Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 15th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Exclamation Dog distressed and drooling

I have a two year old Pomeranian that has recently had several bouts of drooling. Once in the past we were running in the heat (above 85 degrees) and she started to stagger and drool. We wet her down and it eventually stopped. On contacting the vet, we where told that it was probably heat related and not to let her exert herself in the heat (easier said then done). She had another attack while she wasn’t exercising, we took her to the vet and they didn’t detect anything (x ray, blood test). The drooling had already stopped by the time we got there. She had another one this morning. During the last two she had tried to hide somewhere dark and is obviously distressed. I am very worried. Is it life threatening? Is this epilepsy? Do I need to get her to the vet while she is still having the attack? (Currently it is a 45 minute drive to the vet).
Old December 15th, 2004, 01:15 PM

Poor Baby, I'd do my best to get her to the Vet during an attack, which is easier said then done. The vet may have a better idea what you're dealing with if he gets to see first hand. If you feel that there is actually something wrong with your baby that your current Vet does not detect, I'd get a second opinion. :sad: I always say that my Vet is the best, but, if I felt there was something he was missing, I would not think twice about getting the kids to see another doctor. Good luck, hope your baby is alright
2 Medium Haired All Black Cats:
Robert Age 1 1/2
Mango Age 2 1/2
"PIT-BULLS ARE LIKE POTATO CHIPS......YOU CAN NEVER HAVE JUST ONE"
Old December 15th, 2004, 01:23 PM
<-----nut ball

Do you have a video camera? That might be the best way to show the doctor what happens when there is an attack.

If you don't have one, borrow one.
Old December 15th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

good idea

That's a really good idea Raingirl. Very inventive. Bravo.
Old December 15th, 2004, 04:48 PM

Her current doctor seems really good, hence the 45 minute drive. I think the very next time, I'm going to scoop her up and take her to the vet down the street.

The video idea is brilliant. Why didn’t I think of that? It sure pays to post.

Thanks for the tips.
Old December 15th, 2004, 06:29 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

This could be neurological.....the video idea is great but I would feel better with a closer vet also. Maybe the vet should keep her for a while for observation. These episodes do not resemble a seizure to me. (unless the mildest of all) The frequency of these episodes sounds my alarm. An endocrine imbalance could be the culprit also.

Please keep us updated..
Old December 15th, 2004, 08:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a poodle with epilepsy. He would drool following a seizure when he would stiffen and seem unable to control his movements. I found his seizures would lessen in severity if I remained calm. I would carry him around the yard and talk to him like "Is there a kitty out here? Not over here. Is there a kitty over there? No, no kitty" Dumb stuff but a topic he was interested in and held his attention. Even though he was having a seizure, he would look in the direction I pointed out and show interest. When he started to drool, I knew he was coming out of it. I carried a small towel on my arm. Over time, his seizures occurred less frequently and were milder. If people around me got excited, they were worse. He didn't require medication. He lived to be 18 and the last several years was seizure free. My point in relating this is to reassure you that if it is epilepsy, it's not the end of the world and staying calm may, in fact, help your puppy. My guy had his first seizure at 2 yrs of age and I've read that is pretty usual. It sounds like your little guy became frightened and tried to hide. He doesn't understand what's going on.
Old December 16th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Karin,
These bouts come on a weekly basis (thats what I meant by recent) and leaving her with the vet for more than a couple of hours is unacceptable to her.
I think the quick run down the street is my next move.

glasslass,
The last bout I crawled into the closet with her and held her head while she drooled. It seemed to calm her down (not me). If this is harmless, then I can certainly adapt. I just don't want to harm her through action or inaction.