Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Socializing a year old puppy

This might be jumbled but I need help

I have a friend who im going to be dog sitting for..she just got a year old westie who is terrified of people, its ok with other dogs. The breeder drove him down from Windsor and told my friend not to walk him at all for 2 weeks?

He's going to be staying at my house so I went over with my pap so they could meet on neutral territory. Him and my pup got along great but he wont come anywhere near me or anyone else and she expects me to "fix" him (I've completed my dogs advanced obedience but im not a behaviorist). I would love to help him but I don't know where to start. She also wants me to housebreak him (a one year old who isn’t house broken?). I suspect he was just kind of left outside at the breeders? Help me please
Old June 4th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Another great breeder, by the sounds of it.

Socializing a dog like this is a very difficult job, and if not done right can make the problem much worse, or could result in fear-aggressive attacks.

A year old dog like this is going to take a long time to rehabilitate, and there is no way to housetrain him as long as he is so fearful and has no trust.

I highly suggest your friend contact a behaviorist, who can give her pointers on what to do.
Old June 4th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Not housebroken or socialized to people. Sounds like a puppymill dog.

There is no easy way to either housebreak or socialize this dog. It is going to take a TON of patience and LOTS of time! If your friend doesn't have either time or patience - then she might consider looking for a rescue group that specializes is this type of dog and see if they have room for the poor dog.
Old June 4th, 2006, 05:17 PM

I think if it doesn’t work out with her im getting another pup, im already in love with him. She said "I have 7 seven days to return him, no questions asked". I think my jaw hit the floor! he just needs a bit of help, I can tell he's a sweet dog. I'm thinking im going to send her to my trainer but in the meantime while he's here im assuming I should take it slow and not force him, he loves playing with my pap though. Apparently for the first two days he never left his crate. I had my suspicions about the origins of the dog.
She wants her dog to be like mine, happy, playful but is obedient...I told her dogs arent born that way, you have to work hard...the breeder also told her he was going to be a show dog but was too small

Last edited by Swanky_Kitten; June 4th, 2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old June 4th, 2006, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not buying the showdog thing. Everybody that I know that shows spends a TON of time socializing their dogs. Heck, there are more people then dogs at dog shows and the dog has to be socialized to be able to stand for exam.

Sorry - I'm betting that he wouldn't perform with a female.
Old June 4th, 2006, 05:38 PM

Im so frustrated you know what i mean, i tried to talk her out of a dog when she was thinking about it...but you know how some people are..she wants me to look after her dog every weekend now..i don't mind watching him but why would you get a dog if your going to give it to a friend every weekend??. She got him fixed the day after she got him (atleast i got that through to her).
So should i just let them play together (while i supervise) and have him come to me when he's comfortable?