Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 18th, 2011, 09:46 PM

Thor's new cage...is it ok?

Hey...
If you don't know, I have a jack russell/pappillon.
He is one HYPER boy(which I love!)...when I'm home, he's good as gold...but when I'm not...oh boy!
He's a MASTER chewer....he'll chew anything he can get his teeth into(included wires!)
He's chewed FOUR holes into the carpet of my apartment(gonna love that damage bill when I move out...ugh...lol).
I bought him a crate, which he loved....until I tried locking him into it. He FREAKED.
So instead I came up with gates to baracade him into the living room/kitchen/dining area....it worked for a while...then he decided the pads weren't fun to go to the bathroom on anymore(I pad trained due to weather reasons when I first got him...we'll be starting outdoor training soon...god help me...lol)...so carpets got stained like you wouldn't believe!(luckly we're borrowing my bf's brother's steam carpet cleaner)...but I knew in order to save my house I had to confine Thor.
So I made him a pen. One I'd be ok with locking him in.(I HATED the idea of locking him into a small cage for 4-8 hrs while no one was home 4 days a week).
So is this cage ok?
He should be ok in it right?
I just don't want him to feel caged, or bored, or confined...etc...I just want him happy.
So what do you all think?
Doors open....

Doors closed....

Thor in it, on "time out"....

Just for your info....the cage itself is 4ft by 4ft.
So is it ok, or no? Anything you'd change?
Inputs gladly taken!
Angie
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Angie, I would most definitely roof that pen with a sheet of weldmesh (wire) if your hardware stores sell it, because if he goes to jump out he could end up in the same trouble as my lamb that tried to jump over wire to get to a fodder roll. A bit high so he had to scramble, got a foot through the wire but still landed over the top of it, and I reckon must have gone very close to breaking his leg.
For cleanliness I'd have covered the carpet with layers and layers and layers of newspapers(easy to pick up if he wets on them, thick enough so it can't soak through), and what comforts mine is to drape a blanket over the sleeping end of the pen so they feel cozy, like they are in a den.
Incidentally, here I get the newspapers from our newsagency that failed to sell, they just cut the banner off them and send that back, then get rid of them. So, they are nice and clean, and fortunately, free!
Nice sized pen for a small dog to have some time out in.
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

He is super cute. It will be years till he calms down The pen is a great size. That's what I had to do. I agree with the other comment, cover it, my boston learned how to climb out of it right away.
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Senior Contributor

personally, I'd take out half the toys also, like a kid, you give them too many and they get bored, rotate them instead, different days, different toys....
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Half Way To Crazy

I agree with Melinda about the toys,
also if you can find something else to replace the twist ties that are holding the pen together, if he chews, this could be dangerous.

can I also ask why is it on the carpet if he chews through the carpet?? why not put it on the tiles beside the carpet??
what is the box for??
I would also not put anything on the corners on top, if he jumps and reaches whatever is in those boxes or knapsack it also could be dangerous
Old April 19th, 2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Angie, I would most definitely roof that pen with a sheet of weldmesh (wire) if your hardware stores sell it, because if he goes to jump out he could end up in the same trouble as my lamb that tried to jump over wire to get to a fodder roll. A bit high so he had to scramble, got a foot through the wire but still landed over the top of it, and I reckon must have gone very close to breaking his leg.
For cleanliness I'd have covered the carpet with layers and layers and layers of newspapers(easy to pick up if he wets on them, thick enough so it can't soak through), and what comforts mine is to drape a blanket over the sleeping end of the pen so they feel cozy, like they are in a den.
Incidentally, here I get the newspapers from our newsagency that failed to sell, they just cut the banner off them and send that back, then get rid of them. So, they are nice and clean, and fortunately, free!
Nice sized pen for a small dog to have some time out in.
Actually I was planning to layer it in puppy pads, but he's been SUPER good in going ON the pad while in it. So gonna leave it, to see if he'll "retrain" and start going on the pads again...if not, then it'll be layered in the pads.(he likes shredding paper...as he has to a few bills my bf has accidently left in his reach...lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
He is super cute. It will be years till he calms down The pen is a great size. That's what I had to do. I agree with the other comment, cover it, my boston learned how to climb out of it right away.
On my bf's payday(friday) we're going to buy more cubes and I'm going to be roofing the top. I'm lucky...he hasn't learnt how to climb yet, he still jumps like a kangaroo at us, when he wants on the couch...lol...altho I'm sure he'll figure it out soon. He's one smart puppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
personally, I'd take out half the toys also, like a kid, you give them too many and they get bored, rotate them instead, different days, different toys....
Would you be shocked if I did say that WAS half his toys???lol...cause it is. He has another box(which are in the spare room) of toys. I kinda went crazy getting toys to keep him entertained so he wouldn't chew my house up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze View Post
I agree with Melinda about the toys,
also if you can find something else to replace the twist ties that are holding the pen together, if he chews, this could be dangerous.

can I also ask why is it on the carpet if he chews through the carpet?? why not put it on the tiles beside the carpet??
what is the box for??
I would also not put anything on the corners on top, if he jumps and reaches whatever is in those boxes or knapsack it also could be dangerous
It's not actually twist ties...they're actually heavy duty rope pieces. Hoping it'll hold. Twist ties as plastic, and he's mastered plastic. So I went with rope.
I wanted to move the kitchen table(that's what the tile area is, my dining area. But bf said no way, and said to put it where it is. So I agreed. As he is not to happy about the big pen in our living area to begin with. But told bf, if he starts to chew the carpet in this area(his 4 holes are in his "favorite" areas...he tends to leave the rest alone so far) then the table would be gone, and it would be move. Bf grumbled, but didn't say no....so time'll tell...lol
The box is his house, as he's literally chewed his crate to crap(he's a master chewer like I said)....so if he chews the box, it's easy clean up, and easier/cheaper to replace.
That knapsack is his carrying case(He LOVES it), the box is just his "coats"...and the red bag is just his puppy pads. But if needed, I can just place em beside the cage until the roof is ALL covered....no biggy there.

Thanks for the inputs guys!
Now if I can just figure a way to have him in there, when I'm home, for time outs, WITHOUT his whining his butt off, I'll be all good...lol
Good thing tho, he's quiet in it, when I'm not home....or so I think, as my neighbour hasn't complained again.(she did complain when I had him locked in the bathroom, saying he howled for hours).
Angie

Last edited by Thor's Pet; April 19th, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Try using "Tie wraps" u can pull them snug and then cut off the extra, it will work better than twist ties. Also they come in many sizes at your local hardware store.
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:17 AM
cassintheuk

I also have a jack Russell/Rat Terrier mix and the key to chewing and being content is exercise! All puppies are hyper but jack russells are the dogs that just keep going for most of their lives! Whew, makes me tired just thinking about it! :-). A long walk everyday will do you both wonders and you'll see major change in him. I swear by it! Anna, my jack mix, is actually pretty calm when she's with us in the house. We did not get her until she was 4 to 5 months and she had been starved by her previous owners She wanted to chase cars, she hates other dogs when on leash and barks like crazy at people until they reach her (STRANGER DANGER!). Positive training is also the only thing that works for my jack mix also. She's almost a different dog.

I love the cage and he is just too cute! Gosh, how can you ever be mad at that face!?
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor's Pet View Post

The box is his house, as he's literally chewed his crate to crap(he's a master chewer like I said)....so if he chews the box, it's easy clean up, and easier/cheaper to replace.
That knapsack is his carrying case(He LOVES it), the box is just his "coats"...and the red bag is just his puppy pads. But if needed, I can just place em beside the cage until the roof is ALL covered....no biggy there.
if he chewed his create then I wouldn't be putting a cardboard box in the pen.

this is what I would do

for a small cutie dog like Thor, I would make the pen a little smaller, only give him 1 or 2 toys that he can chew but not destroy and rotate with the others. water bowl , only give him a blanket if you are sure he won't destroy it. and remove all temptations for him to jump

I would also excersise him a lot before putting him in the pen, then when you come home straight outside for more excersie and pee/poo
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:52 AM

That's just it! He and I take MINIMUM an hr walk each day(sometimes longer if his energy is still good, if he's tired, he whines and jumps my legs..lol), then play for minimum an hr each day(he tends to get bored while playing with me...and wanders off to play on his own...lol). Even the bf plays each day with him(for about 30 mins to an hr)...so it's not cause he's bored. He's just HYPER...lol I love it, don't get me wrong(I cant wait until he's older, and he can take my 2-3 hr walks with me without getting tired)....and the chewing, while when I'm home, he's GREAT...I just replace the thing he's trying to chew with a toy(usually his blue chew bone that he loves) and he gets the idea, and behaves....but when I'm NOT home...it's like my house is free game....hense the pen.
As to the cardboard house, he's only chewed it once, got sprayed with a water bottle(bf did it...lol) and he hasn't tried to chew it again yet!And he was in there from 9am yesterday until 4:30(I did a morning shift at work)...and he only went on the pad, didn't chew on the house, and frankly, was a good little boy! Altho he sure was excited to get OUT of it when he heard us come in the door...haha! Can you say HYPER tho...so he and I went for a nice long walk.
Angie
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Doggie Wench

Although I would prefer a dog to have something like an x-pen such as this one http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...766&pcatid=766 (safer imo) I would agree that your enclosure needs something safe over the top...perhaps some type of sturdy chicken wire or fencing material available at hardware stores. I also agree that you should replace the rope with heavy duty tie wraps.

When you come home, do you lift your pup over the top when you remove him or do you have him walk out the 'door'? If you lift him over, you may be unknowingly teaching him an escape route. Also, you mention walking him when you get home...any way you can give him that 1 hour walk/playtime before you leave for work?
Old April 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM

Looks like you are making progress with him but certainly you have a firecracker on your hands! Hang in there, it will get better. His antics made me laugh out loud - hope you can laugh it off too

And, based on my own experience, I can confirm that LP is 1000 % right to suggest to walk him before you leave for work (as well as after )
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
When you come home, do you lift your pup over the top when you remove him or do you have him walk out the 'door'? If you lift him over, you may be unknowingly teaching him an escape route. Also, you mention walking him when you get home...any way you can give him that 1 hour walk/playtime before you leave for work?
Oh, I make him "patiently" wait,(haha, Thor is NEVER patient) while I unlock the locks that hold the doors shut.(I use 3 little heavy duty locks to hold the door shut, so no getting out for him!)
He is NEVER lifted out....he's learns to quick, that I've caught on to....lol
As to walkin him before work, sometimes he and I will get out for a quick 30 min walk before I head to work...if I'm starting later in the day....but if I'm an early shift(like 9-10am) and have to leave my house at 8-9am, it's tough to get out beforehand...Thankfully I only USUALLY have 2 early shifts a week.
As well I'm trying to convince my bf to take him on walks sats when I'm at work....so far, he's not interested, but I'll convince him yet!(Bf is a couch potato...hense why I got a puppy for company on my walks...cuz the bf won't even come with me on walks!)...
But while bf is home he WILL play with him...before he wouldn't, so we're getting somewhere....slowly, but surely.
I'm hoping having a puppy will get the bf more active to....just not holding my breath to much...lol
But gotta go...Thor is wide awake and ready to play....lol. He usually is out for the count for an hr or so after a walk, but this time only 30 min...hmmmm...thinking gonna have to ignore his "tired" cues, and walk him a little longer next time...lol
Angie
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:37 PM

Even if you work an "early" shift, you need to exercise Thor before you leave. I used to get up at 3:30 or 4am every day when Whistler was younger, because he needed a minimum of 6 hours a day of hard exercise ("walks" are just not going to cut it for your little guy either)!

Hope this set up works for you-good luck!!