Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM

Piddling when people come over?????

My hubby rescued a beagle,10 month old female,who has become our second dog.The problem is when people come over she growls at them,when they call her over and bend down she sort of cowers to them and then pee's on the floor.How can we stop this as she does this everytime and to every person.We dont know to much of her background other than she was hit with a fly swatter and broom alot and is very thin.When she gets to know you after a half hour or so she is fine(help)
Old January 16th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Senior Contributor

You have your hands full with your two dogs. But don't despair!

Your beagle sounds like she is doing "submissive urination" because she is fearful. She has no control over this and it's not a housetraining problem so never scold her for it. Just ignore the peeing.

Quote:
when they call her over and bend down she sort of cowers to them and then pee's on the floor.
Do not let anyone bend over her. This makes the problem worse. Instruct your guests to completely ignore her - not even make eye contact or look at her. Give them some treats and if she approaches them as they are sitting, have them toss the treats to her without looking at her. If she comes to them for petting, ask them to pet her under the chin or on the chest since hands coming down over her head are intimidating. She'll learn that people not only will not hurt her, but will give her good things and she'll decide not to be afraid anymore.

For your Lab with the severe separation anxiety - it sounds bad enough that she might need medication like Clomicalm.
Here's a bunch of links on help with SA.
http://www.wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/dbfear.htm

You might also want to join this group dealing with this problem. I'm sure you could get lots of good advice there.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/k9sepanx/join

And THANK you for taking these poor dogs in. Without you, they probably would have no chance. Love, patience and consistancy is the best gift you can give them!!!
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM
-

Most puppies will grow out of it. It doesn't have to be caused by fear but may be excitement but in this case I agree that it is. I would get her enrolled into classes and bring her whenever you can. The more socializing the better.

Last edited by StaceyB; January 17th, 2006 at 10:26 AM.
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

The one thing that concerns me is the growling. It really indicates fear and should be dealt with.
She needs to know that she is always safe in this world - the growling is too keep people away. Trusting in your leadership will help with this fear. I would put her on a leash when you know people are coming and help guide her through the whole thing. Teach her how to greet people, don't force her to say hello until she is ready but don't permit the growling either. Have her on the lesh (ultimate control for you) and give her jobs to do like sit/stay in an area slightly away from the entryway and make sure to correct her for the growling (not too intensely), but give her lots of chances to do better. You greet the person first in a happy tone and then make sure she is behaving before you permit the person to squat down and softly greet her. Don't stop the whole greeting scene until she has stopped growling and looks relaxed. In fact repeat it in the moment as much as possible so she understands what is expected of her.
This may not stop the peeing right away but it will help to build her confidence and gradually the peeing will cease.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old January 17th, 2006, 10:12 PM

thanks for the advise,I think I did sign up with the right group.I will keep you informed how she is doing
Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:25 PM

Frimousse has stopped peeing and growling now,she knows she is at home now,Now to start training her (oh boy)