Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 7th, 2011, 10:19 PM

Question Constant soft stool means what?

When I first got Thor 1 month ago(he'll be 5 months on the 12th), his poop was normal. firm, log like, and basically normal dog poop.
A week and a half after I got him, I bought him a edible dog bone flavored like bacon....and holy wow!
The next day his poop was watery...literally looked like he was peeing when in fact he was pooing.
Everything else stayed the same tho. His energy was high as ever(if not more...lol)...his appetite was great...basically he was normal. But his poop wasn't.
So I automatically went and bought pumpkin. Cut back on treats. And just watched him. At the vets recommendation after I called him.
All the pumpkin did was make him go 8 times in that night!(all in my hallway...ugh...lol)
It "hardened" up to guey tho...but not "solid".
I kinda blew that off as his food, as I'm slowly transitioning him from Nutrience puppy food to Taste of the Wild.(and had just started to transition him at that same time)
But now, almost 2 weeks later, his stool is STILL just guey.
He is still normal in every other way tho.
He eats his half cup of food in like 5 min flat(he gets half a cup twice a day), and plays hard as ever.
I will say tho, his food transition isn't done yet....we did 3 cups old, 1 new(that lasted 4 days) then it was 2 cups old, 2 new(that lasted 4 days) then now we're on 3 new, 1 old(we're on day 3 of 4).
He's completely healthy....just his poop isn't. I've even noticed mucus in it occasionally.
He has a vet appointment next weds, to get his last puppy shots, so gonna talk to the vet again then, but is this something to be worried about?
Basically, I'll be blunt, I have the savings to pay for whatever test is NESSASARY, but would rather NOT pay for a test, if it's not, and I"m worried the vet will just want to run all types of tests, charge me an arm and a leg, only to find out it's ok, it's normal, and he'll outgrow it.
I have the savings, but I'm not rich by any means...and would rather keep the savings for emergencies the could arise, as opposed to spending it on stuff that wasn't generally nessasary.
But ya, any inputs would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you,
Angie
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

A vet visit is needed. Bring a poop sample on your visit. And we need pictures.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:28 PM

I'm sure Shaykeija meant a picture of the "pup", not the other stuff.
Old April 7th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL I have 4 dogs, I know that the other stuff looks like.... need the pup's picture..lol

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:12 PM

Picture coming soon....lol
Angie
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:15 PM

And that's the little guy that has me kinda worried...
Altho once in a blue moon is poop is 100% normal...it's just weird...
I guess his vet visit april 13th will explain all....I just hope it doesn't cost me my whole savings account to figure it out tho....
Angie
Old April 7th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Now that is one cutie....

Old April 8th, 2011, 12:04 AM
-

A fecal sample won't run you much over 40 bucks and it really is the easiest place to start. Once you rule out or treat for parasites you can start looking at his food. Some dogs do take weeks to adjust to a new diet. Others adjust far more quickly if not immediately. You may also be looking at food sensitivity/ intolerance issues with his new kibble. If that is the case, then we can certainly coach you through how to do THAT < she says wincing in memory of the experience>.
Old April 8th, 2011, 12:49 AM

Well I just defrosted some more of the pumpkin I have(been 1.5 weeks since he's had any)....gave it to him as a "treat"(a tablespoon worth)..he LOVES it...now just hoping it'll do it's job...and not to where I wake up to 8 LOVELY piles of poop in the morning like I did last time...ugh...lol..cuz it is NOT fun pickin up, and scrubing carpet at 7am...
Angie
Old April 8th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Senior Contributor

All 4 of mine get pumpkin in every meal. So they get about 2 tablespoons a day each. For really soupy poopies, on the advise from my vet, I use 1/2 tablet imodium. Tyra gets the soupies on a regular basis. We can never figure that one out. I have had her tested and the vet says she is just a little sensitive.

Old April 8th, 2011, 05:31 AM

Is it possible you're over feeding? Remember you'll feed considerably less with grain free food than with a grain-inclusive one
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:05 AM

I don't think it's the over feeding....as he acts half starved when I do feed him and I've already cut back what he use to get (From 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup each feeding) thinking it was that I was over feeding...
This morning he's a little firmer, but still soft....so the pumpkin did nothing much...sigh.
I just don't get it with him....I really don't.
Angie
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Half Way To Crazy

some dogs always seem hungry regardless of how much you feed/give treats (would eat the whole bag) while others are happy with whatever amount you give them.(regulates themselves)

I would bring in a sample of poop to rule out parasites first then I would look at these options

how much more kibble are you giving him in his kong??aside from his 1 cup a day..
how much peanut butter are you giving him in the kong??Some dogs do not tolerate peanut-butter
what kind of treats are you giving him??
or maybe the food itself is not the right food for him.
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:37 AM
-

Psyllium (the stuff that's in Metamucil) is also effective in treating both soft stools and constipation.
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:42 AM
-

The other thing to remember is that if it is parasites, they are cyclic and your pupper may appear to have "recovered" when there are more or less eggs only in the gut and ill when the eggs hatch and become active in the gut.
Old April 8th, 2011, 09:51 AM

First, that is one of the cutest puppy faces I've seen in a while.

It sounds like you have a few things that need to be ruled out to get the stool solid. First would be a fecal test to check for parasites. You mentioned mucus in the stool and that can be a symptom of giardia as well as whipworm. Are you seeing any blood in the stool? I guessing not, or you would have seen the vet by now. Mucus and loose stool can also be seen with intestinal infections. And finally, you could be dealing with the pup not handling his food well. It can take some time to sort these things out.

A couple of months ago my pup (Ozzie who was about 6 1/2 months old) had to travel with us due to a death in the family. He was left alone more than normal, put back in his play pen and was just all around stressed out. The day we got ready to come home--explosive, liquid poo. It didn't resolve in a couple of days and I was seeing mucus in the stool. Because I had given an interceptor heartworm pill a few days prior to the episode starting, the vet didn't want to start with the fecal (all past had been negative and our other dog wasn't showing signs). I was given a few days of an antibiotic called Flagyl/Metronidazole. It cleared things right up. The pup's immune system just isn't as developed, so little things can hit them harder than an adult. I didn't have to take my pup to the vet, just pick up the prescription. It wasn't expensive. I do have a very good relationship with my vet--as many of us on this board do. Good luck.
Old April 8th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Jag and Gingers dad

I agree with the rest on the stool sample going to the vet.I don't know the brand your feeding if it is grain free or not. my boy is the same way with soft stools has been since he was 11 months old.all tests are fine.2 different vets think it's his sensitive tummy that is causing it.so when i have the money i get a probotic and it starts to firm up after a few day's or a give a light sprikle of metamucil to firm him up.
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry Thor is still having these issues. Please don't entirely rule out the amount of food you are feeding him. As I said before my lab Halo weighs 60+ pounds and eats 1/2 cup of Taste of the Wild twice a day plus about 7 cookies through the day, and maybe 1/4 cup of chicken livers on her meals. Thor is eating 1/2 cup of the same food twice a day and he weighs what? 5 lbs? Some dogs behave as if they are starving always. Trust yourself on this one, not Thor's appetite. But don't starve him either please! Also, some dogs will always have soft stools, it's just how their tummies process stuff. Halo has allergies and has had soft stools for most of her life, although on the Taste of the Wild they are much better. But as the others said, a stool sample for a vet test is the first step to rule out any parasites or bacteria. Good luck to you, and keep those cute pictures coming!
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:18 PM

My bf is laughing his behind off at me....when I told him that I would have to baggy a pile of the thing that grosses us out(you try cleaning up poop that's oozes into the carpet...ugh..lol)...he is like "good luck with that...haha".
I figure I'll bring it with me, talk to the vet, and if he requests one, I'll have it handy...lol
I'm not to bad, might not even have to touch my savings...as my visa just arrived(just in time to!go figure...lol)....visa was for "just in cases"...and this is a just in case kinda thing...I get paid 2 days after his vet appointment, so I should be able cover the bill on my visa, as long as it's not TO high.(I don't want a balance on my visa at all, I HATE paying interest on things!).
I just want my little boy healthy....or even if it means soft stool, as long as I KNOW he's healthy, then I'll just keep scrubbing away at the carpet(cause little bugger has decided to hit everywhere BUT the pads the last couple days, after being like 95% pad trained for a couple weeks!).
My mom keeps saying "just like a baby"...but dang it, I didn't realise just how much puppies could be just like babies! Altho babies don't chew carpets...lol
But ya....weds will tell all I guess....fingers crossed it's something simple, and cheap(ish) to treat!
It's not treats, that I know, cause I'll admit, i stopped treats about 5 or so days ago, thinking that...he gets his kibble bits as a treat now.
In his kong at night, he gets about 15-30 peices of his food.
And he hasn't even tasted peanut butter yet....after the edible chew bones thing, I haven't trusted it...lol
Angie
Altho the bf just admitted last night that he's been known to feed Thor TWICE at night....half a cup at around 5ish, then he'll feed him again around 8ish(I usually work til 10)....so I just explained that regardless of how hungry he may seem, he's not THAT hungry, and that over feeding could be what's causing his soft stool...bf swears he'll only feed him ONCE every night now....
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:33 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL I would not save the poop, you will have to bring in a fresh sample...I have this image of you two gagging..lol Welcome to pet ownership, where you will be happy when you pup drops a proper turd....lol

Old April 8th, 2011, 11:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Correct that Shay that we'll all be doing the happy dance when Thor has a good turd!! Where else but on a pets board??
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:49 PM

Oh I don't plan to baggy it until we're about ready to go to the vet's....that should be fresh enough I hope....cuz knowing Thor he won't poop there, if we wanted him to...he tends to be stubborn that way...haha.
But ya...I don't gag...I just don't like it...lol(I use to give my mom's lhasa butt baths when her poop would get stuck to her, thanks to her hair...so poop don't bug me...lol).
The bf tho, gags BIG time, and now admits(after always denying it when I teased him that he never would) that once we have a baby, stinky diapers are ALL mine....GRRRRRREAT! No more 50/50 like he said.....says Thor showed him that he could NEVER do it...lmao!!!
I've LOVE LOVE LOVE a proper turd, cause then it's scoop it up, flush it, and it's done....instead of scoop, wipe, spray, scrub, spray, scrub...scrub some more,spray again if needed, scrub again and hope to god it doesn't stain TO much...ugh...lol
Angie
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:31 PM

So...here's the update.
Thor's poop has been completely normal(yahoo!!) for the last 2 days straight!
So I'm guessing the soft stool was in fact from my bf feeding him a third time in the day when I didn't know...
Cause he hasn't the last 3 nights, and tada...normal log like poops started!
So should I still ask for a poop smear at the vet's tomorrow, or not?
Or is he good for now...as long as his poop stays firm?
Angie
Old April 12th, 2011, 02:36 PM

That is great news! Sounds like you've probably gotten to the bottom of it! With that extra feeding, that was sure a LOT of food for your little dog! My Mom's dogs are all around 10lbs and I think they only eat about 1/3cup a day plus a few treats, mind you they are all adults. Anyway, you are right that he will try and tell you that he's hungry ALL the time!!! LOL
Yay for normal stool!
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Just to be on the safe side, bring the hershy bar in and have them test it.

Old April 13th, 2011, 10:21 PM

Well Thor had his vet appointment today...he had his last distemper shot, and his rabies shot. Aparently he's done for shots now for the next yr....good thing, cause they aren't cheap!!(his last ones were covered by the store I got him at)...$130 for just two shots...
I was thinking about $60 like back home, cause back home they don't charge an office visit for needles....this vet did, a whole $66 bux just for him to jab my dog!
But ya, talked to him about the stool...what happened, how it's firmed up, how fine Thor is other wise, so he didn't think testing the poop was nessasary(I carried poop on me for nothing! lol)....
But ya...so everything is good
Angie
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Well all that and a bag of poop...LOL Glad the little fart is feeling better.

Old April 13th, 2011, 10:42 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Wow, cutest puppy this year I say.
Since the poop is sorted out a bit, I think its time for way more pics. A face like that I dont think anyone can grow tired of seeing
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:25 PM

I'll try to get some more recent ones....all of these are from the first week I had him...so a month ago.
So if I have time I'll try to get new ones tomorrow.
But ya....enjoy...lol...cause I sure enjoy showing him off!

Oh, and he's gained almost 2 whole pounds since!
Last vet appointment(march 9th) he was 4lb 6oz....he's now 6lbs, 2oz!
Angie
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Aww, I just love that last one

He's absolutely adorable. I dont think I have ever been so smitten by a small breed like this.