Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 24th, 2012, 08:34 PM

Exclamation My new pit bull puppy help!!@!

Hi i just recently got a 7 wk old bluenose pitbull puppy. Im not new to the breed i had the best pitbull staffy mix a few years back.So i understands what comes with the breed, im just wondering if her growling and biting is normal since shes only 7 wks. I got my previous dog when she was about 6 mnths old and she understood no biting hard, the difference between play bites and hard bites.My new puppy seems to be trying to be more dominate she scrams and kicks if i try to hold her down on her back she nips at my face and arms but seems to calm down if i yelp like it hurts. Is this normal or is my dog showing agression signs. i know shes just a baby but im getting like a milion different views from my friends and would like to see if anyone has been through this
Old March 24th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Go see a trainer.....holding a defenseless puppy on its back is just teaching it to bite.....

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old March 24th, 2012, 09:59 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

It might just be normal puppy behavior, bellajay, since pups are very mouth-oriented and can be very high energy. But it's very hard to tell over the internet since we can't see what her body language is like or what the context of the behavior is. I agree with Shay that your best option at this point is to seek out a trainer (do your homework and check credentials) to have an evaluation done. Luckily she's quite young and if there is a problem, you should be able to nip it in the bud.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:06 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

YOu really need to work on bite inhibition with your pup at this stage in life. At 7 weeks your pup should still be with its mother and litter mates, no puppy should leave for a new home prior to 8 weeks of age and even that I feel is too soon.
May I ask why you are holding her on her back? Are you trying to alpha roll her? If so, why? What are you hoping to accomplish with that.
Alpha rolling is NOT recommended for most dogs, and most people should not alpha roll a dog, if you do alpha roll you have to know when and why to do it.
Get her some vaccines and definitely find a reputable trainer. For now, any time she starts biting, all fun should stop. move your hands away from her and ignore her. Become a statue of sorts.
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Check out the Edmonton Humane Society, they have classes for Bully Breeds, there is a trainer there that is very knowledgeable about Pit Bulls, Bilinda.
Old March 25th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I agree with everyone, this is a fab time to see a referred trainer. Group obedience classes would be a fab idea.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old March 25th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I totally agree with everyone, a reputable trainer is in order. All puppies should have at the very least 2 sessions. It not only helps teach the puppies but it will help the owners learn the correct way to handle the puppy and will also socialize the puppy with other dogs, which is very important.

Good luck with your little sweetheart.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:36 PM

Agreed with pbpatti,
the pit classes are taught by a very experienced, wonderful trainer/pit owner.
You did get the pup very young. Nothing you can do about it now, but please get help with your girl. Best to get her off to a good start.
My dog was very bitey when I got him, and it was worth the effort it took to get him to stop