successful it would be, is putting the food in a freezer bag and whacking it with a meat mallet. It would make the kibble smaller and more appropriate for his size. Be thankful that he is eating. That is a very good thing! Good luck.
Old April 18th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Compromised account

Nigel7, there is no problem with using hot water to soften the food abit, as long as you dont leave the mushy food sitting there...if your dog can finish the food in one sitting - great. If not, be prepared to throw it away, because it will not be good to feed again.

I do that, I splash a bit of hot water on the dry food, but I always make sure theres no more food left after the feeding time is over.

How old is your pet? What brand of food are you feeding him?
There is a HUGE amount of information on food on this forum, just do a little research into what goes in your food and what you should look out for. I know that I always thought the vet food must be a really good food, since its sold at the vet and is expensive, but truth be told - NO, it isnt. Look it up!