Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 8th, 2003, 02:57 PM

3-year old poodle with nasal discharge

I have a standard poodle that has had a problem with eye and nose discharge for about a year now. Her blood work has come back negative-full panel-we had her lymph nodes tested-no cancer-she has been x-rayed and has had a full dental exam, x-ray, and cleaning. we have tested her for fungal infection as well.Antibiotics clear it up and she goes months without problems, only to have it reoccur out of the blue. This is not seasonal, it happens different parts of the year. She usually stops eating, sneezes,etc. We are at our wits end! has anyone ever run into this that might have some other idea as to what is going on? It did not start until about a year and a half ago. this problem has been bilateral-it has occured on both sides.
Old October 8th, 2003, 06:13 PM

Could it be allergies? Maybe to her food or something that she is sneeking?

You have been to a Vet so they have probably checked for heart conditions - these can lead to ecessive build up of fluid and thus nasel discharge.

hope that helps
samantha
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:03 PM

Thanks-you know we have not even considered a food allergy yet-I'll start a diary. Trying to think what she has been into lately-oh,yeah, that would be everything Kris
Old October 9th, 2003, 09:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Is it possible she could have a foreign body in her nasal passage that is causing irritation? It might be something that doesn't show up on an x-ray.
Old October 10th, 2003, 09:57 PM

We had her scoped after the x-rays during her dental cleaning-best time to stick a camera up her poodle snout-nothing. She is just now clearing up again on antibiotics and eyedrops. Thanks for the reply though-I need all the suggestions I can get!
Old October 11th, 2003, 06:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Did they do an xray of her teeth and mouth when they did a dental exam? It almost seems like she could have some incipient dental problem that flares up occasionally, that would cause runny nose. I have a tooth that sometimes "flares up" and gets real sore, it makes my nose run - if I take antibiotics for a couple of days it goes away. (I did go to the dentist & have had full xrays but he says he can't really see anything yet. Said to wait until it gets real bad, then go in for a root canal...!) Anyhow, it could be a dnetal issue.

Otherwise I'd think either a food/airborn/contact allergy. Allergies can be difficult to pinpoint, so keeping a diary of everything that could potentially cause this reaction might help. There's allergen tests - like the RAST test - that you can ask your vet about.
Old October 11th, 2003, 10:40 AM

Yes, we had the full dental xrays done, and her sinus cavities to make sure she did not have an abcess or something causing this. About the only thing we have not done is a CAT scan of her little noggin. I have a good vet who is pretty baffled, and my husband and I are about broke after all of these tests! I think I am going with the food allergy, but we are also trying to decide if she is being affected by the pool chemicals. this last bout happened pretty soon after we shocked our pool, and she does like to get in the water. Anyone else ever have this problem?
Old March 24th, 2004, 09:19 AM

We're going through exactly the same thing with our dog Mackie.
His nose has been bad since January. How is your dog doing now? Can you tell me the route you've walked in the past few months?? We've been through 4 courses of antibiotics, x-rays, scope, 12 biopsies, bacterial swab, fungal swab and so far the diagnosis is that he's sick. Very fustrating.
Can you update me on your situation??
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:21 AM

Yes, it's been a while since I posted here about this. Indy has Addison's disease. The symptoms in each dog can be very non-specific, but often include repeated infections and weird bloodwork that just seems to indicate some kind of infectious process, but nothing more. We continued to have problems with her, including lack of appetite, weight loss, some dehydration-all signs of her adrenal glnds just not doing their thing. Vets just shook their head. Finally one Sat morning about 4 or five months ago I took one look at her and brought her to the Vet emergency-she just was not right, most dog owners will know that gut feeling when somethings wrong with your furry child. She was having an Addisons crisis(crashing), and as soon as they hooked her up to fluids she bounced right back. I was lucky that there was an intern there that immediately suspected Addisons and we had her tested. I guess the disease starts out mild sometimes and gets worse, so her bloodwork was finally showing the typical imbalances for this disease. She is now on the shot once a month and a very low(1/2 milligram) dose of prednisone every other day. The nasal stuff totally cleared up and has never reoccured, so that was just her immune system giving us the flag-Indy is a standard poodle, which has been known to have problems with this, but the disease has been diagnosed in almost all breeds and mixed breeds as well-there is a test, you might want to get it done.Addisons is perfectly treatable and does not affect their quality of life or life span. The meds can be bought over the internet , worth it-Kris Albert