Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM

We just had this happen for the first time this morning. Our 2 year old male American Bulldog woke up with his head shaking gently back and forth. It lasted only a few seconds and he was alert and responsive during the time. It stopped when we got up and moved around with him. He has recently (1 week ago) taken a new brand of Heartguard, he does have food sensitivity and he has been dealing with an ear infection that has recently just gone away. So all of these things could be the cause. Thank you so much for all of your help on here. I have plenty of things I can bring to the vet when I go in today to get my other dog vaccinated. It just is very odd to see that so many of you have the same situations and with similar bully dogs like bulldogs, pitts and boxers.
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Bulldog head tremors

Our 9 month old english bulldog out of no where came down with a few bouts of these head tremors last night. My vet said to just watch her if they happen again. The only thing that has changed about her routine is our swithcing to Frontline, which was just applied to her 2 days ago. It was horrifying to see her little head shake like that. I took her out to pee and her head just kept shaking while she went. It didn't seem to effect her as other people have said. I am definetly staying away from Frontline and going back to Revolution which she had no problems with.
Old October 6th, 2009, 10:04 AM

Boxer and headshaking

We have recently noticed the same problem with our white Boxer. She's a couple years old, and has never done this before - till the other day.

Its only her head that shakes, and she is still aware, walks around, sits on command, etc. - as if nothing is wrong and has no idea her head is trembling so. It lasts maybe a couple minutes and then goes away. She is on no medication, has had no recent shots, nor has she been on any flea preventative. Also, she is primarily an inside dog.

It happened once upon waking in the morning, again the next day... and a few days later (today) around noon.

We had a mastiff not too long ago diagnosed with diabetes and who had occasional seizures, so we're looking into the possibilities of either.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Boxer Heading Shaking

Similary as explained above, my 5 year old Boxer just did this last night for the first time. I read everyone's posts and I realized that for the last 2 months we have been giving out dog Advantage. We used to give it to him as a puppy and stopped because he never got fleas again. 2 months ago we noticed them so started him on Advantage. I see that Frontline may be a culprit, but I'd like to know what others find out.
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Well my girl Halo still has these tremors on occasion, albeit very rarely. We have put it down to being Idiopathic Head Tremors. In other words, head tremors with no real explanation. She hasn't had shots other than rabies lately and I don't touch any of the flea products - ever. So that's where we sit with out head tremors, you can throw that at your vets and see what they have to say. Good luck to you guys, it is so sad to see them shaking their heads isn't it, but at least it doesn't really seem to cause any trauma.
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:50 PM

My dog is drooling and has the head shakes...please help.

Hello.
I am new here and I appreciate somewhere to go to talk about our pets. My 4 1/2 year old puppy out of the blue started to have head bobbling and body kind of doing the same thing like he has Parkinson's. He is drooling as well..and looks sad like. I am concerned...this just happened out of the blue. He still will try to eat but wants to relax right now. He still has the bobs with his head and drooling out his mouth. Can anyone tell me what this is and what I can do to help him? Is having a seizure? I can talk to him and he seems to what to be attentive. He eats good food and generally a very healthy dog. He was fine all day but now this happened out of the blue. Please help me. Thank you all so very much. :-)

Marie
Old November 7th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Doggie Wench

Hello Marie. The only time I've seen something similar to what you're describing, it was canine vestibular disease. Only your vet can give a diagnosis and treatment so I recommend you get your pup seen asap.

to you and + that Zech is better soon. Let us know what's happening, ok?
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:13 AM

Hi all....thank you so much for answering so quickly. He is still walking and running a bit around. Tail wagging and looks a bit more alert. But I am still concerned about his body and head kind of trembly but doing much better. I am going to take him to the vet and see what is wrong. It has been so windy and cold here but he loves being outside whenever he goes out in the yard. Could he have a ear infection from the cold wind? I will do some research on canine vestibular disease. Thank you. :-) This is so scarey...he is my little man...I hope that it is something we can help him with. Hugs to you all. :-)

Marie
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Doggie Wench

I don't think cold wind can cause an infection...bacteria or yeast is more likely the culprit if that were the case. How do his ears look?

I can understand your worry . Let's just hope its something minor until the vet can confirm for sure .
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:24 AM

You are probably right. His ears look fine but he still looks kind of dopey (tired) and the drooling seems to have slowed down or have stopped. I have him sitting on my lap but he is still a little shaky/tiny spasmodic twitches . Thank you. :-)

Marie

Last edited by blumyst; November 8th, 2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old December 30th, 2009, 02:57 PM

Question

My sweet little 2 year old BOXER started doing the head shaking thing exactly as it has been described on here. i can't really relate it to any medications or anything. She did it only for the second time today and it was a few hours after i put a flea spray on her. For both instances that she has had the head-shakes, she had just gotten out of bed or was still in bed. She curles up in a ball and boxers and bulls (which seems to be the ones this is affecting) have large necks...has anyone considered that maybe it is a muscular thing? like a spasm?
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:40 PM

my 2 yo pure bred boxer has period when his head shakes side to side.. will last 3-5 minutes but will stop sooner if we give him something to eat.
Im a Neuro ICU Nurse and it doesnt appeaar to be a siezure. he can walk and follow commands while it is happening.. ANY IDEAS?????
Old January 8th, 2010, 07:11 AM

4-5 year old Mix

My dog has just started to jerk when trying to relax. It jerks his whole body, and it only happens when he's trying to sleep or just lay and relax. You can see it happening too. He is fully aware of his surrounding and it’s not a full seizure or anything. He will move and try to get into another position but as soon as he starts to relax his whole body will jerk, like if he had the hiccups. I think he tries to stop it by trying to lie down and tighten his muscles because I can come pet him and he will be tight all over. But he can't sleep like that.
Old January 29th, 2010, 12:54 PM

Boxer and English Bulldog Head Shakes

Hello Everyone,

I see there is alot of discussion on dogs heads shaking back and forth (like parkinsons). I've had alot of experience with this with my bulldog and boxer. When your vet can rule out epilepsy (different type of shakes) try checking the "Blood Brain Barrier" with your vet. It's not a serious condition and nothing to get very worried about. It usually will go away when the dogs attention is turned towards something else - this may sound strange but try giving your dog a cookie (dog biscuit) or a bone to chew and it will stop as soon as the dogs attention is turned to something else. The first time I saw it I was shocked but after the vet explained to me why it was happening and that it wasn't anything to worry about we relaxed and so did the dogs. They pick up on everything we react to so the best reaction is no reaction and give your dog a cookie and it will go away. When there are no cookies in sight you can try giving them water or even sticking your finger in the side of their mouth will make them stop because their attention gets turned to something else - hope this helps (I hate seeing anything wrong with our beloved pets!)
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:49 PM

same problem with KD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Raingirl posted a thread about this some time ago and I had answered that my 5 year old labX Halo shakes her head like Odin does. It's sort of a gentle side to side shaking (like they're saying no no no). We'd both had the dogs to the vet (possible epilepsy) but the seizures (for lack of a better word) were very rare. Halo has had several of these seizures in the past week, they are very short in duration (30-40 seconds) with no other apparent afflictions. She can walk, and comes to see me. Normally she's sleeping or laying down whent hey occur, but the last one she was just standing in the kitchen visiting. I will be taking her back to the vet on the weekend, but I'm not sure what to expect. Chances something would happen while there are slim to none. Could this in any way be related to her multiple food allergies would you think?? It concerns me that she may be having these episodes during the night when I'm not aware of it and therefore don't actually know how often they happen.

So if it is epilepsy how would they test for that? Is it blood work or do they have to do Xrays to look for leisions or something? Just curious what I'm in for? Tks.
Dog Dancer - Yesterday my two year old golden retriever KD was lying on her back and her head began to shake seemingly while she was sleeping - I thought she was dreaming but when I tried to bring her around she continued shaking just like you said like she was saying no, no - even when she sat up she was doing it and looked a little out of it - I panicked and took her to the vet. Blood work came back all good. Just a few minutes ago she did the same thing, again while lying on her back. I read your thread and I think you said it turned out to be low blood sugar - was that you (sorry, I forgot)? I am freaking out now because I am retired and spend 17 hours a day with my two girls so I am very close to them as no doubt most others on this forum are. Anyone, please I am so afraid of losing her to some stupid disease. They are sisters and the mother died at birth (the only two in the litter so we took them both) the mother was six years old and the breeder said she did not know why she died - I was assuming it was because she had three litters in 6 years but now I'm wondering. thank you all - anyone?
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:57 PM

two year old golden retriever

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjboy View Post
My sweet little 2 year old BOXER started doing the head shaking thing exactly as it has been described on here. i can't really relate it to any medications or anything. She did it only for the second time today and it was a few hours after i put a flea spray on her. For both instances that she has had the head-shakes, she had just gotten out of bed or was still in bed. She curles up in a ball and boxers and bulls (which seems to be the ones this is affecting) have large necks...has anyone considered that maybe it is a muscular thing? like a spasm?
Hi, I read this thread because my two year old golden retriever just started doing the same thing yesterday and today again. Both times while lying on her back getting petted. she is very slight for a bigger dog, not very strong so I don't know about bull dogs but if it s the same thing she doesn't have a thick neck. I am very concerned and scared it may be the start of something serious.
Old June 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, kd&karmadad. I'm sorry you're going through such a scary time!

Do you have a video camera? Videotaping an episode to show your vet may help in diagnosing what's wrong with KD.

Also, if you don't get many replies you might want to start a new thread in the health forum. Sometimes members don't check the older threads. If you do start a new thread, be sure to make the title descriptive

I hope it's nothing serious and KD is better soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier KD. I hope your dog is doing better. My lab X does still shake her head, she's 9 now, and it doesn't seem to have any ill effect on her. It seems that it may be called Idiopathic Head Tremors. We did think for a while it may be blood sugar related, but have decided that's not likely it at all. It just seems random. It does not seem to be all that uncommon, I've seen several people mention their dogs doing the same type thing. Honestly, if the vet has ruled out any serious health issues I would try to relax about it. Just calm the dog when it happens, although my Halo just wants a hug after it happens to her. It seems to cluster sometimes too. She might have it happen two or three times in a week and then nothing (that I see) for a year. Hope this info gives you a bit of peace of mind.
Old August 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM

Dog Dancer!!!!
I have a chocolate Lab who is almost three years old. His head is doing the exact thing as you described with you dog. He only does it at night when he is laying down. The best way I can describe it is like the boble head from KFC. No other apparent symptoms are noticable. He is still very active and eats. I am very worried about him but my vet told me not to be to concerned and this happened sometimes with Dobermans, but less frequently with Labs. I am not very familiar with this program but my e-mail is [personal email address edited out]. Possibly you could e-mail me with possible solutions, if you have come up with any.
I hope I hear from you.
Courtney

Last edited by Blackbear; August 13th, 2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Edited out personal email--please contact member by PM
Old November 21st, 2010, 08:20 AM

Lightbulb My bulldog and her seizures

I have an american bulldog who just had her first heat cycle. She then started shaking her head back and forth as if saying no. I looked everywhere online and stumbled across a study being done. It seems to be a type of seizures common in bulldogs, boxers, and dobermans, but can also occur in other breeds, its just more common in these three. The theory is that when they reach their first heat cycle or any kind of physical stressor these seizures can start. I double checked with my vet and he said to try what they said and if it didnt work to bring my sage in. I tried it and within one minute no more seizures... I am going to further follow their advice and also be in their study. I have to tell you its like watching your child go through this. I was so scared but now that I know she isnt in pain when it happens it makes it a lot easier to deal with. Its amazing what some karo syrup and daily doses of calcium can do. I am just glad this type is so easy to control I know that a lot of types arent. grouphug:

Last edited by Blackbear; November 21st, 2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old November 16th, 2015, 09:39 PM

I could not find where you talked about the karo syrup and calcium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymamtoo View Post
I have an american bulldog who just had her first heat cycle. She then started shaking her head back and forth as if saying no. I looked everywhere online and stumbled across a study being done. It seems to be a type of seizures common in bulldogs, boxers, and dobermans, but can also occur in other breeds, its just more common in these three. The theory is that when they reach their first heat cycle or any kind of physical stressor these seizures can start. I double checked with my vet and he said to try what they said and if it didnt work to bring my sage in. I tried it and within one minute no more seizures... I am going to further follow their advice and also be in their study. I have to tell you its like watching your child go through this. I was so scared but now that I know she isnt in pain when it happens it makes it a lot easier to deal with. Its amazing what some karo syrup and daily doses of calcium can do. I am just glad this type is so easy to control I know that a lot of types arent. grouphug:

what did the dr say to do with the karo syrup and calcium?