Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old October 10th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Eagle Pack Holistic pet foods - changed formula?

Some info if anyone has it would be so much appreciated.
I have been using Eagle Pack cat foods for some time now, it was a great formulation for my guys, especially one who had sensitivities to other foods. I have just gone through some problems with my Quincy's colon repeatedly clogging up, even with added benefibre, water to the food and probiotics. When I was telling my breeder about this, she told me that Eagle Pack had been bought out by another parent company and had changed the formula - ie adding more fillers and she wondered perhaps if this was not a contributing factor to his constipation of late.
She was using the Eagle Pack for her GSD's and stopped a couple of months ago because she noticed a decline in their coats and over all well being which improved after switching foods.
Does anyone know anything about Eagle Pack changing parent companies and formulas? Unfortunately, I stopped reading the labels some time ago so did not notice any ingredient change, just assuming that it remained the same. Packaging and pricing remained the same..maybe even increased a bit.
Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
Does anyone know anything about Eagle Pack changing parent companies and formulas?
There was a merger at the beginning of this year between Old Mother Hubbard (Wellness) and Eagle Pack, to form a new umbrella company called Wellpet. There were no formula changes to any of their products until very recently (beginning of October), when some varieties have apparently had the sodium and inositol removed. Perhaps Quincy is having bowel problems because of the added Benefiber? What happens if you use something like slippery elm bark instead?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 10th, 2009, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
There was a merger at the beginning of this year between Old Mother Hubbard (Wellness) and Eagle Pack, to form a new umbrella company called Wellpet. There were no formula changes to any of their products until very recently (beginning of October), when some varieties have apparently had the sodium and inositol removed. Perhaps Quincy is having bowel problems because of the added Benefiber? What happens if you use something like slippery elm bark instead?
I have never used slippery elm but have had it recommended to me before. I have tried the Natural Factors Ultimate probiotics in his food in the morning and decreased his propulsid, but I have nothing to lose by trying the slippery elm as well.
At this point, I am going to keep him on the propulsid daily as well. I have heard that the addition of fibre can have the opposite effect at times, and perhaps this is one of them. He refused the high fibre canned the vet sent home with him yesterday after his evacuation. In fact, they all did
If there has been no adverse change to the Eagle Pack formula, I prefer to keep him on that.
Thanks for the info SCM. I appreciate your knowledge.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge