Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 13th, 2008, 03:34 PM

Sick lab

Hi All,

I have a 13 year old black lab. He started by having a bleeding nose from 1 side only. That came and went for a couple of weeks. Then it started again. I took him to the vet (he hates care rides and vet offices). They did some blood work and it all came back ok. I did not do the xrays to determine cancer or not as I did not want to put my buddy through any more testing that he does not like and being old he gets upset. He has had his fair share of health concerns from cronic ear infections to large fatty tumours which were removed about a year ago. He has also had coonhond paralysis when he was younger. Generally a very happy lab that loved to play and full of life.

I figured he had nasal cancer as the blood work was ok and there was not obstruction if his nose. I was also told that hi heart is probably failing him. He was ok and eating a playing as usual untill a couple of days ago. He started snorting at night time and had to pant to breath. It has not gotten any better in the last couple of days and he is now without sleep for a few days. He seems to be very congested. He now will not eat. I think it is because he can not smell anything.

I have tried a few different homopatic alergy medications. I also have him on relaxing drop to keep him calm.That seemed to slow the nose drips with blood down and he has not had a major nose bleed and sneezing attack for over a week and a half now.

He is drinking ok and moves about slowly. He will eat drog treats but that seems to be about it. He will take food from you hand but has no interest in his dog food or anything in a bowl. I am going to try alergy pills tonight. The lack of eating and his age has me very concerned, along with the major congestion. I have arranged to have a vet visit the house tomorrow, we believe it will be the day we put him down.

He has been a great friend for 13 years and I was hoping that some one might have a suggestion or thoughts that could help save this great family member.

I really do appricate everyones time and suggestions.

Thanks
Water10 and Wishbone.
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I hate to say this but your old dog is suffering.

At 13, he is a very old man. While I certainly understand you want to do everything you can to keep your friend by your side, you might seriously start to consider all of your options.

Taking him back to the vet and letting them poke and prod some more, while not pleasant for your dog at the time, may lead to a diagnosis of something simple to treat. Or it may lead to a cancer diagnosis. But either way, a few minutes of unpleasantness are a small price to pay considering what he is dealing with now.

I am so sorry your friend is suffering. Best of luck.
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:32 PM

I do have the vet coming over to check him out and see if there is something they can do.

Thanks
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Please let us know how it goes.
Old June 13th, 2008, 05:48 PM

I will. I have him eating soft cat food right now. I am planning on getting his teeth check for an abscess and also some anitbootics and pain meds. I hope that may help. I will also have them do a nasal swab for fungs.
Old June 13th, 2008, 06:31 PM

to hear your old lab is sick....hopefully theVet will have some good suggetions during the home visit (you are so fortunate to have a Vet who will do home visits, less stress on your friend....)

Good luck and let us know what the Vet says...

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:00 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by water101 View Post
I will. I have him eating soft cat food right now.
Cat food may very probably give him diarhea , when my Daisy stopped eating her kibble , I would cook her ground beef and rice. I would give her meat baby food (the little jar ones) too. So sorry about your dog :sad: