Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:47 AM
Owned by Angus & Brier

Post Infected Ears in Lab

Hi, my boyfriends parents' dog, Duke, who is a beautiful black lab is having a lot of problems with his ears. The ears are obviously infected and bother him because he is constantly shaking his head and scratching his ears. And loves it when anyone scratched them for him. He's going to be 7 in May (i think) and I don't think he's ever been to the vet. My boyfriends father went to the vet once and got him some drops but he claims they didn't work. I've been around Duke for 2 yrs now and he's always had itchy ears. I was out taking his picture the other day and noticed a lot of crusty stuff on the fur outside his ears. After I mentioned it he tried to put 1/2 white vinegar 1/2 water mix in the ear (a friend told him to do it). I know that vinegar can be used to treat ear infections but you have to do it daily till the infection is gone. The problem is that my boyfriend and I were in the house and we heard Duke outside crying, yelping actually. We ran outside and he was dragging his ears across the snow. He did not respond well to the vinegar mixture. Apparently this happened before, but when my boyfriends father does this, he only does it every once and awhile. I guess my question is what can I do for him? I think I'm just gonna take him to the vet myself and get his ears swabbed because I don't know if its a bacterial or yeast infection. Should I start using a mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar and water for his ears? I've read about this, I just don't want to hurt him. He is really a sweet dog, he has had a hard life. My boyfriend's parents' got him when he was a year old and he had been beaten or abused somehow because he is terrified of everything. Anyways this is long enough so if I could get any advice it would be greatly appreciated.