Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 31st, 2013, 08:39 AM

Big dog lunging [excited not aggressive]

Hi,

I have a 3.5 yo female Newfie mix.
She is a sweet dog.
But when we walk on leash, she always lunges to greet other dogs on leash.
Not aggressively, she's just excited to meet them.
But it's frustrating and difficult to manage her.
And some dogs (and owners) don't like to be lunged at - well-intentioned or not
I use a choke collar and I have tried various techniques.
But she's just not responding.
I live on a canal with a walk path on each side of the water so it's quite busy.
I could try to avoid other dogs, but I'd rather not.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old May 31st, 2013, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you thought of going to a dog trainer for help?
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:03 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Have you ever tried a Gentle Leader or a Martingale Collar? I would reccomend the gentle leader untill your pup learns to walk properly on leash and then maybe you can work up to a regular collar. The gentle leader allows you to have a bit more control than a choke chain.

Do you know someone else with a dog that you may be able to take some walks with? somoene you can socialize the pup with? this may help as well.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 31st, 2013, 09:39 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Have you ever tried a Gentle Leader or a Martingale Collar? I would reccomend the gentle leader untill your pup learns to walk properly on leash and then maybe you can work up to a regular collar. The gentle leader allows you to have a bit more control than a choke chain.

Do you know someone else with a dog that you may be able to take some walks with? somoene you can socialize the pup with? this may help as well.
The dog is 3 and a half years old , and it may take more than a Gentle Leader
to get the dog from lunging. My last dog wore a Gentle Leader but he had a lot of training too to teach to not pull or lung . A Gentle Leader has to put on correctly in order to made a difference , if it's too lose it will not do anything and too tight is painful to the dog.
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:57 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Just offering my advice. I know many dogs that have used a gentle leader at various stages and ages and they worked quite well. I also understand that the lunging is an issue but my main point was that the gentle leader may provide her with a little more control thats all??

Good Luck with whatever method you try.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 1st, 2013, 12:04 AM
Senior Contributor

How about you give it approach words, like 'Say hello', then each time it tries to lunge either stop dead and wait for it to settle, or walk it quietly in a circle and try again. Keep it very low key, don't do anything to excite her. You really need someone with another, or other dogs to work with you perhaps. I've had to combine my halts with a very firm 'NO! Leave it!' because my pup, Roo, is a reactive young cattle dog that takes a dislike to some of the unusual breeds he meets at Obedience. His lunging therefore, on occasions, is a bit more serious. Your disadvantage of course is the sheer size of your girl. Her strength. That's where your Gentle Leader would help. Good luck, and let us know how you are going. If you find a solution it could help someone else here.
Old June 1st, 2013, 06:22 AM

I also agree with the GL or Halti approach - you can redirect the head and have your puppers focus back on you and away from that exciting other dog approaching I'd also start teaching a 'look at me' command - so when that other dogs approaches, you can give the command and your dog is more interested in looking at you.

With Loki - I taught him that a cluck of my tongue (I was too lazy to get a clicker..) meant for him to look at me and he got a really high value reward. We practiced it lots and now we can walk by other dogs with no problem - in fact, he looks at me before I even give the signal now

As long as you're very sure your dog is just excited and it's not a reactivity issue or fear... in that case, I would suggest you look up and practice BAT: http://functionalrewards.com/

Good luck to you
Old June 1st, 2013, 07:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt

This book helped me tremendously. Look at the great reviews this book is getting. Some of the techniques might help you too. Our biggest problem was getting past the yard with the big, nasty black dog who charged her fence at us. This book helped me get off the prong and now we walk by, the other dog raging, and my boy completely focused on me.

I cannot emphasize strongly enough how much better it would go for you if you enrolled in obedience classes. Trying to implement any kind of training without working first in a controlled situation is like jumping into the deep end before you know how to swim. Good luck.
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:05 AM

Thanks for the replies.
Will try to address some of the comments.
The work with a friend's dog is nice in theory, but the problem is
she only does it with dogs she doesn't know.
I have tried and doesn't work.
Same for stopping, doing a walk around etc;
It's still the same lunging and while I can handle it (luckily)
it is tiring for me.
Will think about halti idea.
I've tried the look at me but once she knows a dog is there (be it
50 ft or 5 ft away) it doesn't work.
Obedience training might be required here.
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie-mix View Post
I've tried the look at me but once she knows a dog is there (be it 50 ft or 5 ft away) it doesn't work.
The trick is to not go over the dog's threshold while practicing. Work on the look at me command without the distractions (ie, in the house) and then start small. Work on it during walks even if there are no dogs around. If she starts to get excited at 5 ft, then you've already crossed the threshold and no learning can be done at that point.

It will work, but it takes lots of patience and consistency. I'd also use something of really high value only during those times - ie, cheese, dehydrated liver, beef, etc. The only time she gets those treats is for looking at you and remaining calm
Old June 2nd, 2013, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, it's a slow and gradual thing, the "look at that" game. We didn't just start it and get past the nasty dog the next day. That took many months. And a key I've learned is to start working the game BEFORE we get to her yard. I never know when she will be out and I can't leave it till the last minute. One neat thing is, the more my dog focuses on me the less that dog rages.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:46 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Good advice here

I also agree that some group obedience training (from someone recommended that you trust) can only help here.
Good luck.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter

Tags
lunge, lunger, lunges, lunging, pulling