Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 6th, 2004, 12:01 PM

Dog Booties. Is there such a thing?

I live in Alberta, Canada and it gets a wee bit cold here in the winter. I went to take my dog (Cockerspaniel) for a walk last night. We just had a snow fall. Before we made it out of the cul-de-sac she was limping and then walking on only three legs switching legs constantly to try and warm up each foot. Of course I took her stright home.This happened once before when we had our first snowfall, that time she cried and layed down. Im assuming either snow gets jamed in her paw and turns into ice, or the pads of her feet are freezing. Im wondering if there are some booties that we can put on her for walks in the winter or if anyone has any other ideas. I dont want to buy a cheap brand that falls off. Also we have snow from 3-6 months of the year, so I dont think not taking her for walks is an option. I do avoid the extremely cold days though.
thanks
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:03 PM
<-----nut ball

Yeah. There are dog booties. I saw some nice ones at SuperPet. They are also easy to crochet them (and would be washable). I plan to make some for my dog when we get him (or her)
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

There are doggy snow boots you can buy. I've seen them at lots of pet stores, and they usually come with treads, as well. Take a look around, and you should be able to find them. Or just put socks on her feet.
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup. I have dog booties for my dog. She hates them, but they protect her from salt, ice and freezing cold temperatures.

I think they're fantastic, they can run you about 20 -25 dollars... but it beats the cracked paws and horrible salts used during the winter.

Old December 6th, 2004, 12:18 PM

Smile Dog Booties

Funny you ask!!!! I just went to buy some doggy booties for my little Sheltie TODAY!!! He was doing the same thing! You can usually find some a any pet store. There's the "Fashion Pet" Signature Collection ones, that are black, gray and red. They have material on the bottom that makes them sticky! And they're really good they stay on their feet really well and keeps them warm. I paid 15$ for them out here in Montreal.

At first he fought with me while I put them on and he walked REALLY funny once he had them on! Expect a 5 minute fight to get them on but once they're on they'll play outside for hours!!!

Good Luck finding booties!

Joelle
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

sammiec are those MuttLuks? Those are the very best and you can order them from TO.

They are pricey but worth it and without them my dog couldn't go outside in our frigid winters.

Go to Muttluks

They have a printable chart to measure your dog's feet. Just make sure to get the size of the chart correct when you print it off.
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

No those ones I posted a pic of are from a outdoor adventure store. Muttluks are amazing though, the best ones I've seen!
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Shih Tzu Owner

I picked up a set of All Season Muttluks last week for Ariel. She struggles when I put it on her but she doesn't have any problems when she has them on. I think she actually enjoys them. It took her less than 5 mins to get used to it and she was running around the house with no problems.

She seems to enjoy running around with the boots on. Maybe it feels better for her. It's definitely better for me. With her furry feet, i usually have to wash then blow dry her paws after a walk when the sidewalk is wet.
Old December 6th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Boots

Boots became a necessity when we moved to Montreal. The temperatures and salt on the sidewalks were too much for my golden. He loves his Muttluks. They are a bit pricey, but I found them to be the best fit. Walk can be stressful if you spend most of your time looking for lost boots and putting them back on with freezing fingers. He figured out pretty quickly that boots were a good thing and happily accepts them.

I bought much less expensive boots for the mini-doxie (teckel). They are felt "pockets" with a vinyl pad on the bottom, with velcro straps. I could not find Muttluks small enough for him. I put a wool "string" on each pair of boots, so if one does come off, we will not lose it. The mini-doxie also figured out pretty quickly the difference between going outside without protection and with his boots. When I pick up their boots both dogs lie down and give their paws for their boots.

The golden walks around like an 85 pound spastic ballerina on point shoes for a minute or so, but then he is fine.

Both dogs have raincoats too. More for my ease (less dog to dry, less smell of wet dog, hmm ). We have to walk 3 x a day and that freezing rain/snow is particularly nasty.

I would love the crochet pattern for boot too !!
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Thanks for all the input. Too bad I cant crochet, I found muttluks at petsmart for $55......ouch! and it would be the same price to order them from TO. Ill have to stop by there tonight and see what all they have. I know she will appreciate it and it beats cracked paws.

Thanks again!
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:10 PM

The Mutluks are AWSOME!!! Our vet recommended them. We tried some of the cheapie pet store ones, but they didn't stay on Sheriff very well. We found the Mutluks are just fantastic.
We bought them off the internet, they were like $4 cheaper then buying them at Petsmart.
Sheriff too does the "spastic ballerina" or as we call it the "seal walk" as he walks for the first few minutes slapping his paws down (it is sooo funny!!)
We have a winter coat for him too... he looks sooo cute, butour friends call him the "geek dog" on the block!! LOL
He is so not a tough doggie... he's like the kid with the pocket protector, asthma puffer, who spews science!! LOL Oh well, whatever keeps him warm , happy and healthy!!
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Shih-Tzu Mommy

I know the cheapest snow boots are at Zellers for only 5 bucks for 4. I plan to buy my puppy one too.
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:15 PM

I wont chance it then (getting a cheaper brand) Looks like Belle is getting her Christmas present a little early this year.
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriffmom
We have a winter coat for him too... he looks sooo cute, butour friends call him the "geek dog" on the block!! LOL
He is so not a tough doggie... he's like the kid with the pocket protector, asthma puffer, who spews science!! LOL Oh well, whatever keeps him warm , happy and healthy!!
LOL, now picture that on a pit bull. Yeah, she gets a couple looks. But they just don't have enough hair for our freezing cold winters and I feel so darn guilty when I see her sitting there shaking like a popcicle. So she has a fleec jacket and booties!! Those vicious dogs I tell you.
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:39 PM

Winter Boots

Both my dogs have winter boots and coats, and at times I believe if they didn't have them, they would pass up their walks. The cold mornings are the cutest, when the noses go out the door, sniff, get a feeling for how cold it is and turn around until they are bundled up enough to adventure outside.
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:41 PM

My 2 are Pitbull's and they get some very funny stares walking around town all dressed up. The one good thing though, I find not as many people are intimidated by Pit-bulls in jackets, scarves and booties!!
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old December 6th, 2004, 01:49 PM
Shih Tzu Owner

I bought the Muttluks from Global Pet Foods. It was $44 there which is a lot less than PetSmart.
Old December 6th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

You can sometimes find Muttluks on Ebay for very cheap prices, although you may have a hard time finding the right size.

Quote:
Walk can be stressful if you spend most of your time looking for lost boots and putting them back on with freezing fingers
YES. I first bought cheapies and realized this was a false economy. The snow is very deep here and the cheap boots are very short and come off easily.

When I first put Muttluks on Chloe, she always prances like a circus horse - hilarious!

But even though she dislikes having them put on, she is very happy not to freeze her toesies off!

If you order Muttluks, make sure you get the size right. If they are too big you'll have a problem.
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Hi Sarah! Definitely don't skimp on buying booties. Red has the same problem with her paws, and the boots I bought her before were cheap and they tore!!! She hates having them on so we don't unless she's really cold. Then she just does her business and we come home. I hope you find good ones for Belle!!!
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:21 PM

hey guys, since we're on the winter protection for the doggies here, how do I know if my dog needs a jacket of some sort? Odin is definitely getting booties soon, but do we need to get him a jacket as well? He's nine and a half months and 81 pounds now.
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Fitting boots

I would strongly suggest taking your dog to the pet store and trying on the Muttluks or other boots. They are not returnable. Even if you get them less expensively on ebay, do a physical try-on first.

As for coats, etc, depends on the breed, age of the dog and the weather you experience and your motive for using a coat. Even if your breed/weather does not warrant a coat, sometimes it is easier for us (in the wet weather) less dog to dry. Or good to have on hand in case they are sick during the winter and may need the extra protection. Elderly dogs that cannot move too fast, will be out longer in the wet weather and may need the extra protection too.
Old December 6th, 2004, 04:38 PM

I'm a firm believer that if it is too cold outside for me to go out in my pajama's, then it's too cold for my kids to go outside with out their jackets on. I have Pit-bull's, they have next to no fur, they shake when they're cold. My best Friends St. Bernard (bred to be a snow dog) shivers when she's cold to let us know to put on her blanket (for horses). I'm certain it doesn't help since she's getting up there in age. Basically, just pay attention to your dog, and you should be able to tell by their body language, how they are holding up to the cold. If they need a jacket, you'll know.
Another big issue in the winter, Frost Bite, keep and eye on their ears, they freeze very quickly.
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
Old December 6th, 2004, 06:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Last July I sat in front of my computer enviously admiring the beautiful scenery in the photos from Canada. After reading this thread, I'm appreciating the winters here in California! Den-Den's never seen snow!