Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old December 13th, 2008, 08:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Talking Tale of a red-tail...

Okay, pictures first so that if you just like hawks, you can feast your eyes. Her story will follow for anyone interested in the strange dining habits of hawks...

Name:  Camera 036.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  Camera 038.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  Camera 040.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  43.8 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:37 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Name:  Camera 046.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  43.3 KB

Name:  Camera 048.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  41.3 KB

Name:  Camera 058.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  44.5 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

AWwwwww he looks like a youngin
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG Hazel she is stunning!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:40 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Name:  Camera 060.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  Camera 061.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  Camera 063.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  38.2 KB

Old December 13th, 2008, 08:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Name:  Camera 064.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  Camera 067.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  Camera 068.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  50.6 KB

Old December 13th, 2008, 09:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I got a call from a neighbor that there was a raptor allowing them to approach close enough for Russ to throw a towel over it and pick it up. So I brought a kitty-carrier and a towel and the camera (of course ) and went to check it out.

It was a young hawk, probably female from the large size, seemed pretty healthy but didn't snap, didn't squawk, didn't fly much--although when I first got there, she flew about a hundred feet and landed low in a tree. Had no problem gripping the branch.

Russ's theory was that the bird had eaten too much and was too stuffed to fly. Turned out to be right on the money!

First year birds often have a rough time of it after Mom stops feeding them. This one just happened upon the neighbors who could supply it with free meals--they butcher their own meat...they did a steer last week, they've been doing deer all season (bow and gun), and they're doing a pig today. They put the offal out for the wildlife...and Ms Hawk here, or "Dove" as I called her because she was so docile , found the offal pile. She is literally too stuffed to move.

Just to be sure, I made sure her pupils were normal, handled her wings a bit to make sure they were intact, checked her breathing, checked for wounds...nothing out of the ordinary. I would have checked her keel for fat, but somehow, getting fingers in front of the beak was just a tad intimidating to hazel.

Anyway, I hope she catches on to the fact that food isn't always so plentiful. She's gonna need to start chasing bunnies and catching her own soon...

Although it kept me from being productive at home this afternoon, I must say it was an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.

Just thought I'd spread the wealth with a few pics...

Old December 13th, 2008, 09:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
OMG Hazel she is stunning!
She was a beauty, that's for sure!

I used to help band hawks when I was in college--well, I'd pay for the gas and they let me come along and hold the birds, anyway. Brought back some good memories seeing this one so close up... and believe me, senile ol' hazel cherishes any memories she has left!

Old December 13th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Senior Contributor

ohhhh wow hazel ... That is sooo cool. I figured youngin & no "red tail" but wow POOFY on the head. LOL

How big was her wing span do you figure?

& lucky lady getting fed yummy food
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Hazel that could be such a great experience! I am hoping one of these years I will be able to attend one of the falcon bandings from here in town! She certainly is gorgeous.....What a way to spend the afternoon! Do you ever go out bird watching?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Doggie Wench

Looks like she was modeling for you in the last set of photos . What a beautiful creature!

So, have you got her tucked into your sweater yet ?
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondsmum View Post
ohhhh wow hazel ... That is sooo cool. I figured youngin & no "red tail" but wow POOFY on the head. LOL

She was a bit uneasy with us being so close--she was ruffled. Normally, the feathers lie flatter and they look sleeker. Well, plus she had a crop full of nummies, so she looks fatter than the norm, too.

How big was her wing span do you figure?

Wing span was probably pretty darn close to 4 ft...so what? About 1.25 m?

& lucky lady getting fed yummy food
Yum. Intestines... She looked pretty smug about it till she realized we were gonna make her pose for pics. Then she just got ticked cuz she couldn't fly just then and thwart us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Do you ever go out bird watching?

All spring, almost constantly during the migration; when I have time during the fall migration; during nesting season; and during winter. Otherwise, not much. I have my binoculars at hand all the time. This spring was a good one--the last few had been so warm that the trees leafed out quickly. I got very good at identifying birds by song. This spring was cold enough so I could actually see what was singing for a change!

Do you go bird watching? I know you watch the falcons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Looks like she was modeling for you in the last set of photos . What a beautiful creature!

So, have you got her tucked into your sweater yet ?
Oh, yes--she's a good snuggler. NOT!! But she's very beautiful and if I could snuggle her, I sure would....

Old December 13th, 2008, 09:34 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

omg, i'm sooo jealous she is absolutely beautiful...
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I was gonna list her as my new foster... Although I must say I wouldn't mind having her spend some time here... I'll bet she could handle the Pack pretty well, too.

Old December 13th, 2008, 09:39 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I was gonna list her as my new foster... Although I must say I wouldn't mind having her spend some time here... I'll bet she could handle the Pack pretty well, too.
hmmm that might not be a good thing, vet bills might go up, doggie eyes are kinda shiny..
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
hmmm that might not be a good thing, vet bills might go up, doggie eyes are kinda shiny..

Okay, so maybe Dove would have to roost out in the kennel building instead of on the back of the couch.... I'd settle for that, too! Less guano in the house that way, too.

Old December 13th, 2008, 09:43 PM
-

oh meant to say excellent photography too, is that with the kodak?
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
oh meant to say excellent photography too, is that with the kodak?
Yep!

It's much easier to get good shots when you can get within touching distance.

Old December 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wonderful pics Hazel. Thanks for sharing!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Any time I get such an opportunity, you can bet I'll share!

hazel can't contain herself under such circumstances

Old December 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM
-

Wow that is a wicked bird Hazel !

But do you think it's bad for her that the neighbors are feeding her ? What if she becomes too domesticated ? :sad:
Old December 13th, 2008, 10:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Won't be a problem. They aren't hand-feeding--she's picking the stuff up on her own. Birds of that age don't imprint on humans anymore.

She let us get that close simply because she stuffed herself so full she literally couldn't take off. She wasn't particularly happy with the situation. next time she'll get herself up higher in a tree to avoid them pesky humans...

Old December 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Hazel,WOW what a great experience,she is absolutely stunning,love her poofy head
The Hawks are coming back here again every day,but unfortunately I could never get that close.
The excitment never wanes though,whenever I watch one..
Beautiful pics
Old December 14th, 2008, 10:10 AM

Wow! What a glorious treat to be able to get so close! And I agree, she was modelling for you - just being a grump about it! What sentient creature doesn't love to be adored!

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs
Old December 14th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Ohhh what an exciting day you had yesterday, Hazel, I am so envious. The pics are beautiful.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 14th, 2008, 01:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Hectic day today, though, cuz now I'm trying to get all the stuff done that I didn't do yesterday!

I don't think she was too thrilled with us being so close--that's part of why her head looks so poofy, chico--she was ruffling her feathers so she looked big and intimidating to us. It didn't, of course, work And that made her very grumpy.

She was gone this morning--so she must have headed off for a place where the neighbors aren't so nosy.

Old December 14th, 2008, 04:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, those pictures are so amazing... if it wasn't you posting I might have been a bit leary of some kind of set up

What an amazing experience!

Life at Hazel run is never dull

I saw a bald eagle up close and personal once (sorry, no camera) it was on a beach, I think the same think had happened now that I read your story, maybe it was too full to fly, it just kept running around (well more like slowly staggering) where there was a whole bunch of dead fish on the beach (broken fishing net we figured). We couldn't figure out what was wrong and weren't going to be as daring as you and come up close to it (they are HUGE!!!!!)
We camped near by and came back to check on it once in a while, by morning, same thing, it was just gone.
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old December 14th, 2008, 04:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It was actually the woman at the White Pines Wildlife Rehabilitation Center that told me about them gorging themselves. I'd seen eagles gorging themselves on dead deer before, but they were still able to fly off the carcass, and it doesn't seem like the smartest thing in the world, stuffing yourself so full you can't escape from danger. So I just never thought they'd do such a thing. Russ figured it out pretty quick, though--and had me convinced when I saw the offal pile it had been cleaning up. Then June from WPWRC confirmed it...evidently it happens not too infrequently. Go figure.

Old December 14th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Silly birds... a hooman would never do anything like that - but wait, isn't that what we do at thanksgiving

I've also heard that osprey will sometimes pick up fish that are too big to carry (in their tallons) and they will drown cause they fall back into the water and don't let go of the fish (they can't release their tallons or something like that )
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Oh, wow! I never knew that either...about ospreys, I mean.

And yes, I think that if she had pants on she would have undone the waist button and belched. Just like at Thanksgiving...

Tags
red-tailed hawk