Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 8th, 2006, 08:31 AM

Crate Training 8 week old Border Collie

Hi all, I am in need of advise.
My Girlfriend and I have recently become parents of a Border Collie X
His name is Brooklyn, we've had him for about a week, and can already tell he is smart as a whip!!
While we will have many challenges moving forward, our first and most concerning is...
Whenever we put him in his crate, whether it is to eat, sleep or when we go out. He cries, barks and screams like a banshee!! It honestly sounds like he is in pain, we've tried to ignore him, but I am sure you can sympathize with us when we feel the need to make sure he hasn't caught his colar on something.
Our vet says his crate should be a happy place, so whenever we give him treats or feed him we put it in his crate.

It's been a full 7 days of gut wrenching sleepless nights.

I guess we just need some assurances that we are doing the right thing?
If not, can you make any other suggestions for crate training?

thank you!
Logan
Old July 8th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

first thing, no----- collars on them in crate!!! too many bad things happen, i myself have 1 in the crate no collar, 2nd thing is a old shirt or sweater with your smell on it so he knows your comming back, you can get a kong at any pet or vet place fill it with pbutter or cookies or chez whiz it will keep him busy, than when you leave try these things and leave tv or radio on, good luck come back and post ho w things are going.
Old July 8th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Where is the crate located? Some dogs need to know that their family is close, so if possible, can you put the crate in your bedroom? Letting your hand hang beside the crate might also help let him know he hasn't been abandoned.

I would also put him in the crate (door open at first) throughout the day - be as matter of fact as possible, "kennel up!" tossing a toy or treat in and letting him get it and then leave. Work up to shutting the door momentarily, and then for increasingly long periods of time. Then briefly leave the room, again working up to longer periods of time. The kong suggestion is a great one, and make sure that he ONLY gets them in the crate.

Best of luck - and however hard it is, please wait until he is quiet before letting him out. If you teach him that "I scream, and I get what I want" you'll be setting yourself up for a lot of sleepless nights.
Old July 9th, 2006, 05:04 AM

Hi Brooklyn's Dad
I would recommend Having him in your bedroom when you sleep at night> if you haven't already-
my boyfriend I got our beagle puppy just over one week ago. We put him in a crate too.

The first night we put him in the room next to our bedroom. It was a sleepless night. It sounded like someone was murdering the poor little boy. From then on we've had the crate in our bedroom so he's close to us. The next couple of nights he cried/barked for about 10 mins then he would settle down. Now he falls asleep with in a bout 1-2 mins...

We've tried to teach him that when he's in the crate it's time for him to sleep...so maybe you shouldn't feed him in there...I'm not very experienced so I don't know if that makes any difference though....
Hope this helps.
Old July 9th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi and good luck with the new addition and great name. First he is still very young so putting the crate in your bedroom is the best place for it. Also a pup during the day should not be in for a long period just short times. The crate should be his safe place. Do not feed him in his crate other than treats. Putting something with your scent on it is a great idea also. There is a formula for time in crate based on age I am not sure what it is but I think it is 1 hour for every month of the dogs age is the max but I am sure someone will post the right formula. I have never crated but have not had the need to yet. Also as stated do not take him out if he is yapping it only reinforces bad behaviour. You will have lots of trying times but all worth it and you get to laugh about it later even though you want to cry when it is happening. Keep us posted on your progress
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Beagle Rescue / CDT

My behaviourist told me exactly the opposite. DO feed him in his crate. Give him treats in his crate, puzzle toys in his crate. Good things happen in his crate. Make sure it is in your bedroom at night and don't leave him in too long during the day, 2-3 hours tops at a time as puppies cannot hold it that long. It won't be too long before he likes it and may use it to escape upsetting situations like company over or thunder. I gave my older dogs crate to the rescue foundation as he wasn't using it anymore and had to go out and buy him a new one when I realized he missed it.
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:21 AM

i have a 13 week old Golden and we feed in the crate as recommended by our breeder. He LOVES it and sleept through the nights within about 7-10 days--in our bedroom & in sight of us) He has quiet time in the day for about an hour (at least once) so he knows it is for other times than bedtime too. He's doing very well and yours will too with patience. Oh and we have used the crate in the car too...and not a peep out of him! YEah! Also, we use a seatbelt when he isn't in the crate. This is my first experience with a seatbelt and I love it & puppy enjoys his car trips!.
Sry got off track there...good luck! The others posted everything i had to say!
Cheers
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:48 PM

Thank you everyone.
We tried most of your suggestions all at once.
I put a t-shirt in his crate, we gave him a kong and played music all night and I am very pleased to say that I had to set my alarm to wake me in order to let him out. We did not hear a peep out of him all night!
It was only 1 night, but it was definitely a relief. Thank you all soooo much!!

Brooklyn thanks you too!
Old July 11th, 2006, 09:15 PM
Senior Contributor

so glad i was able to pass on my info to you, i have 4 min pins and that is what i learned, it make sleeping soooo much better good luck we need pictures.