Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 20th, 2003, 11:51 AM

Question My baby is sick and his vet can't figure it out

We have an eight year old border/collie mix male, always a house dog, past medical history unremarkable. Shares his house with one other canine and two feline brothers. Approx. five lbs over ideal weight, walks three-five miles a week. Six weeks ago, family noticed he was trying to paw something out of his mouth, couldn't find anything. Got worse over the day. Late evening, rushed to ER with bleeding from the gums which was causing some gagging/choking. Blood work revealed normal red count, slightly elevated white count, low fever of 102.9. Extremely low blood pressure. Bleeding subsided with no treatment. Patient appeared relieved, calmed, and placed on antibiotic treatment. Sent home. Since then, parents report more than usual lethargy, with gums at time appearing VERY WHITE. Further blood work shows slight elevation in liver enzymes. Patient still has good appetite. Parents insist something is wrong, but no one at the vet clinic has any clear ideas. Talk of liver biopsy, etc.

Parents want to do the right thing...has anyone ever heard/read of something like this? Any idea of which direction we should take? Any advice/idea greatly appreciated.
Old February 21st, 2003, 12:18 PM

Lightbulb Just a few thoughts

Is the dog on any sort of medication? Was a full blood panel don or just a few tests? If not do a full blood panel and see what that says. I am not a vet but this is what I would be looking at if it were my dog. Good luck to you. Let me know what happens.
Old February 21st, 2003, 04:37 PM

Yes, a full blood panel was done, including some tick disease work and all was negative or within acceptable range. Have done extensive research which leads to some kind of liver involvement, but we don't want to do anything really invasive (ie liver biopsy) without a clear indication it would be necessary. Currently all appears ok/acceptable with the blood work. However, we have had him eight years and we know he doesn't feel like himself. We are at a loss, but want to do the right thing for him. Thanks for caring.