Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 30th, 2010, 07:55 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

yes right on the can...the moisture showed 78% max...no sodium listed on it.

When I get home I will list all the other stuff.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

How is Bomber doing, Winston
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Bomber seems okay. He has still pee'd outside the box a couple of times so I am not sure if the clavamox is working. I need to have a urinalysis done in about a week to see if anything is working?? I actually think he is loosing weight because he seems a little on the thin side lately and they didnt weigh him last time he was in.

I think Bomber is handling things better than his mom because she cant wrap her head around what he needs food wise

How is Nickie doing today? I hope she settling back in to her usual routine. I am glad the transport team is working out sooooo well!

You did an awesome thing mf!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

pleas e check your pm
Old June 30th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

here is the full breakdown on the can

crude protein 10%
crude fat 6%
crude fiber 1%
moisture 78%
ash 2.2
calium 0.22%
phosphorus 0.18%
magnesium 0.022%
taurine 0.06%

doesnt matter about the breakdown now anyway they didnt like the performatrin only a few mouthfulls?

I went and bought a couple of the teeny wellness turkey and the wellness chicken to see if they will try it?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
here is the full breakdown on the can

crude protein 10%
crude fat 6%
crude fiber 1%
moisture 78%
ash 2.2
calium 0.22%
phosphorus 0.18%
magnesium 0.022%
taurine 0.06%

doesnt matter about the breakdown now anyway they didnt like the performatrin only a few mouthfulls?

I went and bought a couple of the teeny wellness turkey and the wellness chicken to see if they will try it?
The moisture content is a max value, is the phos listed as "phos 0.18% min" or is it listed as actual value like you typed it?

If phos is actual value the food comes in @ 0.81% dry matter phos

If that is min value & providing the actual doesn't go over 0.26% you're still looking at good numbers roughly around 1.18% dry matter phos (if at 0.26 actual)

Did you try adding some of the Natural Balance to it? or PureBites treats, parmesan cheese, cooked chicken bits, tiny bit of melted butter on top?

Try warming the food up a little bit, put hot water in the sink just enough to heat the bottom of the dish, place food dish in the water & let sit for a minute to release the aroma, make sure the dish & food is not too hot for the delicate kitty nose to touch

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Wiston,my cats did not like Perfomatrin either,I tried it a couple of years back.

I do exactly what Growler says,but I put the can in a dish of hot water.
Wellness has a lot of juice in it and I usually pour some of it on top of their food,they seem to like that,probably smells strong.

Also,Rocky at one point stopped eating and he cannot lose any more weight,but after I put his dish on a fat book to elevate it,he eats very well,3 times/day.

to you and Bomber
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:31 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chico which wellness do you buy? the one I bought is a teeny little 3oz can to try it. There was no juice just pate type food?

There were a fewe types of wellness??Wellness normal then a wellness core? and I think another one?

I am going to try and mix a bit of the old food today. Tabitha seems to eat the wellness. Bomber hasnt been eating well since I started him on the meds. Today he looks really tired for some reason? He is having a snooze right now with his brat of a sister!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
Mickey, my angel

Winston, you are right on track in trying the regular Wellness chicken and turkey. Wellness is an excellent choice and has high quality ingredients, and for your CRF kitty, you do want the regular, not the Core. Another couple of flavours you could also try are the Wellness chicken and beef as well as the kitten and, yes, they are all pate. All these flavours were already researched by Growler and have under 1.18% phosphorus content on a dry matter basis which is good. Other flavours of Wellness are somewhat higher in phosphorus.

Good idea to try to introduce it slowly by adding it to the food they are familiar with. Growler also has some great suggestions about adding the toppings and warming the dish to encourage them to eat it.

If Bomber's loss of appetite started when he was put on the meds, it is possible that the Clavamox may be contributing to it. Clavamox is a good antibiotic, but it can sometimes cause nausea in some kitties. Many kitties who suffer from CRF also experience nausea at some point and, if you are not already doing so, keeping Bomber's food and water dishes raised as Chico mentioned is a great idea and highly recommended for CRF kitties and any kitties who may be experiencing nausea.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:10 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thanks Mischiko! How high should I raise the dishes?

I did get the chicken and beef...not kitten....have a few cans so hoepfully I can get Bomber intrigued...

I am so glad there are wonderful people here with tons of knowledge! makes it much easier for me to deal with. I love my boy and it hurts knowing he is sick! But I will do whatever it is I need to do.

I am going to make his appointment with the new vet and try to bring them up to speed on whats going on. Basically this appointment will be to check the urine and see if the antibiotic is working. I really hope this place is good. Its an all cat clinic...makes it tough with having a dog too but I am looking for another vet for Winston too!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:45 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
How high should I raise the dishes?
Anywhere from 2 to 6 inches is recommended but 2 to 3 inches is usually sufficient. The idea is that the head is not below the stomach when eating. I only had Mickey's bowls elevated about 3 inches and he was a big boy. You can experiment and find out what works best with Bomber.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I buy the large cans,since I feed 3 cats,but that's for 2 meals breakkie/lunch,then I have the medium size for dinner.
They all have some juice in it.
I use a book,about 2 1/2 inches high for Rocky,it's amazing the difference it made.
My 3 boys did not like the chicken/beef,but that does not mean Bomber won't like it.

Last edited by chico2; July 1st, 2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:43 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

anyone ever heard of this food or tried it?

http://www.weruva.com/
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I've bought it before for the gang once when their food order didn't come in. They liked it, but it's way out of my price range to give to them all the time.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
anyone ever heard of this food or tried it?

http://www.weruva.com/
It's a decent food (they use very high quality meat), except there's potato starch in pretty much every flavour. I have no idea what the phosphorus levels would be. And as AG mentioned, it's hella expensive. But maybe if your cats liked it, you could mix it half-n-half with something else to mitigate the price.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 2nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I've never seen it before
Old July 3rd, 2010, 01:52 AM

All the chicken flavours except Grandma's Chicken Soup (too high @ 1.36% dm phos) work out to have 1.13% dm phos, which is good though these are estimates as both the moisture & phos levels are listed as max values.

However if the food is actually what is shown in those pictures you might be throwing out quite a bit of it, with the exception of the Paw Lickin' Chicken & the Nine Liver they all have large chunks of potato & carrot - not all cats will dig into that.

Old July 4th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I have been giving them Wellness Chicken and also the Chicken & Beef...havent tried to Turkey yet. Tabitha seems to like them. Bomber on the ther hand has not eaten much for 2 days?? He is sleeping alot as well. I think that is the fortekor that is making him tired?? I forgot to raise the dishes so the next meal I will...I am hoping he is a little more hungry tonight...
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 4th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I could not believe the difference it made for Rocky with raised dishes,now Chico wants the same
for Bomber to eat tonight
Stirring up the food,so he can really smell it and the little bit of juice in the can on top of the food helps too.
Old July 4th, 2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Bomber on the ther hand has not eaten much for 2 days?? He is sleeping alot as well. I think that is the fortekor that is making him tired??
Try everything you can to get him to eat: adding warm water, heat the food in the dish in a bowl of hot water, treats like Purebites, little sprinkle of parmesean cheese, teensey tiny pinch of catnip (doesn't work with all cats, but some it will stimulate the appetite a bit), bits of shredded cooked chicken etc

If the tiredness/extra sleeping/lethargy continues, you should let the vet know, they may wish to adjust the dosage:

Quote:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/benazepril.html
SIDE EFFECTS

Nausea, appetite loss, or diarrhea are sometimes observed with this medication. In some patients, these effects are severe enough to preclude the use of benazepril.

In some patients, blood pressure can drop too low as the peripheral blood vessels are dilated. This manifests as listlessness and lethargy. Often the dose of benazepril can be modified should this side effect occur.

Benazepril may lead to elevations in potassium blood levels.

Old July 5th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well Bomber didnt eat last night. I could only get him to eat a teeny bit off my finger. He threw up too and it was a frothy type substance...and then went back to sleep for the night. I am soo worried now!

I booked an appointment with the new vet clinic and she was so worried she said she would fit me in tonight. How nice was that! She is very concerned about him not eating and the neds he is on.

I need some good vibes! feeling really down about this...I will let you know what the new vet says!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 5th, 2010, 02:29 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sending lots of and keeping my for Bomber, Winston! With luck they'll just need to adjust his meds to get his appetite going again!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 5th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Well Bomber didnt eat last night.
Is he still taking the Clavamox? That can also cause digestive issues, especially nausea.

Good luck at the vet tonight!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well we are back from the new vet. I did like her and she seemed to know her stuff. We were there for 1 ˝ hours but she told me she was busy as long as I didn’t mind waiting.

Basically she feels it is the Clavamox that has made Bomber not feel well. I was actually embarrassed because as I was explaining to her that he wasn’t eating and vomiting etc she handed him a handful of some dry food and he ate it so quickly it looked like I had starved him. I was horrified because you should have seen him go after the food!

Bomber is down to 7.1 pounds from 8.8. Vet was very concerned about that. You can now see the weight loss. Its actually very sad looking. We went over everything that was done a couple of weeks ago and we also went over the meds. She has said to take Bomber off of everything. She got a urine sample and it will be a Culture and Sensitivity and the results for that will not be back until at least Friday she said. She also confirmed that the previous sample was not a C&S. Once we know what we are dealing with then she will decide what to do further and what meds to prescribe for that issue. She seemed concerned that he seemed to repeatedly have the Cocci strain??

We are also doing a Urine Protein: Creatinine Ratio Test. She drew blood to confirm the levels that were previously taken for his RBC’s and the pt level….(I cant explain this one very well) .

She put Bomber on potassium (the invoice shows Tumil K Tablets) and those are 1 per day. We then discussed food options and although she didn’t disagree with my food comments she put it to me like this. She just wants weight on Bomber right now and I should do whatever it takes for that. Whether that be home cooking , the old food he was eating just get him eating. She liked that I had him on wellness but he wasn’t eating hardly any of it. Her main concern was not so much the protein BUT the phosphorus and sodium. Once we know what UTI we are treating and Bomber gets a little weight back on him we are not going to worry about food. I broke down and bought him the dry because I don’t have any of the dry left. I told her I would try him again on the canned but indicated he didn’t like it before?? So she said if he will eat the other brands just get him to eat it. So we have 1 can of Mature Diet (royal canin) and I bought a bag of the Medi Cal Mature Diet (the one he scarfed up in the waiting area.)…She agreed to check out some brand names for me so I know what I can look for when I am out shopping for food. Today was a zoo and she didn’t have enough time.

Bomber was none too pleased that he was there! I tried the soft food and I think he is just too pissed off and upset to even find the energy to eat. I actually brought it to him on the bed upstairs where he is sleeping and he only had a couple of licks…..hopefully once he is more settled he will have a bit more to eat….

I hope he starts to feel better soon….he pee’d in the living room right in front of me today looking at me????? Just as I was getting ready to leave for work.

Thanks for all the good vibes!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

The vet sounds like she's got it together. I hope she's able to figure out what is causing this. I do agree about the food. At least he'll be eating something.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.felinecrf.org/persuading_cat_to_eat.htm

this is an interesting site; they talk about protein in foods. I know its not what Bomber has, but the protein part is interesting. It may give you ideas.
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Well I am feeling so bad for Bomber. He came home from the new vets at 6pm last night and he hasnt left the upstairs bedroom since. I checked on him this morning and he was sleeping but is definately not feeling himself....I brought him up a handful of treats which he ate. So idecided to bring up some food to the bedroom. He ate about a 1/2 teaspoon of food and a teeny bit of water....but seemed to get tired fast and laid his head back down.

I had discussed with the vet about Bomber and if he is suffering and she said he did not appear to be in distress but just not feeling well which made me feel a bit better because the last thing I want is for him to suffer.

I am at work right now and worried sick. I may take some time off this afternoon to check on him. Some of the results should be in today with the exception of the C&S.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown
Old July 6th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Is he still on Clavamox?

My cats don't like Wellness but do like NV Instinct. Another food to try that all my cats just love is Almo. It is not for long term feeding, but is good for interim or mixed with their canned food. I find it has a lot of moisture in it which will be good for him.

My cats go crazy for the tuna and shrimp, maybe mixing that with his canned will entice him to eat it. Remember, cats eat food based upon smell, not taste so getting a smell that he likes is key to getting him to eat. The cat food companies spray their kibble to make it so very appealing to cats

Even sprinkling the kibble on a piled up bit of canned may get some canned in him.

Good luck and

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Winston,I am glad you found a vet you are comfortable with,it is sometimes half the battle,you have to have a vet you can trust.
You know,dealing with sick animals is just heartbreaking,I had 2 kids who were sick,but at least they can tell you how they feel,with cats you just don't know
My Rocky too,is very skinny,it does not show much on his pics,but you can feel every bone in his spine and he eats very good
Maybe Wellness,is not great if you want your cat to gain weightthat's all my cats eat+treats.

I hope your little Bomber will start eating,I would feed him whatever he likes,even dry food.
Old July 6th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I would give him anything right now...he just doesnt seem interested....The new vet did not care what I gave him...she just wants him to eat....

L4H he is off the Clavamox...last one was yesterday morning....we have to wait for the C&S to come back so she can finally prescribe the right anitbiotic....they wont be back until Friday. I will be letting her know that he hasnt eaten except for the treats we gave him and the little bit off the teaspoon...

Do you think its okay to give him some yogurt to entice him?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

-Unknown