Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 13th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

How protective of you are your dogs?

I know Kita doesnt like when men come up to me and talk, she stands between us and keeps a close eye on him, women shes fine with though,
I dont think Meik would protect me much, He would get so distracted by a stick or something that needed herding.
Puppy makes this horrible deep growl when ANYONE comes near me in public, not to mention the fit he would throw if someone approached the car before.

Just wondering how protective of you your dogs are.
(not vicious protective, but how close of an eye do they keep out for you?)
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Honest Contributor

i could be laying on the sidewalk being beaten to a pulp by thugs and my boy would be off sniffing the fire hydrant and marking every building corner he could find, my girl would run hide under a staircase and just stare! they're both completely useless! sigh.

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old June 13th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Senior Contributor

All three of mine are very protective. Kind of scary how much they protect. They don't always listen to when I say it is ok. I hope they never have to really protect me.

We just found out Simon (new guy to the family) is protective. Roomie takes him with her on her journeys from NC (USA) to upstate NY. On the May trip, she stopped for a break to walk Simon. They walked near a dumpster and this guy stepped out. She said Simon immediately got between her and the guy, had his hackles raised and barked. She was amazed and grateful.

After they went by, he (Simon) was fine.

Long ago, I had a poodle mix protect me, lol. He was traveling with me and sleeping on the floorboard. I was pulled over for driving a bit too fast. When the officer approached my window, Toby emerged from the dark floorboard, barking aggressively. He startled the officer so much that I only received a warning, LOL. As he walked away he said, "what do you have in there, ma'am, a bear?" LOL

Diane
Old June 13th, 2006, 10:13 PM

My dogs hate people that either have their faces covered or partially covered or are sneaking around. Jemma is the alerter/scarer and Boo is the back-up.

I thought they were useless too until a freakhead tried to sneak behind me at Mount Royal park and Jemma, who was off leash, let him have it. She was a foot away from him doing her teethy robber bark. He ended up on the ground in the fetal position. That'll teach that guy not to sneak around a girl with two black doggies.
Old June 13th, 2006, 11:58 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

Melei is very protective of me if someone she doesn't know tries to touch me. I am not sure what she figures she is going to do though. She isn't big enough to scare anyone lol.
It was hilarious the first time my brother came over after we had her for a bit and when he tried to hug me, this little mop with legs came flying off the couch barking at him. You should have seen his face!
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok, my kids thought it was cute some months ago, that my little Rusty gets so agitated when they tickle me and such. So cute, in fact, that they encouraged him to do it.

Which means that now, if they want to wake me up in the morning, or even just sit on the edge of my bed, the Rustinator tries to eat them!

This is not a behaviour that I have encouraged. I am really trying to break him of it. Actually, I need to break my 18 year old daughter of encouraging it!

So, yeah, I think that if someone broke into my house and attacked me, Rusty would defend me to his dying breath. I am not sure how much good that will do me though - the little guy weighs all of 9 pounds.
Old June 14th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I'm not sure what Jesse would do. Sometimes I think she would be a good protector other times I think she would just sit there and lick the person. If she is scared of something outside she won't even go to the window by herself, we have to accompany her to look. When she was bit on the nose by the JRT, she cowered shook and hid behind me. But then there are times that she will hear noises outside that don't scare her and she is right there letting whatever it is have it. Like when it thunders, she runs from window to window barking at the intruder. I really have no idea what she would do. I guess it would depend on how lazy she is for that day.
Old June 14th, 2006, 06:00 AM

Maia, from the time that she was 9 weeks old, has guarded Sam and I from everything. She gets herself between us and the 'intruder', stands completely straight (in a 'stack') and has a very low growl if anyone dares approach us. She also does not listen when I say it's ok. She barks if the person doesn't 'obey' her warning growl. I need to put her behind me for her to relax a bit, and even then sometimes she doesn't. If the person gets down to her level, Maia will go over and kiss them. She never lets people approach her, however.

Sam is weird. In the park, or on walks, he doesn't act protective at all, wants to meet everyone. In the car and at home, he barks at certain people, and others he doesn't. Both dogs hate noisy people, bouncy people and people who wear hats/cover their faces, people in baggy clothing. Sometimes they take an instant dislike to a person and there's nothing I can do to convince them that the person is ok. If this happens in the house, they'll go and lie down and stop barking/growling, but their eyes never leave the person until they are gone.

Sam also guards me against my husband! If he hugs me, Sam barks and tries to split us up!
Old June 14th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Senior Contributor

When I first got Bud he would have turned and run the other way is someone threatened me. But I have noticed how much more posturing he does when we are approached on the street by men (especially) he will get between us. But I feel if someone went after me they would be wearing a 160 pounds of dog. He is still has some fear but he is comfortable and feels secure with me as I do with him. Thankfully his size tends to intimidate most would be attackers, because aren't criminals just insecure and stupid and most will not bother you when you have a dog with you.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:18 AM

I agree Mastofflover, criminals are less likely to bother if you have a dog!

Many people have told me that taz looks intimidating when they first meet him and cannot beleive he is so pleasent. I definately feel a lot safer with him there. Whe I first got him he would cower away from anyone who came near but now if im in the park and someone (male) walks up behind me and i havnt noticed he does start barking - whilst running backwards. he also does this to the milkman, postman, or anyone who comes up the driveway, luckily they are all used to him and laugh it off! Although I think if an intruder came in the house and i was not there he would probably show him the valubles and make a dash for his hiding place ( in the cupboard under the stairs )

i definately feel safer (being female and living on my own) with taz around and i hope i never have to find out whether he coud protect me or not!!
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:25 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Peaches is the vocal one of the two and will stand between me and anyone else if she feels a threat while growling, but Simon is the more likely to get physically aggressive. Interestingly enough, I've had to rethink my "nonmorning person" behaviours since if I don't say good morning to someone on our walks, both will immediately move into defensive posturing as though we're in danger.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Senior Contributor

With some dogs, it's impossible to know if they will protect you until the situation arises - and we all hope it won't!

My Chloe should have been named Jezabel. She is a total tart who can be had by anyone who looks at her and has nearly pulled my arm off trying to get to total strangers if they as much as make eye contact with her.

Anyone coming to my door is greeted with moans of ecstasy and a wiggle butt frenzy and she would knock me down to get to them.

Dogs know when a threat is real. I have no idea if she would protect me, or run and cower under a table and I don't want to find out.
Old June 14th, 2006, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

My Eskimo is very vocal. The breed is really an Alert rather than Protect and Alert (no one messed with me when my 10 lb. Alpha Dachshunds were with me). I hate it when joggers soundlessly run up right behind us - particularly when I am picking up Eskie's business or when kids (and adults) on bicycles or skateboards almost knock us down and then of course the people who decide they are going to pet my dog even though he is barking his head off, huge teeth flashing - 24 lb. dog but you can't miss those teeth. Never has snarled though. I think he would go after someone if he felt I was threatened - by association - a threat to me is a threat to him - and I have to take care of him - very concerned about himself! - but this is a worry to me as I try to take him for a walk, particularly at night. My husband has been away for past 5 nights and I don't like the 11:00 p.m. walks - or the 5:00 a.m. walks when his "clock" goes off. Very strange things go on in the early a.m. and late at night - all of which will set him off and truthfully I can't blame him. The neighbours though - whose dogs are left to bark constantly in the back yards do though. My guy is always on leash. He is also - at age 2 - taking private NON TREAT lessons to help us get down the street and avoid the barkers. They are not his business as I pointed out to him as he actually started to listen while other dogs barked incessantly - pointing out the obvious to me - but not to the offending dog barkers' owners. I guess in today's very litigious society I worry about someone pulling my dog's ears or doing something and then claiming he bit them - absence of any skin abrasions not being part of the picture. Somewhat ironic though that I can pet any dog, any time, any place - they will actually pull their unwilling owners over to me. I do know how to approach a strange dog, but have never had to exercise any sort of caution - although I do initially. This no doubt will be my undoing.
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Tucker is only protective of our home. anyone walking by our home, anyone that knocks on the door, anyone who pulls up, any stranger or strange animal in the vacinty of our home sets off Tucker's balistic "I-WILL-EAT-YOU" type growling and carrying on. for goodness sake, he once "protected" me all night from his own reflection in the mirror. literally, he layed ON me, and let out a low evil growl all night as he looked at HIMSELF in the full length mirror in my bedroom. (totally rediculous)

but, if we're out walking in the dark, and he hears a noise, he hides behind me. ya, Tucker is a big tough guy INSIDE the house, but out in the real world... he's a wuss and I end up doing all the "protecting".
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Senior Contributor

THe question in the heading had me confused till I read your post and understood what you were asking.

Maya is the run and hide girl, if someone knocks on the door she is already running for the bedroom, the biggest danger from Sunny is getting whipped from his tail or being bowled over when he leans on you to be petted, Nikki is all mouth, she is the protector in voice only, she sounds as vicious as heck and will charge toward someone when she gets to them will sit on their feet, but as soon as they move toward her she will back off and hightail it still barking and growling, her behaviour would be enough to scare possible intruders that don't know her even thought she is only 26 lbs, out on walks she does not behave that way she is friendly though sometimes shy with people.
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Of my two Shadow is quiet but always alert. Like Prin's neither of them like it if they can't see a person's face, so winter is tough when people have hats pulled down. Shadow will stare you down with hardly a sound if she gets a bad vibe from you - but I will feel the growl in her throat up through the leash. Halo will pick up Shadows vibe and bark. They have both done the protective thing when I've been approached on the street by men they don't know. I actually had to tell one fellow he had come close enough because it was dark and they didn't know him. (I later ended up dating him for a while - I should have picked up on the fact that they didn't trust him up front - but once I invited him in they were fine with him.) Shadow does not trust street people at all and will growl if they approach us, and she has a sixth sense about the drug people down the road and won't take her eyes off of them if they pass us on the street - she'll actually turn and walk backwards to see them off down the road. Halo is a follower but not terribly brave, however, being such a follower if Shadow had to attack (which I'm sure she would if the situation called for it) Halo would jump in with her. Unfortunately, then they'd probably end up chewing on each other
Old June 14th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
But I feel if someone went after me they would be wearing a 160 pounds of dog
Anyone who would even THINK of going after you when you have a 160lb dog is either on crack, is the bravest person in the world or he has a death wish.
Old June 16th, 2006, 08:21 PM

All of our previous dogs were quite protective of their family. My childhood dog, Lassie, would not leave my side no matter what. Always protecting me from anybody and everything. I remember one time in particular I was at our cottage by the water while Lassie was at the house on the porch. A car drove up and a guy got out and came over to talk to me. Within seconds of that car door opening, Lassie was by my side watching their every move. She did not bark, nor growl, she watched and was in her protective stance. I have no doubt that she would have defended me should she have felt the need, she had so previously. She was very aware of our property line as well, even though there are no fences. Nobody could cross that line otherwise they would have her biting at their heels. She only weighed 30lbs and stood 15 inches, but she did scare off people.

Misty on the other hand is quite friendly. She has protected me once. I was walking to my car from the vet's office when a guy approached us, Misty did not like him and it was the first time that I had ever seen her use a protective stance and a very low warning growl. It was enough to get him to back off and enough for me to get Misty in the car with my purse and we drove away. I still believe he was after my purse. Usually though, she is more concerned about what people are eating and what she can steal. She will defend all her stolen food prizes though, even from me!

Princess is frightened of everything. She would be the one to run away in the opposite direction screaming! Misty is quite protective of her though. We are still working on many of her fear issues. But then again, she is only 5 months old.
Old June 17th, 2006, 07:13 AM
Rottie owner and lover

Harley is not protective, or what many people confuse with possesive. He judges scenerios just fine. He will let out a warning muffle if someone is talking outside my door, which suits me just fine. I am not his object to protect, or to possess. If someone were to hit me, then he jumps in, and seperates....GOOD BOY.....hever ever seen him raise his gums to show teeth...NEVER
Old June 17th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Joey is protective of me - yesterday I hired someone to come haul some garbage away and Joey was growelling like crazy at him - other people like our friends he just ignores or seeks out for pets.

I noticed Joey doenst like men - like contstruction workers - or men that do like physical labour work - and both the men that Joey growelled at drove trucks filled with lots of stuff.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!